Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope it actually has to do with the New Pick being in effect on Sunday. It has always been the case for years.

It would be inaccurate to state that start of the new pick necessarily prevents the operation of G/Os and supplements that day as a rule

However, in practice, running G/Os and supplements on the first day of a new pick is usually avoided.

Nope it actually has to do with the New Pick being in effect on Sunday. It has always been the case for years.

Actually, the Puerto Rican day parade is another factor in why there are no G/Os on June 12, at least on the A division. The fact that there are no G/Os is not solely predicated on the fact that it is the first day of the new pick.
Edited by Dj Hammers

It would be inaccurate to state that start of the new pick necessarily prevents the operation of G/Os and supplements that day as a rule

However, in practice, running G/Os and supplements on the first day of a new pick is usually avoided.

Actually, the Puerto Rican day parade is another factor in why there are no G/Os on June 12, at least on the A division. The fact that there are no G/Os is not solely predicated on the fact that it is the first day of the new pick.

This year it doesn't matter as much, but I would make it where no G.O.'s would be allowed that weekend entirely with Saturday being Belmont Stakes day and many people from outside the New York area in town for  that event

While there is no Triple Crown possibility this time, this Belmont Stakes day could challenge the record attendance for a Belmont without the TC on the line of 74,000 set in 2001 (not including 2012 when while there were 85,000 there, many were already in NYC by the time I'll Have Another, who was supposed to go for the TC was retired) as there are nine other stakes besides the Belmont on that program.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sheespshead Bites.com in an article issued last Friday concerning the work on the Brighton Line Express tracks,quoted the MTA as stating that there will be major work being done on the line in the fall. The article discusses the  NIMBY's complaining about the crane that is lifting the material and its placement at Avenue O this week and its impact on traffic with the Avenue M street fair going on today.

Does anyone know what work is to be done and when will it  start?

Sheespshead Bites.com in an article issued last Friday concerning the work on the Brighton Line Express tracks,quoted the MTA as stating that there will be major work being done on the line in the fall. The article discusses the NIMBY's complaining about the crane that is lifting the material and its placement at Avenue O this week and its impact on traffic with the Avenue M street fair going on today.

Does anyone know what work is to be done and when will it start?

Track replacement

The reason that I referred to the MTA statement about major work is does this include "the closure of the Brighton Line between Kings Highway and Prospect Park usually on the weekends"?

Track work and skipping stations does not bother me at all, it is what I refer to as the line breaks which usually occur on the rare Saturdays that I like to go into Manhattan. The choices that I have can be considered slim and none when the line is out between Prospect Park and Kings Highway.

For a line with 4 tracks, you’d think they could somehow take advantage of the redundancy to prevent total station closures for an entire weekend. If they ever get CBTC, bidirectional express tracks would be the way to go. That way, the entire eastern or western half of the right-of-way could be closed off without segmenting service.

Atending the Bushwick hearing yesterday, the big news on the (L) and (M) changes was:

When the (L) is shut down, the (G) length will be doubled (8×75 ft or 10×60 feet; so not simply having the two cars added), and they will have to keep the older cars longer (and this is being reported, even apart from the (G) today: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ancient-subway-trains-won-replaced-2022-article-1.2323289)

The (M) will run to "midtown" 24/7! Due to weekend work, they're not sure where yet, but was mentioned, of course, Queens, but also possibly 96th/2Av (as someone naturally asked), and even CPW!

Of course, they're leaning toward the 18 month full shutdown, which nearly everyone seems to agree with. 

They'll add a ferry from N7 to a new pier opening at 20th St. and a shuttle bus from Bedford to Essex, with SBS added to the M14, M23 and M34, which will have branches running to the ferry.

(They also explained why in the partial shutdown, there would be no service between Lorimer and Bedford to connect the two (L) services: to prevent unbearable crowding at Bedford, and encourage people coming from Brooklyn to use other options.

On the (M), Phase 1 is the full shutdown, set for the first 2 months, 7-17—8-17. The shuttle buses will be Bway to Wyckoff, Wyckoff to Metropolitan, and a third, running from Metropolitan directly to Flushing Av. (with a stop at Fresh Pond @ I assume, Metropolitan).

Phase 2 (9-17—4-18) has the train shuttle restored from Wyckoff to Metropolitan using 32's trucked in. (Only the Bway to Wyckoff shuttle bus would remain). At first they were planning to build a temporary little inspection barn in Fresh Pond yard (wasn't sure how that would work), but now they plan to keep trucking them when they need to go to the shop.

(I mentioned to someone a "radical idea" after the presentation, of bringing in the two-car 46's for the shuttle, since they will be trucked in and not run through the areas with the clearance problems, and that way, they would not beed a conductor, since it will be double ended with T/O's anyway, but they don't seem to want to bother with that. Would be nice if when they but the new viaduct, since that is one of the problem curves, if they could ease it somehow, so it would no longer be a restriction).

Edited by Eric B

Was wondering how they would shift the cars around to get the full length (G)'s. The (C) and (J) will be getting the new cars, now designated for those lines by being four car sets. So it's a matter of where the 32's will go, and where the extra (G) sets will come from. Didn't think of them putting them on the (G), but I guess that's possible. 

They also said the (J)(M)(Z) will be increased, and the (L) work will free up some more of those cars. The 68's could be sent back to CI, which would free up 160's, but aside from the SAS expansion, I'm not sure where those would go.

Atending the Bushwick hearing yesterday, the big news on the (L) and (M) changes was:

The (M) will run to "midtown" 24/7! Due to weekend work, they're not sure where yet, but was mentioned, of course, Queens, but also possibly 96th/2Av (as someone naturally asked), and even CPW!

Can someone check up on Wallyhorse and see if he is okay?

I think he might've just had a stroke. Either that or drowned in foam.

Seriously though, I'd imagine the MTA would like to keep the (M) running on something resembling its usual route so as to not confuse the masses. Obviously, ongoing work throughout the system will necessitate routing the line away from affected areas, much as it's done on other lines.

Was wondering how they would shift the cars around to get the full length (G)'s. The (C) and (J) will be getting the new cars, now designated for those lines by being four car sets. So it's a matter of where the 32's will go, and where the extra (G) sets will come from. Didn't think of them putting them on the (G), but I guess that's possible. 

They also said the (J)(M)(Z) will be increased, and the (L) work will free up some more of those cars. The 68's could be sent back to CI, which would free up 160's, but aside from the SAS expansion, I'm not sure where those would go.

you'll probably see some of the R143s and R160's that aren't on the (L) or on the (J)(M)(Z) on the (G). Someone did the math before in another thread and it came out to 5 sets of R143/R160 plus the R68s.

And my money is on the (M) going to 96 Street during off hours.

When the (L) is shut down, the (G) length will be doubled (8×75 ft or 10×60 feet; so not simply having the two cars added), and they will have to keep the older cars longer (and this is being reported, even apart from the (G) today: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ancient-subway-trains-won-replaced-2022-article-1.2323289)

The (M) will run to "midtown" 24/7! Due to weekend work, they're not sure where yet, but was mentioned, of course, Queens, but also possibly 96th/2Av (as someone naturally asked), and even CPW!

Of course, they're leaning toward the 18 month full shutdown, which nearly everyone seems to agree with.

They'll add a ferry from N7 to a new pier opening at 20th St. and a shuttle bus from Bedford to Essex, with SBS added to the M14, M23 and M34, which will have branches running to the ferry.

(They also explained why in the partial shutdown, there would be no service between Lorimer and Bedford to connect the two (L) services: to prevent unbearable crowding at Bedford, and encourage people coming from Brooklyn to use other options.

On the (M), Phase 1 is the full shutdown, set for the first 2 months, 7-17—8-17. The shuttle buses will be Bway to Wyckoff, Wyckoff to Metropolitan, and a third, running from Metropolitan directly to Flushing Av. (with a stop at Fresh Pond @ I assume, Metropolitan).

Phase 2 (9-17—4-18) has the train shuttle restored from Wyckoff to Metropolitan using 32's trucked in. (Only the Bway to Wyckoff shuttle bus would remain). At first they were planning to build a temporary little inspection barn in Fresh Pond yard (wasn't sure how that would work), but now they plan to keep trucking them when they need to go to the shop.

(I mentioned to someone a "radical idea" after the presentation, of bringing in the two-car 46's for the shuttle, since they will be trucked in and not run through the areas with the clearance problems, and that way, they would not beed a conductor, since it will be double ended with T/O's anyway, but they don't seem to want to bother with that. Would be nice if when they but the new viaduct, since that is one of the problem curves, if they could ease it somehow, so it would no longer be a restriction).

This confirms two things, the R32's on the (M) shuttle and the (G) being 600" meaning whatever extra cars are left (R32's) would probably go to the (G) unless it stays with R68's

you'll probably see some of the R143s and R160's that aren't on the (L) or on the (J)(M)(Z) on the (G). Someone did the math before in another thread and it came out to 5 sets of R143/R160 plus the R68s.

And my money is on the (M) going to 96 Street during off hours.

If anything the R32's will have to be on the (A) by default the (G) is the only other line since they're banned on the B,D,N,Q and R lines and Jamaica is rumored to be 100% R160 so the (A) and (G) are the only two options

I can imagine the huge amount of foaming this is gonna bring. The next few years are gonna be the most interesting ones in railfanning yet. Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Seriously though, I'd imagine the MTA would like to keep the (M) running on something resembling its usual route so as to not confuse the masses. Obviously, ongoing work throughout the system will necessitate routing the line away from affected areas, much as it's done on other lines.

Yeah, wasn't even thinking of Wallyhorse. Where is he? If I didn't recognize Peter Cafiero, I'd have to ask if maybe it was him impersonating an official!  :lol:

(Should also clarify that those alternate routings were only for weekends. Weekdays, it will still run normally, to Queens. But I guess everyone got that. 

I still say they will have to take the (M) off of it's low priority status whenever there's any problem and they want to cut it out of the IND service!)

you'll probably see some of the R143s and R160's that aren't on the  (L) or on the  (J)(M)(Z) on the  (G). Someone did the math before in another thread and it came out to 5 sets of R143/R160 plus the R68s.

Apparently not, as they seemed to specify 600', so it wouldn't use 143's or 160A1's.
Edited by Eric B

HA HA HA!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D 

Anyway, I do think in the end the full-time run to 96th/2nd at (T) (supplemental on weekdays at 5 TPH, as the regular line late nights at 3 TPH and on weekends at 6-9 TPH) is the easiest and again, something I would do as soon as the (M) shutdown is completed in the spring of 2018 since this also supplements the (Q) that I think will be needed.

CPW to 145 would be good late nights weekends as well since the (M) in that scenario would be a supplement to the (C) during the day and (A) late nights.  

Which is exactly why I do what I do with the split (M) into (M) and (T) (regular (M) still runs to 71-Continental weekdays as it does now).  CBTC work on QB is the actual reason why I do that, but the fact this also supplements the (Q) to me is just as big.  Politics is also why I do that given the UES does have a lot of political clout and if they see the (M) there on weekends, they will want a similar weekday supplement, hence the (T) that really is the (M) but running to 96th/2nd.