NYCT Eagle Team Set To Patrol Local Buses

FamousNYLover

http://www.mta.info/...ries/?story=753

In a stepped up effort to reduce incidents of fare evasion on MTA New York City Transit buses, the NYC Transit Department of Security will be increasing the Eagle Team force and deploying enforcement personnel along problem bus routes.

EagleTeam.jpg

First employed along Select Bus Service (SBS) routes, which require off-board fare payment and proof of payment once on the bus, the Eagle Team have been credited with creating an atmosphere of minimal fare evasion as well as near zero operator assaults along those routes.

The idea behind the use of Eagle Team is two-fold, first to serve as a deterrent against fare evasion and second to assist the NYPD, particularly notifying them about “hot spots” – locations we have identified where fare evasion is a problem.

“This is very much a collaborative effort between NYC Transit and the NYPD, who have been doing a tremendous job of enforcement,” said NYC Transit President Thomas F. Prendergast. “The value of the Eagle Teams will be in helping customers understand that this is not a free service while alerting the NYPD to the areas where we are experiencing problems.”

Eagle Team deployment will be intelligence based using a system based on the NYPD’s COMPSTAT- style analysis, which will take a close look at trends throughout the system. Eagle Team member will write $100.00 Transit Adjudication Bureau (TAB) summonses. The enforcement enhancements will double the Eagle Team force, which currently stands between 60 and 70.

“As with the SBS routes, we will operate with a blend of enforcement and customer service,” said Vincent DeMarino, NYC Transit’s Vice President of Security. “We will share our information with the NYPD and work with them towards our common goals.”

The stepped up enforcement is expected to be in place by the end of the year.

This is good idea like this video.

I wonder how effective this will be. Unlike on the SBS routes, there is no way to prove if someone already on the bus paid when he/she got in initially. Even if the B/O points the person out, there is no proof on the camera-less buses. This will only help make sure that the people at the stop with the Eagle Team members pay; if a farebeater sees the Eagle Team guys, he or she might just walk to the next stop.

I think this is only going on the SBS lines. Just like QM1to6Ave said (paraphrasing) There is no way to prove who has paid on regular routes. The only way this is going to work ( on regular local or limited routes) is by have them watch the fare box and picking out the people who simply don't pay. I wish i could be in charge of a eagle team unit.

So what does this mean for the bus photographers? These eagle guys likely to hassle em?

I agree.

I think this is only going on the SBS lines. Just like QM1to6Ave said (paraphrasing) There is no way to prove who has paid on regular routes. The only way this is going to work ( on regular local or limited routes) is by have them watch the fare box and picking out the people who simply don't pay. I wish i could be in charge of a eagle team unit.

This should be for SBS Lines. Really, you could just step right on one of those. How they gonna catch you without the Eagle Team.

This is post 1000!!!!!

They've wisened up, now all the fare beaters come in through the front door at least on the Concourse they do. I get one guy every Saturday night who claims he works for the parks and is entitled to a "courtesy" ride all the time. First two times I allowed it...third time I told him no and he got furious talking about I need to have consideration...c'mon now he's not looking for consideration more like looking to take advantage. A good chunk of the clientele on the Concourse are already getting all sorts of gov't assistance and want free transportation on top of that...for what to buy loose cigarettes, bum beer or stand online overnight for a pair of sneakers...if only they put that much effort in bettering them selves smh.

They've wisened up, now all the fare beaters come in through the front door at least on the Concourse they do. I get one guy every Saturday night who claims he works for the parks and is entitled to a "courtesy" ride all the time. First two times I allowed it...third time I told him no and he got furious talking about I need to have consideration...c'mon now he's not looking for consideration more like looking to take advantage. A good chunk of the clientele on the Concourse are already getting all sorts of gov't assistance and want free transportation on top of that...for what to buy loose cigarettes, bum beer or stand online overnight for a pair of sneakers...if only they put that much effort in bettering them selves smh.

LOL! Ugh, so are they concentrating on getting them on the Concourse now? I hope so. I am so sick of these freeloaders.

The ones that pay for their rides should ban together against them. If their route gets service cuts due to low revenue, those bums would be the reason...

Also as for the eagle team, they should be stationed at the major intersections throughout the city. Sure the bum would just move up or down the block, but at least it's better than nothing...

Once in a while I still see kids trying to enter via the rear door and that's at the junction where there are a few of those NYPD cameras. They just don't give a damn.

The ones that pay for their rides should ban together against them. If their route gets service cuts due to low revenue, those bums would be the reason...

Also as for the eagle team, they should be stationed at the major intersections throughout the city. Sure the bum would just move up or down the block, but at least it's better than nothing...

Once in a while I still see kids trying to enter via the rear door and that's at the junction where there are a few of those NYPD cameras. They just don't give a damn.

I agree, but I am glad that the (MTA) is finally taking a stand. You can't keep raising the fare on those who do pay and let others continue to steal rides from the system.

Regarding the Bx1/2, the Fordham stop is one place Eagle teams should monitor. Many instances of fare-beating there.

Also, I agree with GC; all that fare-beating causes ridership to be under-reported, resulting in service cuts. Incidentally, Bx1/2 bus service saw some cuts last April; the continued fare-beating irks me to no end.

Yes, the Bx1/2 is out of KB...as of the summer pick there are 73 runs down from 79. These people don't look past their selfish acts and consider how their actions are affecting bus service. Another thing, NYPD does some safety rides to prevent fare beating but a lot of these officers from the 52nd precint just take our badge number and get off the very next stop which is literally just a block away.

So what does this mean for the bus photographers? These eagle guys likely to hassle em?

Thats a question mark. I of course have filmed buses in front of them and don't see an issue. But don't care if those are around, Ill still film! If i have to prove to them, then I will in a calm way.

Archived