Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Q) via Sea Beach and West End memorial day weekend...

I heard the reason by that (Don't quote me on this), is that they're supposedly doing the no (D) Trains in Brooklyn G.O that weekend again which is not up on the website but it could be said later. The (F) was supposed to go via 8th Avenue/Cranberry Tube southbound that weekend originally but they removed it off the website before the (Q) G.O was added.

I heard the reason by that (Don't quote me on this), is that they're supposedly doing the no (D) Trains in Brooklyn G.O that weekend again which is not up on the website but it could be said later. The (F) was supposed to go via 8th Avenue/Cranberry Tube southbound that weekend originally but they removed it off the website before the (Q) G.O was added.

That's not really the reason.

The D will be running normal that weekend, and there is no G/O that hasn't been posted for it on the website.

The F will also run normal; the 53rd/8th ave/Cranberry reroute G/O was canceled.

The Q G/O is due to work on the switch from the northbound local to northbound express track north of Parkside. The southbound tracks will be out of service to assist in the replacement work. Thus, trains cannot turn at Prospect Park. Furthermore, because of the Memorial Day crowds to Coney Island, rather than turning at Atlantic-Pacific, the Q will go all the way down to CI. The Q shuttle and the Manhattan Q will share the same normal Q platform at Coney Island.

The Q G/O is due to work on the switch from the northbound local to northbound express track north of Parkside. The southbound tracks will be out of service to assist in the replacement work. Thus, trains cannot turn at Prospect Park. Furthermore, because of the Memorial Day crowds to Coney Island, rather than turning at Atlantic-Pacific, the Q will go all the way down to CI. The Q shuttle and the Manhattan Q will share the same normal Q platform at Coney Island.

That's what I thought. Its essentially the (Q) split they've done before, but the Manhattan (Q) operates to CI via the (D) and (N) instead of ending at Prospect Park (or not running at all- that was a big head scratch-er).

Do you know why the (Q) is operating via the (D) in one direction and the (N) in another?

Where's this (Q) G.O. going to take place? 

Reading is fundamental.

That's what I thought. Its essentially the (Q) split they've done before, but the Manhattan (Q) operates to CI via the (D) and (N) instead of ending at Prospect Park (or not running at all- that was a big head scratch-er).

Do you know why the (Q) is operating via the (D) in one direction and the (N) in another?

Possibly to not clog up one line entirely. The Sea Beach rehab project probably limits the amount of trains that can run there.

I want them to do the (F) to Ozone Park again.

There needs to be a reason for that kind of reroute. They haven't done that particular service change since work on the Culver line and the Jay St/Lawrence St connection projects have been completed.

Oh ok, thanks Lance.

But another question, won't people be confused if you have 3 (Q) services leaving CI?

There's only 2 leaving Coney Island. One TO Manhattan via West End (Sea Beach would be irrelevant if you're already at Coney), and one TO Kings Hwy via Brighton.

There's only 2 leaving Coney Island. One TO Manhattan via West End (Sea Beach would be irrelevant if you're already at Coney), and one TO Kings Hwy via Brighton.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just have the (Q) go through Coney Island and run straight through to Kings Highway instead of having a shuttle?  

They dont do that because its going to cause a lot of confusion for riders.

If anything, to me it would be less confusing having the one line operate straight through.

That would probably require more trains than the shuttle operation.

Yes, but it would be less confusing than having two (Q) trains.  Having the single line operate through CI to Kings Highway to me is a better use of resources.

If anything, to me it would be less confusing having the one line operate straight through.

Yes, but it would be less confusing than having two (Q) trains.  Having the single line operate through CI to Kings Highway to me is a better use of resources.

And yet, they've run split-service operations in various locations on numerous occasions. Between the multitude of signs, special service change information on the main page of the site and announcements from station and train crews, I think most riders will manage,

culver_train.jpg

$140M Station Renewal Project 

The long-term service changes are part of a nine-station renewal project being conducted by MTA New York City Transit along the Culver f.png line. Ditmas Av was previously renewed under an earlier phase of the project. The remaining eight stations that will be renewed are: 18 AvAvenue IBay PkwyAvenue NAvenue PKings HwyAvenue U, and Avenue X.

Over 27,000 daily customers will benefit from:

• Repaired staircases, fare control areas, walls, floors and platform girders.
  • New platform windscreens, rubbing boards, tactile warning strips and concrete slabs.
  • Improved lighting.
  • Installed artwork.

In order to perform this renewal work, access to the tracks is necessary. We will be completing this project in two phases; the Coney Island-bound platforms will be rehabilitated first and will be out of service for six months. Coney Island-bound service will still be available at 18 Av and Kings Hwy. The next phase, affecting Manhattan-bound service, begins in 2017.

This work is part of the MTA Capital Plan andis unrelated to the f.png express study. Any adjustments to f.png service in response to the study would occur at the conclusion of the next phase of work.

Beginning Tuesday, June 7, 2016
Coney Island-bound f.png trains will not stop at 
Avenue I, Bay Pkwy, Avenue N, Avenue P, 
Avenue U, and Avenue X until early 2017

Manhattan-bound f.png makes all stops to Church Av
Coney Island-bound f.png is available at 18 Av and Kings Hwy

Travel alternatives:
arrow_grey.png
For service to these stations from Manhattan, take the Coney Island-bound f.png to Kings Hwy or Neptune Av and transfer to a Manhattan-bound f.png.
arrow_grey.png
For Coney Island-bound service from these stations, take a Manhattan-bound f.png to Kings Hwy or 18 Avand transfer to a Coney Island-bound f.png.
arrow_grey.png
f.png customers may also consider alternate service and stations on the n.png and b.pngq.png lines.
arrow_grey.png
Long-term service changes to Manhattan-bound n.pngservice in Brooklyn may affect your trip.  

culver_map.jpg
Note: Beginning Tuesday, June 7 and continuing for five weeks, Coney Island-bound f.png and g.png trains will operate at slower speeds due to switch work at Bergen St. Some Coney Island-bound peak-hour f.png trains will run express from Jay St-MetroTech to 4 Av-9 St.