Planned Subway Service Changes

Which is exactly why I do what I do with the split (M) into (M) and (T) (regular (M) still runs to 71-Continental weekdays as it does now).  CBTC work on QB is the actual reason why I do that, but the fact this also supplements the (Q) to me is just as big.  Politics is also why I do that given the UES does have a lot of political clout and if they see the (M) there on weekends, they will want a similar weekday supplement, hence the (T) that really is the (M) but running to 96th/2nd. 

Not that again...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is exactly why I do what I do with the split (M) into (M) and (T) (regular (M) still runs to 71-Continental weekdays as it does now).  CBTC work on QB is the actual reason why I do that, but the fact this also supplements the (Q) to me is just as big.  Politics is also why I do that given the UES does have a lot of political clout and if they see the (M) there on weekends, they will want a similar weekday supplement, hence the (T) that really is the (M) but running to 96th/2nd.

This is quite confusing. :/

This is quite confusing. :

How exactly is it confusing to have a split (M) where:

The weekday (M) runs exactly as it does now (to 71st-Continental)

The other part of the split (M) that would run as (T) would go at all times to 96th Street and 2nd Avenue (5 TPH weekdays as a supplemental line, 3 TPH late nights and 6-9 TPH weekends depending on demand)?  

If you do decide to run a shuttle to 96th-2nd on weekends, I'm sure (as others noted in other forums) those on the UES would also want it on weekdays and the UES does have the political clout to compel the (MTA) to do that.

As long as the rules of thumb are followed, I don’t really see too many other objections given the situation:

• 1 bullet, 1 route, with truncation allowed for different time of day and day of week (I disagree with the current usage of the (5) and (A).)
  • 2 routes max per pair of tracks, 3 when service is badly needed and no other sensible options are available
  • T.P.H. for lines that have only 1 route is nominally 30, with each additional route decreasing it by 1 for switching delays (3 routes sharing a line would bring down the line’s total T.P.H. to 27.)

If the “(T)” is running from Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue to 96 Street only on weekends, it poses less confusion and it is not overloading the (M) designation. The (M) can be eliminated entirely over the weekends since the (T) would be a superset of the weekend (M) route, or it could continue running with reduced frequency alternating with (T) trains that run to the Upper East Side. In any case, this arrangement would technically have only 2 routes run over the Williamsburg Bridge: the (J) and the (M)/(T). During the weekdays, the (T) should not be running. (M) frequency should be boosted so that there are more trains to transfer to from the (G) at Court Square.

If anything the R32's will have to be on the (A) by default the (G) is the only other line since they're banned on the B,D,N,Q and R lines and Jamaica is rumored to be 100% R160 so the (A) and (G) are the only two options

How many times has Jamaica been rumored to become all R160 and how many times has this actually happened?

Also, where the hell are they gonna put the 46s? The last time this rumor came around they were gonna go on the (N)(Q).

How many times has Jamaica been rumored to become all R160 and how many times has this actually happened?

Also, where the hell are they gonna put the 46s? The last time this rumor came around they were gonna go on the (N)(Q).

If CIY gets them, the majority of them will be on the (B) and the rest between the (G) or (N)

As long as the rules of thumb are followed, I don’t really see too many other objections given the situation:

• 1 bullet, 1 route, with truncation allowed for different time of day and day of week (I disagree with the current usage of the (5) and (A).)
  • 2 routes max per pair of tracks, 3 when service is badly needed and no other sensible options are available
  • T.P.H. for lines that have only 1 route is nominally 30, with each additional route decreasing it by 1 for switching delays (3 routes sharing a line would bring down the line’s total T.P.H. to 27.)

If the “ (T)” is running from Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue to 96 Street only on weekends, it poses less confusion and it is not overloading the (M) designation. The (M) can be eliminated entirely over the weekends since the (T) would be a superset of the weekend (M) route, or it could continue running with reduced frequency alternating with (T) trains that run to the Upper East Side. In any case, this arrangement would technically have only 2 routes run over the Williamsburg Bridge: the (J) and the (M)/(T). During the weekdays, the (T) should not be running. (M) frequency should be boosted so that there are more trains to transfer to from the (G) at Court Square.

The (M) late nights and weekends to 145th/8th also would work.  That would give CPW riders a second local at all times (if the (M) takes over when the (B) ends its service for the night).

96th/2nd with the (T) designation is probably best both late nights and weekends and as said, unless capacity allows for 13-15 (M) trains per hour at 71-Continental (or if necessary, extending the (M) and (R) to 179 to allow for the extra capacity on weekend), I would have the (T) also run to 96th/2nd at 5 TPH on weekdays, mainly for political reasons as I do think the UES would want such on weekdays as well.  

So starting next weekend Fix And Forty will be on the (A) Train North of 168th Street.

F&F_Pos_16.png
A.png No trains between 168 St and 207 St 

1.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jul 15 - 18 

A.png Service operates between Lefferts Blvd/Mott Av and 168 St, making local stops at 155 St and 163 St. 

1.png trains make nearby stops between 168 St and 207 St

Broadway shuttle_bus.png buses make all stops between 168 St and 207 St
Fort Washington Av shuttle_bus.png buses make all stops between 168 St and 190 St

• Transfer between trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at 168 St. 

Yes I know there was a G.O with the (A) ending at 168th Street this weekend but it had to do with trackwork at 175th Street and 181st Street.
Edited by Daniel The Cool

So starting next weekend Fix And Forty will be on the (A) Train North of 168th Street.

F&F_Pos_16.png

A.png No trains between 168 St and 207 St 

1.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service 

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jul 15 - 18 

A.png Service operates between Lefferts Blvd/Mott Av and 168 St, making local stops at 155 St and 163 St. 

1.png trains make nearby stops between 168 St and 207 St

Broadway shuttle_bus.png buses make all stops between 168 St and 207 St

Fort Washington Av shuttle_bus.png buses make all stops between 168 St and 190 St

• Transfer between trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at 168 St. 

Yes I know there was a G.O with the (A) ending at 168th Street this weekend but it had to do with trackwork at 175th Street and 181st Street.

Before anyone says "what the hell did Sandy do up there?"....

yAKHB.jpg

That's what Sandy did...

First off, can we please not post service proposals in this thread. This is for confirmed service changes only. Thank you.

If CIY gets them, the majority of them will be on the (B) and the rest between the (G) or (N)

If memory serves me correctly, the 46s cannot run on the Brighton line due to vibration issues. After all, every time they were placed there, from first delivery in the mid 70s to emergency situations like the Sept. 11th contingency plan or the '89 8th Avenue water main break  :Q:  extension to 207 Street, the 44s and 46s have always been swiftly removed from the line after a brief stint.

The (M) late nights and weekends to 145th/8th also would work.  That would give CPW riders a second local at all times (if the (M) takes over when the (B) ends its service for the night).

96th/2nd with the (T) designation is probably best both late nights and weekends and as said, unless capacity allows for 13-15 (M) trains per hour at 71-Continental (or if necessary, extending the (M) and (R) to 179 to allow for the extra capacity on weekend), I would have the (T) also run to 96th/2nd at 5 TPH on weekdays, mainly for political reasons as I do think the UES would want such on weekdays as well.  

Let's not get crazy here. If the idea is to reduce confusion, running the (M) up to Harlem when it's usual route is to Queens does quite the opposite of that. Remember, Transit does not like to drastically change the route of a line unless there are no other options present.

Let's not get crazy here. If the idea is to reduce confusion, running the (M) up to Harlem when it's usual route is to Queens does quite the opposite of that. Remember, Transit does not like to drastically change the route of a line unless there are no other options present.

That already violates rule #1:

First off, can we please not post service proposals in this thread. This is for confirmed service changes only. Thank you.

If memory serves me correctly, the 46s cannot run on the Brighton line due to vibration issues. After all, every time they were placed there, from first delivery in the mid 70s to emergency situations like the Sept. 11th contingency plan or the '89 8th Avenue water main break :Q: extension to 207 Street, the 44s and 46s have always been swiftly removed from the line after a brief stint.

From what i heard they're not banned anymore.

You could also dust off the (V) for that purpose if you sent it to 145/8th late nights and weekends.  Main thing is whether it's (B) or (M) / (V) it gives riders on CPW a 24/7 local option to/from 6th Avenue AND a second local option along CPW itself at those times. 

The (T) to 96th/2nd that I would do 24/7 as part of a split (M) during not just the (L) shutdown, but as soon as the work on the Myrtle El is complete in April 2018 as I do think the SAS is going to need a full-time 6th Avenue option anyway.  

Having 6 TPH combined late nights on the SAS portion is not the worst thing given the densely populated areas that will be going through as many there going downtown can go via either Broadway or 6th Avenue, with late nights those on 6th Avenue if the (F) comes first taking that to 63rd and waiting there for the (Q) or the (T) going uptown in that scenario. 

You could also dust off the (V) for that purpose if you sent it to 145/8th late nights and weekends. Main thing is whether it's (B) or (M) / (V) it gives riders on CPW a 24/7 local option to/from 6th Avenue AND a second local option along CPW itself at those times.

The (T) to 96th/2nd that I would do 24/7 as part of a split (M) during not just the (L) shutdown, but as soon as the work on the Myrtle El is complete in April 2018 as I do think the SAS is going to need a full-time 6th Avenue option anyway.

Having 6 TPH combined late nights on the SAS portion is not the worst thing given the densely populated areas that will be going through as many there going downtown can go via either Broadway or 6th Avenue, with late nights those on 6th Avenue if the (F) comes first taking that to 63rd and waiting there for the (Q) or the (T) going uptown in that scenario.

Please stop. We don't need you repeating the same idea for the 1000th time

If memory serves me correctly, the 46s cannot run on the Brighton line due to vibration issues. After all, every time they were placed there, from first delivery in the mid 70s to emergency situations like the Sept. 11th contingency plan or the '89 8th Avenue water main break  :Q:  extension to 207 Street, the 44s and 46s have always been swiftly removed from the line after a brief stint.

That hasn't been an issue for a long time. Work on the retaining walls has done a lot to rectify it.

If anything, the R68/As would incur worse vibration issues on the Brighton line, since they have a higher axle load and statistically tend develop flats easier.

There is nothing stopping the R46s from running on the Brighton Line. Can't rule anything out yet......

You could also dust off the (V) for that purpose if you sent it to 145/8th late nights and weekends.  Main thing is whether it's (B) or (M) / (V) it gives riders on CPW a 24/7 local option to/from 6th Avenue AND a second local option along CPW itself at those times. 

I'm so glad your reading comprehension skills are so up to snuff. I really don't want this clogged up with various reroute ideas. Use the proposals thread for your ideas.

That hasn't been an issue for a long time. Work on the retaining walls has done a lot to rectify it.

If anything, the R68/As would incur worse vibration issues on the Brighton line, since they have a higher axle load and statistically tend develop flats easier.

There is nothing stopping the R46s from running on the Brighton Line. Can't rule anything out yet......

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

• 2 weeks later...

No (3)(4) trains between Utica/New Lots this weekend. Does it have to do with the station closures? If so it seems like they're serious about getting them opened on time.

Most likely just normal construction work. They might focus on Saratoga and Pennsylvania Avenues so they can work on those stations without trains moving through the station.