New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nightmare402 said:

I can see the 80S being permanent to replace society Hill since it goes down sip

Thats whats gonna have to happen....All that would do is add about five mins as it would just have to do the danforth ave loop or have it simply end at society hill ppl needing greenville along westside stiil have the 80 there....The 80s also gonna have to run more during the day not just rush hours if transit decide to go with that option...Its gonna be interesting how this play out cause greenville and meadowlands  is max out after the 119/10 takeover...Only way i see this work if the buses from A&C  go to Ironbound and do the Routes from there...Cause if transit leave those lines (Talking mainly 30 33) without backup the 80 and especially the 87 gonna be packed beyond measures...

Edited by biGC323232

On 7/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, biGC323232 said:

Thats whats gonna have to happen....All that would do is add about five mins as it would just have to do the danforth ave loop or have it simply end at society hill ppl needing greenville along westside stiil have the 80 there....The 80s also gonna have to run more during the day not just rush hours if transit decide to go with that option...Its gonna be interesting how this play out cause greenville and meadowlands  is max out after the 119/10 takeover...Only way i see this work if the buses from A&C  go to Ironbound and do the Routes from there...Cause if transit leave those lines (Talking mainly 30 33) without backup the 80 and especially the 87 gonna be packed beyond measures...

I agree. The 30 and 33 are always full of people, especially during the school year. If NJ Transit don't develop a backup plan, I don't know if you been to the square during rush hour, but it'll get even worse. 

On 7/29/2023 at 3:06 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Could there be alternatives for the 31 and 32? The 32 does get some ridership from my experience but the 31 is a hole in the wall.

I've been trying to figure the 32 since I heard the news. No other bus goes anywhere near 440 (the 1 bus yes but it's stops are by lincoln park). I think something should replace that line but limited. The 31 is mostly a lost cause. People use it yes but not like how it was years ago. 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, nightmare402 said:

I can see the 80S being permanent to replace society Hill since it goes down sip

Agree. Out of the four that line would be easy to replace. Just increase 80S services throughout the day. 

8 hours ago, dkm07302 said:

I agree. The 30 and 33 are always full of people, especially during the school year. If NJ Transit don't develop a backup plan, I don't know if you been to the square during rush hour, but it'll get even worse. 

I've been trying to figure the 32 since I heard the news. No other bus goes anywhere near 440 (the 1 bus yes but it's stops are by lincoln park). I think something should replace that line but limited. The 31 is mostly a lost cause. People use it yes but not like how it was years ago. 

Agree. Out of the four that line would be easy to replace. Just increase 80S services throughout the day. 

I rode the 31 recently and barely anyone even got on the bus. I believe once the 31 stopped serving inside the mall was a factor of low ridership. The 80S would need to be increased for sure. However I'm also unsure how the 32 could be replaced as you are right there's isn't a nearby alternative. Plus nobody really gets on/off along Mallory Avenue . 

Has anyone heard of the PABT - Paterson jitneys being extended to Willowbrook Mall? Not sure if this extension made it through COVID, but if it did, good for folks living along the #712 route west of Downtown Paterson, and good for those jitney operators recognizing the need/demand for extra service. 

https://www.jerseyjitneys.info/?page_id=11

23 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Has anyone heard of the PABT - Paterson jitneys being extended to Willowbrook Mall? Not sure if this extension made it through COVID, but if it did, good for folks living along the #712 route west of Downtown Paterson, and good for those jitney operators recognizing the need/demand for extra service. 

https://www.jerseyjitneys.info/?page_id=11

No, but I find it interesting that they can opt to run jitneys way out to Willowbrook, yet all those Riverview Towers patrons right across the river gotta walk to downtown Paterson to catch them.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

No, but I find it interesting that they can opt to run jitneys way out to Willowbrook, yet all those Riverview Towers patrons right across the river gotta walk to downtown Paterson to catch them.

That Northside area is just flat-out neglected transportation-wise. The #744/748 don't run on Sundays, and the #703 runs on Sundays but ends in Downtown Paterson. And once you get away from the river it starts getting hilly to boot. 

In any case, if this route extension still exists, then they can actually catch it on the West Broadway side (along with the #703/748). For anyone heading to Willowbrook Mall, I'm sure it's more reliable than the #748, and more convenient than walking into Downtown Paterson for the #704/712. 

On 8/8/2023 at 1:43 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I called Spanish Transportation and unfortunately they don't operate that extension anymore. (Not sure if any of the smaller jitney companies operate it, but most likely not)

How did you even get a phone number for the company?? It shocks me how sketchy and non-communicative that company is, and yet they can legally run all over NJ (and frankly do a better job than NJT, even if it feels like you are on a bus in a third world country) 

2 hours ago, 46Dover said:

….not the new ones??!!!

The way how njt specs their buses, more specifically the ISX12 and X12 caused these buses to live in the shop. Meadowlands has over 35 21000s out of service. It took 5 years to work out the bugs in the 18000s and they still breaking down. 18089 was in the shop 2/3 of the time and most times they just ran it to make service. 

The 17000s we got are not going to last at eht with the 24hr work we do and a 67mph gov; they are literally choking the buses to an early grave. They worked at decamp because they don’t do relentless driving. 

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

The way how njt specs their buses, more specifically the ISX12 and X12 caused these buses to live in the shop. Meadowlands has over 35 21000s out of service. It took 5 years to work out the bugs in the 18000s and they still breaking down. 18089 was in the shop 2/3 of the time and most times they just ran it to make service. 

The 17000s we got are not going to last at eht with the 24hr work we do and a 67mph gov; they are literally choking the buses to an early grave. They worked at decamp because they don’t do relentless driving. 

Well shoot, 18089 and it’s ilk are gonna love Warwick 🙄