Planned Subway Service Changes

Not that this is happening anytime soon, but this article talks about what would happen when Myrtle Av closes next year:

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2016/03/17/m-train-service-to-shut-down-in-parts-of-brooklyn-and-queens-next-summer.html

I wonder in the interim will (J) and (Z) trains have peak express service extended to Broadway Junction?

Edited by Q43LTD

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what would you gain with a six-tracked Atlantic Av? Sure, you have the capacity for a couple of one-off reroutes, but the fact remains that most of that structure was basically abandoned with the closure of the Fulton St elevated back in '56.

At the very least, it would allow the Canarsie line to terminate trains there for capacity purposes.

Terminate at Atlantic Avenue? And what because the way I see it, it will lower the headways South of Atlantic Avenue. Why fix this route with unneeded short-turns when the service increases in recent years are working out so well?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Terminate at Atlantic Avenue? And what because the way I see it, it will lower the headways South of Atlantic Avenue. Why fix this route with unneeded short-turns when the service increases in recent years are working out so well?

You could always extend the existing Myrtle-Wyckoff short turns and provide more service to Halsey and Bushwick-Aberdeen.

The short turns (ONLY NINE A WEEKDAY) are only every 12 minutes during peak hours out of the 3 to 4 minutes every train.... Not sure, if it will make a difference on the route itself. As Lance said before, those extra platforms were abandoned for a reason.

The short turns (ONLY NINE A WEEKDAY) are only every 12 minutes during peak hours out of the 3 to 4 minutes every train.... Not sure, if it will make a difference on the route itself. As Lance said before, those extra platforms were abandoned for a reason.

I understand your point.

I was just pointing out that there is a way (extending those short turns) to terminate trains at Atlantic and not cut frequency if they really wanted to (but who would?)

Ironically, that is why that could be re-built to four or six tracks.

Do you realize the massive amount of track reconfiguration you would have to do now? Its not that long of a distance to Atlantic from the Junction, and you have the yard lead & Jamaica leads to worry about/work around.

Edited by Fresh Pond

But what would you gain with a six-tracked Atlantic Av? Sure, you have the capacity for a couple of one-off reroutes, but the fact remains that most of that structure was basically abandoned with the closure of the Fulton St elevated back in '56.

It would more likely be four tracks, not six, unless you want to dedicate two tracks there for storage.

This also would allow for a Broadway-Brooklyn service (whether via Nassau or 6th Avenue) to run from Canarsie while the (L) is truncated to Atlantic Avenue to better service the much more heavily traveled portion of the line (with a cross-platform transfer between the two lines at Atlantic Avenue for those from Canarsie that need such if four tracks).  The idea would be with a Broadway-Brooklyn line running to Canarsie, ALL (L) service would end at Atlantic Avenue (except perhaps overnights when both could run there).

It would more likely be four tracks, not six, unless you want to dedicate two tracks there for storage.

This also would allow for a Broadway-Brooklyn service (whether via Nassau or 6th Avenue) to run from Canarsie while the (L) is truncated to Atlantic Avenue to better service the much more heavily traveled portion of the line (with a cross-platform transfer between the two lines at Atlantic Avenue for those from Canarsie that need such if four tracks). The idea would be with a Broadway-Brooklyn line running to Canarsie, ALL (L) service would end at Atlantic Avenue (except perhaps overnights when both could run there).

Sure, just take away the one seat ride from Canarsie to Midtown Manhattan. That will make things a lot simpler.... Smh. Just take away from the propose of the reason why the platforms are abandon and the tracks demoed in the first place. It's not like it's that busy South down to Canarsie. Ooy voy....

Sure, just take away the one seat ride from Canarsie to Midtown Manhattan. That will make things a lot simpler.... Smh. Just take away from the propose of the reason why the platforms are abandon and the tracks demoed in the first place. It's not like it's that busy South down to Canarsie. Ooy voy....

The (L) doesn’t go to midtown, so it’s already not a one-seat ride. But Wallyhorse’s Broadway-Brooklyn line will go to midtown; and that would be a one-seat ride.

The (L) doesn’t go to midtown, so it’s already not a one-seat ride. But Wallyhorse’s Broadway-Brooklyn line will go to midtown; and that would be a one-seat ride.

!!?? doesn't the (J) and (Z) go to downtown?. Transferring to an uptown service via these brown lines are sometimes annoying

Midtown generally consists of everything from 14-59 Sts, river to river.

And what about the people who take the (L) to go to areas like Williamsburg, Ridgewood, & Bushwick (Wyckoff Hospital, Myrtle-Wyckoff, etc.) Under his plan, people south of Atlantic are now subjected to a 2 seat ride to get there, compared to a straightforward (L) ride there.

...and that's not counting people who go to Middle Village and whatnot, since now they would have to take 3 trains just to get there.

His plan robs Peter, Luke, & Matthew, just to pay Paul

• 2 weeks later...

The weekend of April 9th is going to royally suck if you're in Lower Manhattan.

No (1), no (4), no (5), no (A), no (C). But hey, you'll get the (D) ! And the night owls get the (3) !

There's a (D) and (E) switcheroo that weekend too ("blue D" and "orange E"), but they'll both terminate in Lower Manhattan.

Trust me, if you're coming into Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn, you'll be much better off walking the Brooklyn Bridge.

No (1), no (4), no (5), no (A), no (C). But hey, you'll get the (D) ! And the night owls get the (3) !

There's a (D) and (E) switcheroo that weekend too ("blue D" and "orange E"), but they'll both terminate in Lower Manhattan.

Trust me, if you're coming into Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn, you'll be much better off walking the Brooklyn Bridge.

To add to those changes, the (N) is supposed to be running via the West End Line which is not good for me since I have to take an exam on that Sunday, April 10th.

The (R) is running though? I sure hope that they don't pull the (N)(Q)(R) service change from last weekend...

Planned Service Changes for: Saturday, April 2, 2016

2.png No trains between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av

4.png Woodlawn-bound trains skip 51, 68, 77, 96, 103, 110 and 116 Sts

New Lots Av-bound trains skip Astor Pl, Bleecker St, Spring St and Canal St

5.png No trains between E 180 St and Dyre Av

Trains run every 20 minutes between E 180 St and Bowling Green

6.png Pelham Bay Park-bound trains skip 51, 68, 77, 96, 103, 110 and 116 Sts

Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains skip Astor Pl, Bleecker St, Spring St and Canal St

Brooklyn Bridge-bound trains skip Longwood Av, E 149 St, E 143 St, Cypress Av and Brook Av

7.png No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St

Flushing-bound trains skip 33, 40, 46, 52 and 69 Sts

A.png Trains run via the F.png in both directions between W 4 St and Jay St-MetroTech

Trains make local stops in both directions at 163 St, 155 St and 135 St

Trains make local stops in both directions at 23 St and 50 St

C.png Trains run via the F.png in both directions between W 4 St and Jay St-MetroTech

No trains between 145 St and 168 St

A.png trains provide alternate service

D.png Trains stop at 135 St in both directions

F.png Coney Island-bound platform at Ditmas Av is closed for renovation

Coney Island-bound trains skip 4 Av-9 St, 15 St-Prospect Park and Fort Hamilton Pkwy

Take the G.png instead

Jamaica-bound trains skip 14 St and 23 St

S.png 42 Street Shuttle service operates overnight

L.png No trains between Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Rockaway Pkwy

Q.png Service is extended to Ditmars Blvd

sir.png Trains board at the Tottenville-bound platform from Grasmere to Tompkinsville Stations