New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a list of the new gate assignments for Lakeland and NJ Transit.

Per Lakeland Bus website: https://www.lakelandbus.com

ALL WESTBOUND DEPARTURES HAVE BEEN RELOCATED TO THE LOWER LEVEL (BASEMENT) OF PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL. CHANGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

GATE #8 Route 46 to Dover Local (Boonton)
Fairfield – Pinebrook – Parsippany – Boonton – Mt. Lakes – Denville – Rockaway – Dover

Gate #10 Route 46 to Dover EXPRESS
Fairfield- Pinebrook-Parsippany- Mt.Lakes – Denville- Rockaway-Dover – Rockaway Mall -Howard Boulevard

Gate #12 Route 80 to Sparta: Peak Hours (5:20 & 6PM)
Rockaway Mall – Blue heron Park and Ride – Lake Mohawk – Sparta Park and Ride

Gate #14 Route 80 to Newton/ Express to Rockaway Mall & Howard Boulevard
Rockaway Mall – Howard Boulevard Park and Ride – Landing – Netcong – Stanhope – Andover – Newton

Gate #16 Route 78 to Bernardsville (Local)
Summit – New Providence – Berkeley Heights – Lyons – Basking Ridge – Bernardsville

Gate #20 Route 78 to Bernardsville (Express)
Warren Park and Ride – Lyons – Basking Ridge – Bernardsville

All changes went into effect October 2.

Per Port Authority website: https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/en/port-authority/nj-transit-gate-changes.html

As of October 28, 2023, several NJ Transit routes have been relocated to new gates at the Midtown Bus Terminal, to improve accessibility and service to bus customers.

See below for the list of affected routes and their new gate assignments.*

*NOTE: There will be no changes to late night/early morning gate assignments between 1:01AM and 5:59AM.

For additional information and language assistance, please contact NJ Transit Customer Service at (973) 275-5555 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5PM daily or visit the NJ Transit website: www.njtransit.com.

NJ Transit                         Weekdays           Weekdays              Weekdays           Weekday & Weekends        Saturday & Sunday

Bus Route Number      6AM-3:29PM      3:30PM-7:30PM    7:31PM-10PM               10:01PM-1AM                        6AM-10PM

101                                         N/A                          315                        315                                N/A                                      N/A

105                                         N/A                          315                        315                                N/A                                      N/A

107L                                       307                          307                        307                                306                                      307

107X                                      306                           306                        306                                306                                      306

108                                        308                           308                        308                                306                                      308

112                                        207                           207                        207                                317                                      207

115                                        223                           207                        207                                316                                      223

116                                        207                           207                        207                                317                                      207

122                                        206                           206                        N/A                                N/A                                     N/A

124                                        206                           N/A                       206                                 320                                     N/A

127                                        205                           205                       205                                 313                                     205

129                                        206                           206                       206                                 320                                     206

144                                        224                           313                       N/A                                 N/A                                     N/A

153                                        N/A                           204                       N/A                                 N/A                                     N/A

154                                       204                            204                       204                                 304                                     204

155                                       N/A                            221                       N/A                                 N/A                                     N/A

157                                       N/A                            221                       N/A                                 N/A                                     N/A

160                                      224                              55                        312                                 312                                     224

163T                                    224                            224                        224                                 312                                     224

163P                                    N/A                            313                        N/A                                N/A                                     N/A

168T                                    N/A                             221                       221                                N/A                                     N/A

190                                      232                             232                       232                                310                                      232

194                                      233                             303                       233                                307                                      233

197                                      233                             233                        233                               307                                      233

198                                      233                             233                       233                                307                                      233

320                                      314                             314                       314                                314                                      314

With these new assignments, the following carriers are at the following gates:

400 Gates: Coach USA (Community Coach, Rockland Coaches, Olympia Trails, Short Line, Suburban Trails)

300 Gates: NJ Transit

200 Gates: NJ Transit

60-85 Gates: Greyhound, Peter Pan (NJ Transit during the late night hours when South Wing is closed)

51-56 Gates: NJ Transit, Community Lines and Spanish Transportation (Jitney buses)

1-34 Gates: Trailways (Adirondack, Fullington, Martz), Academy, C&J, Lakeland, OurBus (Commuter Routes, Coach, Prime), Trans-Bridge

11 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Surreal to see a NABI get the black paint at Meadowlands 

500 of them are to get rehabbed and the rest replaced by new flyers more then likely. 5201(donated)is already gone, but it seems 5202-5699 will be goners, and getting those Nabis back from the privates started that early, 

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

Apparently NJT will be getting 200 articulated buses alongside the 550 40-ft buses.

This is what I saw on Facebook earlier:

---------------------
2311-77 BUS STOCK PROGRAM: PURCHASE OF 550 40-FOOT AND 200 60-FOOT ARTICULATED BUSES – Authorization to purchase 550 40-foot and 200 60-foot Transit Buses, including capital spare parts, at a cost not to exceed $685,957,704.70, plus 10 percent for contingencies, subject to the availability of funds.
---------------------
In the detailed agenda, it's stated these will be the last diesel buses purchased by NJT. The included option is up to 750 additional 40-footers (1300 total in this contract) and up to 550 more artics (750 total). Ironically, there is no mention of the manufacturer, but New Flyer was the only bidder, so we're looking at a fleet of XD40s and XD60s.

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Apparently NJT will be getting 200 articulated buses alongside the 550 40-ft buses.

This is what I saw on Facebook earlier:

---------------------
2311-77 BUS STOCK PROGRAM: PURCHASE OF 550 40-FOOT AND 200 60-FOOT ARTICULATED BUSES – Authorization to purchase 550 40-foot and 200 60-foot Transit Buses, including capital spare parts, at a cost not to exceed $685,957,704.70, plus 10 percent for contingencies, subject to the availability of funds.
---------------------
In the detailed agenda, it's stated these will be the last diesel buses purchased by NJT. The included option is up to 750 additional 40-footers (1300 total in this contract) and up to 550 more artics (750 total). Ironically, there is no mention of the manufacturer, but New Flyer was the only bidder, so we're looking at a fleet of XD40s and XD60s.

And where exactly are they going to put all these 200 XD60's?? LMAO.

7 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

https://www.facebook.com/100064719755169/posts/pfbid02zAsYVJYayyZswcxC2nm735Mvtjo8z5gX457mPEpee6L83bxrGwNwPoEREAe4fDVkl/?mibextid=CDWPTG

NJ Transit is giving some of their current fleet a retro look. Not sure how long it will last, but it's something to be on the lookout for.

Yeah I only saw that one so far

14 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

https://www.facebook.com/100064719755169/posts/pfbid02zAsYVJYayyZswcxC2nm735Mvtjo8z5gX457mPEpee6L83bxrGwNwPoEREAe4fDVkl/?mibextid=CDWPTG

NJ Transit is giving some of their current fleet a retro look. Not sure how long it will last, but it's something to be on the lookout for.

7 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Yeah I only saw that one so far

Caught it the other day on the 1. It was repainted in September or October.

IMG_9868.jpg.e450f3ec2d44ce726347d0b15a5

On 11/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, Lawrence St said:

And where exactly are they going to put all these 200 XD60's?? LMAO.

I believe the older Nabis they'll scrap will be kinda like a tradeoff for the new XD60s. For example, Meadowlands current Nabi suburbans may all be replaced by XD60s. Most of not some of Hilton's older Nabi transit Model will be replaced by the XD60s so to have routes 1, 13, 25,39 and 70 to have a full dosage of XD60s during the entire day. Don't rule out seeing some XD60s on other routes that are normally 40 foot bus routes. If NJT could change the gate assignment at the PABT for the 107, then you could possibly have some artics run that route during the day as well. Fairview could have most of their Nabi suburbans replaced by new XD60s as well. I would like to see route 80 have artics on that line all day because the Westside Avenue and Society Hill area is just booming with higher ridership. Notice I didn't mention route 87, which they could use the artics too. Most of us know that route has many tight turns on side streets. Jersey City may have to adjust certain areas of the street scape for the 87 route to accompany artics. Of course Greenville is a small garage, I've been saying for years that NJ Transit should have invested in buying property or acres of land in Jersey City, in particular off route 440 to build a bigger garage. Jersey City's population is rising and will soon if not by next year overtake Newark into becoming the largest city population wise in New Jersey. With all these luxury condos and apartments being built and some New Yorkers moving into Jersey City, NJT needs to be ready of handling such large crowds on their bus lines and light rail

6 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

I believe the older Nabis they'll scrap will be kinda like a tradeoff for the new XD60s. For example, Meadowlands current Nabi suburbans may all be replaced by XD60s. Most of not some of Hilton's older Nabi transit Model will be replaced by the XD60s so to have routes 1, 13, 25,39 and 70 to have a full dosage of XD60s during the entire day. Don't rule out seeing some XD60s on other routes that are normally 40 foot bus routes. If NJT could change the gate assignment at the PABT for the 107, then you could possibly have some artics run that route during the day as well. Fairview could have most of their Nabi suburbans replaced by new XD60s as well. I would like to see route 80 have artics on that line all day because the Westside Avenue and Society Hill area is just booming with higher ridership. Notice I didn't mention route 87, which they could use the artics too. Most of us know that route has many tight turns on side streets. Jersey City may have to adjust certain areas of the street scape for the 87 route to accompany artics. Of course Greenville is a small garage, I've been saying for years that NJ Transit should have invested in buying property or acres of land in Jersey City, in particular off route 440 to build a bigger garage. Jersey City's population is rising and will soon if not by next year overtake Newark into becoming the largest city population wise in New Jersey. With all these luxury condos and apartments being built and some New Yorkers moving into Jersey City, NJT needs to be ready of handling such large crowds on their bus lines and light rail

I wonder if that could also mean the end of full service on all Fairview lines.

18 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

I agree with most of this...If the 1 use artics with its tight turns i think the 87  can manage....Only problem is that greenville cant house artics cause of they garage being to small....Yes Jersey City is rising in terms of ridership base...And its been quite amazing that transit somehow got the man power to take over JC Former  Routes....

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I agree with most of this...If the 1 use artics with its tight turns i think the 87  can manage....Only problem is that greenville cant house artics cause of they garage being to small....Yes Jersey City is rising in terms of ridership base...And its been quite amazing that transit somehow got the man power to take over JC Former  Routes....

Well, NJT seems to only add a few 80S runs to and from Society Hill. Remember, that route during peak period under A&C before COVID hit had at least 10 buses running that line during the weekday. Now it seems reduced I'm guessing to 4 to 5 buses. Bergen Ave is the same as well. Runs are reduced, therefore you might see six to eight buses during peak period. Weekends are a total different story. Route 9 Newport Mall only has one bus instead of two during the weekend is a prime example. I wish NJT would extend service hours on the 80 route until 1:45a in that area of Westside because the commuters coming from New York off Path. Now with the routes formerly operated by O.N.E we can see a vast reduction in routes 24 and certainly the  31 because I'm sure it's because of not having the man power. I could remember the 31 alone had close to 20 buses operating on S. Orange Ave. Now it's 10 or less

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

By the way, NJT may need to collaborate with the city of Jersey City to fix it's street patterns on certain intersections that are either narrow or tight turns if they want artics on that line. The 163 route which makes that 45 or so degree turn I want to say Paterson-Plank road, the town made sure to move the white line further back to allow 45 cruisers of making a clear turn. Before that new turn, it went up to the residential street to get to Boulevard. I guess there were many complaints made by the residents to have those cruisers stay on the main road than to enter there one-way street

10 minutes ago, FlxMtroD said:

Well, NJT seems to only add a few 80S runs to and from Society Hill. Remember, that route during peak period under A&C before COVID hit had at least 10 buses running that line during the weekday. Now it seems reduced I'm guessing to 4 to 5 buses. Bergen Ave is the same as well. Runs are reduced, therefore you might see six to eight buses during peak period. Weekends are a total different story. Route 9 Newport Mall only has one bus instead of two during the weekend is a prime example. I wish NJT would extend service hours on the 80 route until 1:45a in that area of Westside because the commuters coming from New York off Path. Now with the routes formerly operated by O.N.E we can see a vast reduction in routes 24 and certainly the  31 because I'm sure it's because of not having the man power. I could remember the 31 alone had close to 20 buses operating on S. Orange Ave. Now it's 10 or less

1 minute ago, FlxMtroD said:

By the way, NJT may need to collaborate with the city of Jersey City to fix it's street patterns on certain intersections that are either narrow or tight turns if they want artics on that line. The 163 route which makes that 45 or so degree turn I want to say Paterson-Plank road, the town made sure to move the white line further back to allow 45 cruisers of making a clear turn. Before that new turn, it went up to the residential street to get to Boulevard. I guess there were many complaints made by the residents to have those cruisers stay on the main road than to enter there one-way street

Yes i agree with most....The 9 should operate much better on weekdays and wkends...How they expect ridership to grow back on that line with headways like that....8 should run a little  later than 7 and at least every 15 mins....i say midnight should be the last bus from jsq....80s i dont think gonna boost anything cause you still have the 80 on westside.....But yes before covid buses was clock work now u can walk faster than depending on where u going