Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like they want to send select trains to 180 St. The (4) will still have trips to Woodlawn, presumably every 16 minutes like the last time (even though it doesn't say anything about (4) cuts yet, but maybe they didn't update yet like they did with the (D)(F) ).

So it seems like I was wrong about the (4) veing totally moved from Jerome to WPR

From NYCT twitter https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/833013919455141888

It looks like the other shoe has fallen and it's a complete suspension of Jerome Ave service:

(4) No trains between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Woodlawn

(D) trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 1 AM Mon, Mar 3 - 6

(4) service operates between Utica Av/New Lots Av and 149 St-Grand Concourse,

and via the (5) to/from E 180 St.

Also, all references to Woodlawn have been removed from the other service changes on the (4) line.

It looks like the other shoe has fallen and it's a complete suspension of Jerome Ave service:

and via the (5) to/from E 180 St.

Also, all references to Woodlawn have been removed from the other service changes on the (4) line.

I guess they are doing serious work on the Jerome EL.

Makes sense, the (D) is in most cases only a block or two away and can pick up much of the slack from the (4) along Jerome.

The bulk of the work is (or was, the scope of the work may have changed) on the uptown track between 149 St and Burnside Avenue.

This is for the best though, I'd rather see the (5) (if an East Side train running between 180 and Utica, that's a FIVE train. Don't show me a duck and make me call it a damn mongoose) provide adequate service along WPR than having two (4) branches with subpar service.

Speaking of the Dyre line, I thought we stopped doing this crap:

5.png Trains run every 20 minutes between Dyre Av E 180 St and Bowling Green

Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, Mar 18 - 19 (also M

ar 25 - 26)

4.png5.pngBronx-bound trains run local from Grand Central-42 St to 125 St

Weekends, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Mar 18 - 20  •  Mar 25 - 27

Are there gonna be any shuttle buses along Jerome Ave or just the (D)?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Shuttle bus between 149-Concourse and 161 St, the (D) only between 161 and Bedford Park, then shuttle bus between Bedford Park and Woodlawn.

Before the days of ATS and no field shunting, they used to run a 10-car (S) train on a single track between 149 and 161 for this GO. Ahhh, those were the days....

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is field shunting and why would that combined with ATS prevent that operation.

I don't know much about field shunting either, but pre-ATS, whenever they ran the "no (4) on Jerome" GO there'd be a shuttle train running back and forth between 149-GC and 161-YS (there was no relay at 167th if you were wondering.) That shuttle would run on the same track, and since most if not all of the Jerome line doesn't have bi-directional(?) signalling, the train was running without signal protection in one direction.

Back in the day they could run those shuttles at normal speed in both directions, but such an operation now would more than likely require the trains to run at a restricted speed in one direction.

Again, this operation pre-dated ATS, so this easily goes back a good 15-20 years if not more.

and via the (5)to/from E 180 St.

My guess is that they were originally going to have split (4) service, but then realized how stupid that sounded and just suspended Jerome service all together.

Looking at the month ahead for weekend service changes...

(1) - Suspended - 14 Street to South Ferry - 03/04

(2)Suspended - E 180 Street to 241 Street - 03/11

(3)Suspended - full length (late nights) - 03/18-03-27

(3)(4)Suspended - Utica Av to New Lots Av - 03/18

(4)Suspended - 149 Street to Woodlawn - 03/04, 03/25

(4)Suspended - Brooklyn Bridge to New Lots Av - 03/11

(5)Suspended - full length - 03/04, 03/25

(5) - Suspended - E 180 Street to Dyre Av - 03/18-03/25

(5)Suspended - Grand Central to Bowling Green - 03/11

(5) - Reduced Servicefull length - 03/18

(5)Suspended - E 180 Street to Dyre Av - 03/18

(7)Suspended - Queensboro Plaza to 34 Street - 03/04-03/27

(A)(C) - Reroute - bi-directional via Rutgers - 03/04-03/27

(C)Suspended - 145 Street to 168 Street - 03/04-03/27

(F)Suspended - Church Av to Stillwell Av - 03/04, 03/18

(M)Suspended - Myrtle Av to Metropolitan Av - 03/04-03/27

(SI)Suspended - Huguenot to Tottenville - 03/04-03/13

Edited by Lance
updates to weekend service disruptions

I doubt there'll be an R62A on the (4)... if anything, you'll see some extra R142s from the (2) and (5) running on the (4).

I wish they ran this (4) to East 180th Street GO when I was a kid. That way we would've had some extra redbirds on the (4) line (I think the ones on the (5) were the oldest redbirds in the fleet)

Looking at the month ahead for weekend service changes...

(1) - Suspended - 14 Street to South Ferry - 03/04

(2) - Suspended - E 180 Street to 241 Street - 03/11

(3) - Suspended - full length (late nights) - 03/18-03-27

(3)  (4) - Suspended - Utica Av to New Lots Av - 03/18

(4) - Suspended - 149 Street to Woodlawn - 03/04

(4) - Suspended - Brooklyn Bridge to New Lots Av - 03/11

(5) - Suspended - full length - 03/04

(5) - Suspended - Grand Central to Bowling Green - 03/11

(5) - Reduced Service - full length - 03/18

(5) - Suspended - E 180 Street to Dyre Av - 03/18

(7) - Suspended - Queensboro Plaza to 34 Street - 03/04/03/27

(A)  (C) - Reroute - bi-directional via Rutgers - 03/04-03/27

(C) - Suspended - 145 Street to 168 Street - 03/04-03/27

(F) - Suspended - Church Av to Stillwell Av - 03/04, 03/18

(M) - Suspended - Myrtle Av to Metropolitan Av - 03/04-03/27

(SI) - Suspended - Huguenot to Tottenville - 03/04-03/13

Edited by paulrivera

I doubt there'll be an R62A on the (4)... if anything, you'll see some extra R142s from the (2) and (5) running on the (4).

this is why they should have ran the (5) 24/7 between Utica avenue (New Lots Avenue overnight and early Sunday morning) and the Bronx like they did last time

I feel like they could of called it extra (J) trains between at least chambers and the junction, but they probably gonna put the 4 car sets in service.

This might have actually been the perfect time (since I believe the 8th Avenue trains are going via Rutgers) to experiment with the (C) heading to Broadway Junction via the (M) and then (J) and have that replace the (M) over the weekend.  It would be a good way to test how many on Broadway-Brooklyn are looking for Midtown on weekends and use that data to help in forming weekend (M) service post-(L) shutdown in 2020.  

This might have actually been the perfect time (since I believe the 8th Avenue trains are going via Rutgers) to experiment with the (C) heading to Broadway Junction via the (M) and then (J) and have that replace the (M) over the weekend.  It would be a good way to test how many on Broadway-Brooklyn are looking for Midtown on weekends and use that data to help in forming weekend (M) service post- (L) shutdown in 2020.  

Not this again....

No Overnight M Service I guess     http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/weekend_M.htm

Where would they run? It's already redundant to run them as they are between Broadway Junction and Essex St. What would be gained by running a duplicating shuttle between Eastern Pkwy and Myrtle Av?

I feel like they could of called it extra (J) trains between at least chambers and the junction, but they probably gonna put the 4 car sets in service.

The fact they are still using the four-car sets and presumably the usual (M) crews is probably the main reason why they're being called (M) trains, rather than shortened (J) trains.

This might have actually been the perfect time (since I believe the 8th Avenue trains are going via Rutgers) to experiment with the (C) heading to Broadway Junction via the (M) and then (J) and have that replace the (M) over the weekend.  It would be a good way to test how many on Broadway-Brooklyn are looking for Midtown on weekends and use that data to help in forming weekend (M) service post- (L) shutdown in 2020.  

What did Fulton St ever do to you that constantly requires killing service there? Why do you keep trying to screw over riders on one section to "fix" service on another?

Not this again....

Agreed.

That is a lot of weekends to precede the two-month full closure of the line.

Edited by Lance