New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

0n Jan 20, NJT is expanding it Quiet Commuter Cars from 6 am to 8pm on all lines. Some train lines used the usual first cars to Hoboken and last cars away from hoboken. The NEC and NJCL uses both first and last cars. The Bay head shuttle uses first cars in both direction.This is new. I have to laugh at the Atlantic City  because going to AC will be the last cars and first car going to Philly. Why aim i laughing? It next to the engine. You call that quiet? On RVL they mention about quiet commuter cars is designated but they did not say which car. 

i wish it was all night long

Edited by pjbr40

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm on 7212 on the 64H right now and it's making all kinds of noise specially some crazy whistling noise up front (I'm thinking the AC unit). The op and dispatchers at Old Bridge wanted to have the mechanics there look at it and take one of the standby buses if they had to and one of the higher up guys told him to be on his way and keep the bus. So now its whistling like hell all the way up the Turnpike.

These DesignLines is GARBAGE. G A R B A G E these foamers can sit here and drool over them all they want but they're not the ones riding. I really hope they let Transit get rid of em, at least when all these MCIs come in just let them sit and rot in the depot...

So I'm on 7212 on the 64H right now and it's making all kinds of noise specially some crazy whistling noise up front (I'm thinking the AC unit). The op and dispatchers at Old Bridge wanted to have the mechanics there look at it and take one of the standby buses if they had to and one of the higher up guys told him to be on his way and keep the bus. So now its whistling like hell all the way up the Turnpike.

These DesignLines is GARBAGE. G A R B A G E these foamers can sit here and drool over them all they want but they're not the ones riding. I really hope they let Transit get rid of em, at least when all these MCIs come in just let them sit and rot in the depot...

Heard about that last night when I got home from Jersey. That hasn't been the only bus with that issue either.

From what I was told a few nights ago, 7102, 7105, 7111, 7113, 7478, 7466, 7467 (which ironically broke down on Thursday), 7279, 7281, 7283, 7214 and 7993 all had those issues out of Howell, some of which had them bringing cold air into the bus. What blew my mind was that the new buses are having those issues. I'm not sure what it is, but they haven't been on the ball lately.

Edited by Cait Sith
typos.

Heard about that last night when I got home from Jersey. That hasn't been the only bus with that issue either.

From what I was told a few nights ago, 7102, 7105, 7111, 7113, 7478, 7466, 7467 (which ironically broke down on Thursday), 7279, 7281, 7283, 7214 and 7993 all had those issues out of Howell, some of which had them bringing cold air into the bus. What blew my mind was that the new buses are having those issues. I'm not sure what it is, but they haven't been on the ball lately.

If they're screwing up in the cold, who knows what'll happen during the summer months.

7279's issues must not have been that major seeing as how they bought it back out Friday. The same can be said for 7214, but I don't know how it did the rest of the night, because I got 7293 before 7214 showed up.

So apparently there was a bus accident, a bus almost drove out of the second floor at PABT

Driver suffered a heart attack which led to it and 5 people injured

https://twitter.com/jerseyvortex/status/557676753150570498

That's actually the 3rd floor. My sympathies to the operator and those who were injured.

I was still in NY when everything calmed down after that. All I can say is it's a good thing that bus wasn't going any faster than what was said or that would of been a major, major tragedy. Surely the people on the bus and anyone on the ground/street would of been killed if that bus went over if that bus went any faster and that wall wasn't as strong as it is. 

Howells maintaince isn't exactly top of the line. They send buses to us or washington twp and meadowlands for issues they cant get fixed.

There getting better, there was a time it was worse.

Academy's maintenance must not be much better. 8584 was whining like a baby when I rode it. If their buses are in that bad of shape why are they even on 9 if their prone to breakdowns?

Academy's maintenance must not be much better. 8584 was whining like a baby when I rode it. If their buses are in that bad of shape why are they even on 9 if their prone to breakdowns?

Whines don't technically mean their maintenance is that bad, or bad at all for that matter. Most whines are just because of lack of specific fluids.

Edited by Cait Sith

Since it's a snow day (for the next couple of days) and I'm home, my mind went wandering.

I've thought about the scenario of Rockland Coaches eventually dissolving, and what the outfall may be.

Here is my list - this is just purely speculation and entertainment:

NJ Transit:

155 - Extended to New Milford via River Road/Boulevard (replaces 21)
165 - extended to Spring Valley.  11A trips become 165R trips.
174 - Westwood-Montvale-Harrington Park-New York PABT via Knickerbocker Road (replaces 14)
184 - Westwood/Northvale-New York GWB via Tenafly Road (replaces 84)
185 - Westwood-New York GWB (replaces 11C - truncate at Westwood)
170 - West Nyack-New York PABT (replaces 20, no changes)
179 - West Nyack-New York both terminals via Route 9W (replaces 9, reroute and truncate at Palisades Center).

What garages would cover all that...????  IDK, but Oradell is pretty much maxed out at peak.  They could take on more work on the weekends though.  Maybe spread across Oradell, Meadowlands and Market Street.  Or NJ Transit buys the Westwood Garage.  Again - it's fun to dream!

45/46/47/49 and 9/11A Stony Point/Haverstraw legs go to Short Line.

Last NJ Transit train out of N.Y. will be 8 p.m.

\
PAUL NUSSBAUM, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
LAST UPDATED: Monday, January 26, 2015, 5:57 PM
POSTED: Monday, January 26, 2015, 4:48 PM

SEPTA subways will remain open all night and Tuesday's Regional Rail trains will run on a Saturday schedule, as transit agencies respond to the impending snowstorm.

NJTransit will halt service Monday evening. No trains or buses will depart after 8 p.m. Service will resume "when conditions permit," NJTransit said.

SEPTA service was unaffected Monday, spokeswoman Jerri Williams said.

SEPTA will post planned bus detours for Tuesday on its website by 8 p.m. Monday, she said.

Late night service will be suspended for buses that usually replace Broad Street and Market-Frankford subway service, as the two subway lines will remain open all night. All other Nite Owl bus services will continue to operate.

Regional Rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule on Tuesday, Williams said.

PATCO trains will operate normally Monday. On Tuesday, they will run every 10 minutes during morning and afternoon rush hours and every 15 minutes during nonpeak times, spokeswoman Fran O'Brien said.

Edited by Union Tpke