Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's even a sir.png GO this weekend, and they hardly ever have those down there other than the occasional track change at the stops  :lol:. I think they're using this time to demolish Nassau and Atlantic...

Do they even call Staten Island service disruptions "GO's"?

If that is the case, then someone should be there to document it.

If that is the case, then someone should be there to document it.

The problem is, if they are demolishing the stations, the time of demolition is unknown to most people, and nobody is willing to wait there for the entire length of the G/O (1 AM Saturday to 4 AM Monday)...

The problem is, if they are demolishing the stations, the time of demolition is unknown to most people, and nobody is willing to wait there for the entire length of the G/O (1 AM Saturday to 4 AM Monday)...

Count me out too. From my neck of the woods it's easier for me to get to Poughkeepsie than Staten Island, especially when the (1) and the (4) aren't running to get me from the Bronx to the Ferry.

Count me out too. From my neck of the woods it's easier for me to get to Poughkeepsie than Staten Island, especially when the (1) and the (4) aren't running to get me from the Bronx to the Ferry.

For me, the problem isn't so much getting there, as it is not knowing if or when the stations are to be demolished.

They would most likely doing the construction during the day on both Saturday & Sunday and stop at night cause of noise.

So, with last weekend's Jerome Ave shutdown, they really should've run the same service pattern they did the last time this service change came up: 24/7 (5) train service to Utica/New Lots Av. The amount of phantom (5) trains on White Plains Rd this weekend, despite GO signs stating there wasn't any (5) service at all last weekend. I'm aware of why those trains were running as (5) trains, but if there is no way for the trains to display the correct route, either the signs need to be turned off or the GO needs to reflect the availability of the route and destination in the AAS. On another note, this route should've been labelled as a (5) since the route from E 180 Street to Utica Av has much more in common with the (5) than it does with the (4). Passenger confusion is a thing and can really hold up service when everyone thinks the train is going to Woodlawn since it's labelled as a (4).

So, with last weekend's Jerome Ave shutdown, they really should've run the same service pattern they did the last time this service change came up: 24/7 (5) train service to Utica/New Lots Av. The amount of phantom (5) trains on White Plains Rd this weekend, despite GO signs stating there wasn't any (5) service at all last weekend. I'm aware of why those trains were running as (5) trains, but if there is no way for the trains to display the correct route, either the signs need to be turned off or the GO needs to reflect the availability of the route and destination in the AAS. On another note, this route should've been labelled as a (5) since the route from E 180 Street to Utica Av has much more in common with the (5) than it does with the (4). Passenger confusion is a thing and can really hold up service when everyone thinks the train is going to Woodlawn since it's labelled as a (4).

I agree I've never seen a GO like this that was stupid. And the crazy thing is the (4) has had a complete shutdown before IIRC in the recent years therefor the plan should had been (5) service 24/7.

The service change website for the weekend of March 25th now has the (5) to Utica/New Lots instead of the (4) to E180. Looks like the (MTA) woke up and used their brain

Has anyone noticed that connectivity sucks for the winter plan? The (4) misses the (D) in the Bronx by a station. the (7) misses the (G) by 1 station. The (D) misses the (J) by 2 stations (could have made Bowery a more accessible alternative to Grand Street). The (L) misses the (A) by 4 stations in Brooklyn. The (G) misses the (N)(R) by 3 stations. The (F) misses the (G) by 1 station; they could have turned (F) trains at Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets.

They could have gotten away with not running the (J) and used those tracks purely for train storage; the (6), (4), (N), and (R) adequately covers for the (J). The (3) is also pointless. I’d eliminate the (Q) and run the (N) up to 96 Street instead.

Looks like the (MTA) woke up and used their brain

The MTA as a collective has only 1 brain. :rolleyes:

The (F) misses the (G) by 1 station; they could have turned (F) trains at Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets.

They could have gotten away with not running the (J) and used those tracks purely for train storage; the (6), (4), (N), and (R) adequately covers for the (J). The (3) is also pointless. I’d eliminate the (Q) and run the (N) up to 96 Street instead.

One thing you have to remember here is that while the service on the map may be what portions passengers can ride on, that doesn't mean that trains are necessarily terminating there. For example, you mention the (J), (F) and (N): those (J) trains will run on the Broadway elevated not in service to keep tracks clear. The (F) can't turn at Hoyt-Schermerhorn because its going to run via Culver express and keep those tracks clear. Same thing for the (N) and Astoria.

J.png Z.png Manhattan-bound platform at 104 St is closed for renovation

All times, until Summer 2017

Manhattan-bound 104 St platform will close for renovation until Summer 2017.

Consider nearby 111 St for J.png service or Woodhaven Blvd for J.png Z.png service.

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png
For service to this station, take the J.png or Z.png to Woodhaven Blvd and transfer to a 
Jamaica Center-bound J.png or Z.png.

For service from this station, take the J.png to 111 St and transfer to a Manhattan-bound J.png
Or, take the Q56 bus instead. Transfer between J.png Z.png trains and buses at Woodhaven Blvd.

Note: Jamaica Center-bound J.png trains skip 104 St from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM weekdays, take the Z.png instead.

D.png No trains between 59 St-Columbus Circle Broadway-Lafayette St and Stillwell Av 

E.png F.png N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 31 - Apr 3

• Trains are rerouted via the A.png local to/from W 4 St, and via the F.png to/from 2 Av, the last stop.
N.png* trains replace the D.png in Brooklyn between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Stillwell Av.
(E.png and) F.png trains provide alternate service at 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Park and 34 St-Herald Sq. (7 Av Station will be closed during this time)

I liked the (D) express to Chambers/WTC better, but since the (E) is running via 6th Avenue I guess they needed a second local on 8th Avenue more than a second express.

Edited by paulrivera

Wait are (D) trains running between Broadway and Stillwell or what?

(D) runs between 205 St and 2 Av-Houston only via CPW Exp, 8 Av Local, filling in for the E.

(N) runs via West End, replacing the D.

(E) runs via 6 Av Local and 63 St tunnel, filling in indirectly for the D.

Edited by paulrivera

D.png No trains between 59 St-Columbus Circle Broadway-Lafayette St and Stillwell Av 

E.png F.png N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 31 - Apr 3

• Trains are rerouted via the A.png local to/from W 4 St, and via the F.png to/from 2 Av, the last stop.
N.png* trains replace the D.png in Brooklyn between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Stillwell Av.
(E.png and) F.png trains provide alternate service at 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Park and 34 St-Herald Sq. (7 Av Station will be closed during this time)

I liked the (D) express to Chambers/WTC better, but since the (E) is running via 6th Avenue I guess they needed a second local on 8th Avenue more than a second express.

Keep in mind, when the (D) Train ran to Chambers Street via 8th Avenue Express, the (A) and (C) Trains were sent via the (F) between West 4th Street and Jay Street which was why turning at Chambers Street worked that case.

(D) runs between 205 St and 2 Av-Houston only via CPW Exp, 8 Av Local, filling in for the E.

(N) runs via West End, replacing the D.

(E) runs via 6 Av Local and 63 St tunnel, filling in indirectly for the D.

I presume they are doing work on the 53rd Street tunnel and Sea Beach this weekend.

This is where it would have helped to have extended the 63rd Street Tunnel to connect to the 8th Avenue Line, allowing such trains to join the line at Columbus Circle when needed or even have a line go to Queens via 63rd.

how? oh wait, they haven't gotten their coffee  yet

r.png

From 11:45 p.m. Friday, March 17 to 5:00 a.m. Monday, March 20, Coney Island-Stillwell Av bound r.pngtrains run express from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to 59 St. 

Edited by pjbr40

The Weekend of April 8th has alot of Shuttle Buses.

G.png service operates between Church Av and Bedford-Nostrand Avs.

shuttle_bus.png Buses make all G.png station stops between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Court Sq.
  • Transfer between G.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Bedford-Nostrand Avs

J.png No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center

E.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 3:45 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Apr 8 - 9

J.png Service operates between Broad St and Crescent St.

shuttle_bus.png Buses make all J.png stops between Crescent St and 121 St and connect with the 
E.png at Jamaica-Van Wyck.

M.png No trains between Myrtle Av and Metropolitan Av
shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekends, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 31 - Apr 3  •  Apr 7 - 10

M.png service operates between Essex St and Myrtle Av and via the J.png to/from
   Broadway Junction, days and evenings.

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate between Myrtle Av and Metropolitan Avmaking all stops.
  • Transfer between trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Myrtle Av.

4.png No trains between Utica Av and New Lots Av

Late Nights, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Apr 7 - 10

4.png service operates between Woodlawn and Utica Av.
  • Trains run local in both directions between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Utica Av all weekend

5.png No trains between E 180 St and Dyre Av 
Weekend, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Apr 7 - 10   

5.png service operates between Flatbush Av and E 180 St, and via the 2.png to/from 241 St.

Don't mean to double post but it looks like they changed the (4) and (5) Train G.O for next weekend from (4) Trains going to East 180th Street replacing (5) Train service to No (4) Trains running at all with (5) Trains being extended to Brooklyn. 

4.png No trains running
5.png trains replace the 4.png in Brooklyn and Manhattan

D.png trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service in the Bronx
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 1 AM Mon, Mar 24 - 27

5.png trains make all 4.png stops between New Lots Av/Utica Av* and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate along two routes:
     1. Between 149 St-Grand Concourse and 161 St-Yankee Stadium 
     2. Between Bedford Pk Blvd and Woodlawn, stopping at Mosholu Pkwy

In Brooklyn and Manhattan, take the 5.png instead

Don't mean to double post but it looks like they changed the (4) and (5) Train G.O for next weekend from (4) Trains going to East 180th Street replacing (5) Train service to No (4) Trains running at all with (5) Trains being extended to Brooklyn. 

4.png No trains running

5.png trains replace the 4.png in Brooklyn and Manhattan

D.png trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service in the Bronx

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 1 AM Mon, Mar 24 - 27

5.png trains make all 4.png stops between New Lots Av/Utica Av* and 149 St-Grand Concourse.

shuttle_bus.png Buses operate along two routes:

1. Between 149 St-Grand Concourse and 161 St-Yankee Stadium 

2. Between Bedford Pk Blvd and Woodlawn, stopping at Mosholu Pkwy

In Brooklyn and Manhattan, take the 5.png instead

This is one of the reasons I would be looking long-term at extending Phase 2 across 125 with a connection to the 8th Avenue line at St. Nicholas Avenue.  That way, in such a situation with the (4) you could have either the (Q) or (T) or both be extended to run with the (D) on the Concourse Line to Bedford Park Boulevard (aside from having such a line run to 125-Broadway to connect to the (1) ).