Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know.

Another question? Why do they call it Prospect Park instead of Lincoln Road? I noticed the walkways on [emoji578] Brighton line stations still have legacy signage, kinda like the signage at Willet's Point Boulevard.

What do those encircled numbers represent?

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

The main entrance to Prospect Park on the eastern end is/was located at the intersection of Ocean and Flatbush Avenues. It was also the exit for the zoo and for Ebbets Field. It was also my home station for fifteen years. The Lincoln Road end is the secondary entrance historically even though most neighborhood residents use that end of the station. Since you seem to be interested in the history of the Brighton line I would advise you look up the timeline of the northern part of the original line. Then your answer should be obvious. Carry on.

The main entrance to Prospect Park on the eastern end is/was located at the intersection of Ocean and Flatbush Avenues. It was also the exit for the zoo and for Ebbets Field. It was also my home station for fifteen years. The Lincoln Road end is the secondary entrance historically even though most neighborhood residents use that end of the station. Since you seem to be interested in the history of the Brighton line I would advise you look up the timeline of the northern part of the original line. Then your answer should be obvious. Carry on.

Said it better than I could [emoji122]

I believe someone mentioned they were waiting for this service change to happen.

Well, here's a picture.

cdb99487b19c5ea0bf5c1fc85d8ef957.jpg

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer

Yeah, got totally f**ked over by the (Q) delay today. Tons of people waiting at 96th without any announcements, only on the digital readout. And had to walk to Lexington in pouring rain...

The (Q) must have been PACKED.  I wonder if they get two trains in a row to get to 96th do they send  one empty to 72nd and have a train make all stops behind it? or  do they have it pick up at 96th an 86th and bypass 72nd to have an empty train behind it, or just let the trains be stuffed  on the way to Lexington/63rd?

I'll give it a go. Guess I'll have to do the link hunting since you didn't post one...[emoji57]

The (Q) must have been PACKED.  I wonder if they get two trains in a row to get to 96th do they send  one empty to 72nd and have a train make all stops behind it? or  do they have it pick up at 96th an 86th and bypass 72nd to have an empty train behind it, or just let the trains be stuffed  on the way to Lexington/63rd?

That's more of a bus thing than a subway thing. The subway thing to do would be have train #1 pick up at 96th then skip 86th and 72nd, with train #2 making all stops.

Speaking of skips, I heard one time that they don't really do battery runs on the (A), I wonder if that's true?

If they build the 2 Avenue Line as proposed, those two tracks will be the (Q)’s only outlet to the rest of the system. Not having track connections at Grand Street is going to be a very bad idea.

When I rode the line during its first week, I described an incident where the train skipped 72 Street due to lateness. Presumably, the same protocol operates in most instances.

I'll give it a go. Guess I'll have to do the link hunting since you didn't post one...[emoji57]

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer

I seem to recall someone who posts in the bus threads that portrayed himself as knowledgeable in most things pertaining to transit. Seems like something like this would be rather easy to research. Brooklyn and the Brighton line are relatively easy to find it seems to me.

I seem to recall someone who posts in the bus threads that portrayed himself as knowledgeable in most things pertaining to transit. Seems like something like this would be rather easy to research. Brooklyn and the Brighton line are relatively easy to find it seems to me.

I also recall someone saying that he joined this community with holes in that knowledge and he sought collaboration to improve it.

If I knew it all then I wouldn't travel. But since I don't, traveling is a great way for me to learn new things and visit new places.

I find my remark concessional and reasonable. Your sarcasm, not so much. [emoji53]

I was on the (E) from Roosevelt Avenue and saw an (R) delayed at 36 Street. I didn’t think much of it until I got to West 4 Street–Washington Square and ran downstairs to an (R) train sitting on the express track. Trains were backed up over the bridge as the (R) passed by both a (Q) and (N) on the way to DeKalb Avenue. At DeKalb Avenue, the (B) behind my (R) cut in front of the (Q). As luck would have it, that (B) helped me catch another (Q).

DeKalb becomes hell when all 5 services are running through there. Not only will Broadway be backed up severely, you got the (W) which is the only line to lower Manhattan, you got the (N)(Q) AND (R) via Bridge which will SEVERELY back up the bridge and bottleneck the hell out of DeKalb Avenue.

That's more of a bus thing than a subway thing. The subway thing to do would be have train #1 pick up at 96th then skip 86th and 72nd, with train #2 making all stops.

Speaking of skips, I heard one time that they don't really do battery runs on the (A), I wonder if that's true?

I mean, what stops could you realistically skip? It's already express. Maybe High Street or some of the stops between Rockaway Blvd & Euclid Avenue, but that's about it.

I mean, what stops could you realistically skip? It's already express. Maybe High Street or some of the stops between Rockaway Blvd & Euclid Avenue, but that's about it.

I meant the latter. I've heard they avoid doing skips between Euclid Avenue and Lefferts/Far Rockaway and between 207th and 168th.

What's the purpose of a battery run?

I remember that an employee here mentioned that the correct term is a "skip-stop" run. It's supposed to get a train back on schedule. A battery run is when a train deadheads not in service. If I'm wrong, then any TA personnel correct me.

Everything on Broadway is screwed because (R) trains are being sent over the bridge...

Even my train got held in the station because of train traffic...and I was all the way back at 30 Av lol. T/O himself came out the cab and told us were gonna be sitting in the station for a while because he caught up to the train in front of him.

It got so bad, the bottleneck backed up all the way to 30 Av going TOWARDS Astoria. I got so annoyed by it, I got off at 39 Av and walked to the (G) at Court Sq.

I remember that an employee here mentioned that the correct term is a "skip-stop" run. It's supposed to get a train back on schedule. A battery run is when a train deadheads not in service. If I'm wrong, then any TA personnel correct me.

A battery run is a sequence of trains leaving the terminal after a long delay for crowd control. Like if there was a long delay in northbound (A) service up to 207 followed by a conga line of (A) trains coming up, the first one would run non-stop to 125, the second one leave right behind it and run non-stop to 168, and the third make regular stops. That term gets constantly misused on the message boards - a battery run is a SEQUENCE of trains, a skip or run is when a SINGLE train bypasses stops to make up time.

Also, we DO run skips between 168 and 207 when needed.