Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if it's not cleared by 8:30 PM, Dekalb Avenue is going to have fun having 5 lines sharing the same track northbound.

Hold on, which lines would those be? You have the (B)(Q) running over those tracks as usual, then the (R) merging like it was earlier in the day, and then the (D)(N) bypassing DeKalb like they normally do.

I can't think of an extra line or merge that happens at 8:30, unless I'm missing something (serious question)?

Hold on, which lines would those be? You have the (B)(Q) running over those tracks as usual, then the (R) merging like it was earlier in the day, and then the (D)(N) bypassing DeKalb like they normally do.

I can't think of an extra line or merge that happens at 8:30, unless I'm missing something (serious question)?

There's an (R) train GO where service ends earlier than normal (about 10 ish), with no service at all between 10pm and 5am, so maybe the (D)(N) start running local earlier?

A little late to the game, but I heard something at Fulton Center/Cortlandt St station yesterday. It went a little like "There is no (R) service at this station, for service to Brooklyn and Queens take the (W) to Canal Street and transfer to the (R) ".

It also mentioned the water main break, though. Now I know what that's about. Thanks for the link.

The congestion was so bad, though, I actually took the PATH (!) from 23 St to Cortlandt St/WTC.

Edited by agar io

The D and N went local on 4 Avenue to make room for work trains.

There's an (R) train GO where service ends earlier than normal (about 10 ish), with no service at all between 10pm and 5am, so maybe the (D)(N) start running local earlier?

Nope. The reason is the Concourse Fastrack is going on and the work trains for the Fastrack travels on the express tracks. 

Same thing will be going on this upcoming week as well.

This is a really tough one. (7) service is suspended as well. 

Might have to keep those (R)’s running in Manhattan/Queens or extend the (N) via QBL in the overnight hours if this doesn’t get fixed soon. 

Service Change   Posted: 03/04/2017 11:06PM

Due to a NYPD investigation at 36 Av, there is no n.png train service between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and 57-7Av in both directions.

As an alternative, for 5 Av and Lexington Av-59 St, take r.png train service instead. 

For Queensboro Plaza, take r.png trains to nearby Queens Plaza. 

For 39 Av36 AvBroadway30 AvAstoria Blvd and Ditmars Blvd, take r.png train to Queens Plaza for Q69Q100 or Q102bus service making nearby n.png train stops.

Allow additional travel time.

https://twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status/838225802206527489

Edited by R42N

This is like the fifth time I've seen something new on service changes/delays I believe.

Delays Posted: 03/05/2017 12:00PM

Due to signal problems at York St, northbound (A), (C) and (F) trains running with delays.

Some northbound (F) trains will run on the (G) line from Bergen St to Court Sq and then on the (E) line to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av.

Note: Maintainers are on the scene at York St, working to correct the situation. We will keep you update.

Edited by ShadeJay

This is a really tough one. (7) service is suspended as well. 

Might have to keep those (R)’s running in Manhattan/Queens or extend the (N) via QBL in the overnight hours if this doesn’t get fixed soon. 

Service Change   Posted: 03/04/2017 11:06PM

Due to a NYPD investigation at 36 Av, there is no n.png train service between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and 57-7Av in both directions.

As an alternative, for 5 Av and Lexington Av-59 St, take r.png train service instead. 

For Queensboro Plaza, take r.png trains to nearby Queens Plaza. 

For 39 Av36 AvBroadway30 AvAstoria Blvd and Ditmars Blvd, take r.png train to Queens Plaza for Q69Q100 or Q102bus service making nearby n.png train stops.

https://twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status/838225802206527489

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the (N) go to Lexington-60th and did a quick turnaround OR followed the (Q) to 96th-2nd?  This is why not building 72nd/2nd with three tracks was a mistake, that third track could have been sorely used for something like this.

Service Change  Posted: 03/06/2017  7:58AM 

Due to ongoing Sandy repair work at Chambers St, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no c.png train service between 168 St and Euclid Av in both directions.  

a.png trains are running local between 168 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle southbound.

Northbound a.png trains are running on the f.png line from Jay St-Metrotech to W 4 St-Wash Sq.  

Customers are advised to use 1.png2.png 3.png b.pngd.pnge.pngf.png j.pngl.png m.png n.png and q.png train service.

Expect delays and congestion along the a.png line in both directions.

What happened this AM on the (A), (C), (F), (G) lines???

Delays because of:

1. Emergency track work near Chambers Street

2. No (C) trains due to said track work

3. Delayed and rerouted (A) local trains via Delancey Street

4. Delayed (F) trains, with some via Crosstown due to said (A) trains

5. Delayed (G) trains due to said rerouted (F) trains

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the (N) go to Lexington-60th and did a quick turnaround OR followed the (Q) to 96th-2nd?  This is why not building 72nd/2nd with three tracks was a mistake, that third track could have been sorely used for something like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if those (N) trains actually did run to 96 Street. Obviously, they cannot turn trains at 57 St-7 Av with continuous (Q) service in the way, which on a side note is why the (N) wouldn't be able to terminate at Lexington Av. The service alert only states there is no normal service north of 57 Street. There is nothing stating where those (N) trains were running to/from, possibly for fear of information overload. 

What happened this AM on the (A), (C), (F), (G) lines???

Weekend work overruns at Chambers St and a signal malfunction at Jay St.

I wouldn't be surprised if those (N) trains actually did run to 96 Street. Obviously, they cannot turn trains at 57 St-7 Av with continuous (Q) service in the way, which on a side note is why the (N) wouldn't be able to terminate at Lexington Av. The service alert only states there is no normal service north of 57 Street. There is nothing stating where those (N) trains were running to/from, possibly for fear of information overload. 

That is true, but I was more thinking what if the (R) was NOT running by that point.  Then, Lexington Avenue could have been used as a terminal since the (R) would have been a non-factor (and even if so, you could always have had the (R) run as express or move to the express track at 57th/7th and run via 63rd, stopping at Queensbridge and added a shuttle bus between Queensbridge and Queens and Queensboro Plaza (and if needed, a second shuttle bus between Queens Plaza and 36th).

So we've been put under a blizzard watch for Tuesday. Forecast is 12"-18". Think the (MTA) will do a full shutdown?

They didn't last year when we got 28" of snow (just missing the record for one storm) with the underground portions remaining open.

There was so much blowback two years ago when Cuomo ordered the whole system shutdown (that I believe was politically motivated out of fear that someone at the (MTA) would go rogue and create a problem similar to the 2010 blizzard that would hurt Cuomo if he had run for President in 2016, with that blowback including Wall Street as I remember getting severely PO'ed) that I seriously doubt Cuomo would try that again, especially if such would PO the new President (as I would think Trump would not be pleased).  Cuomo right now to me is the likely frontrunner for 2020 and unlike other opponents, Trump would probably use a subway shutdown against Cuomo, especially if like two years ago Wall Street happened to have a repeat or worse of what happened when Cuomo did it (Dow lost 275 points that day and it was blamed in a lot of circles by the shutdown with many not able to get to their desks).  

They didn't last year when we got 28" of snow (just missing the record for one storm) with the underground portions remaining open.

There was so much blowback two years ago when Cuomo ordered the whole system shutdown (that I believe was politically motivated out of fear that someone at the (MTA) would go rogue and create a problem similar to the 2010 blizzard that would hurt Cuomo if he had run for President in 2016, with that blowback including Wall Street as I remember getting severely PO'ed) that I seriously doubt Cuomo would try that again, especially if such would PO the new President (as I would think Trump would not be pleased).  Cuomo right now to me is the likely frontrunner for 2020 and unlike other opponents, Trump would probably use a subway shutdown against Cuomo, especially if like two years ago Wall Street happened to have a repeat or worse of what happened when Cuomo did it (Dow lost 275 points that day and it was blamed in a lot of circles by the shutdown with many not able to get to their desks).  

We've already explained why this narrative is false...

Seriously, your blaming the Dow losing 275 points on the subway?!

Preliminary plans (as always subject to change) show a Plan 5 happening.

In a nutshell, all outdoor platforms will be shut down and trains will be terminating at the closest underground station.

Would the LIRR shut down as well?