New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it's a snow day (for the next couple of days) and I'm home, my mind went wandering.

I've thought about the scenario of Rockland Coaches eventually dissolving, and what the outfall may be.

Here is my list - this is just purely speculation and entertainment:

NJ Transit:

155 - Extended to New Milford via River Road/Boulevard (replaces 21)
165 - extended to Spring Valley.  11A trips become 165R trips.
174 - Westwood-Montvale-Harrington Park-New York PABT via Knickerbocker Road (replaces 14)
184 - Westwood/Northvale-New York GWB via Tenafly Road (replaces 84)
185 - Westwood-New York GWB (replaces 11C - truncate at Westwood)
170 - West Nyack-New York PABT (replaces 20, no changes)
179 - West Nyack-New York both terminals via Route 9W (replaces 9, reroute and truncate at Palisades Center).

What garages would cover all that...????  IDK, but Oradell is pretty much maxed out at peak.  They could take on more work on the weekends though.  Maybe spread across Oradell, Meadowlands and Market Street.  Or NJ Transit buys the Westwood Garage.  Again - it's fun to dream!

45/46/47/49 and 9/11A Stony Point/Haverstraw legs go to Short Line.

Saddle River Tours' Ameribus operates the 11C and the 20/84, so where ShortLine and Oradell are not viable options on their own, Ameribus would be next.

Apparently you can only buy monthly passes with the app. I hope they make it so you can buy tickets with it soon.

How bout they start worrying about the safety of the us operators carrying around money like we are "garda" or something.

I agree. If anything, I think it's time for partitions on the MCIs.

Buying tix i dont think would make it to that, for the simple fact too many ppl already wizz there way with the tix agents to get the senior tix or just use the tvm to get it without having to show any id. Its time for some type of card and install fareboxes on all buses. Get rid of the mpass. We are still in the stone ages.

when did the 94 start having multiple branches the 94 route 22/ 94 stanley terrace/ and the 94  union center  cause i only remember the 94- bloomfield center and linden branches? 

AFAIK it's been like that for ages.  One of the legs used to be the 96 (forgot which one - that's going back to the 1980's).  Has nothing to do with the present-day 96.  The 94 used to continue past Bloomfield Center to the Newark Subway Franklin Avenue Station (now its called Branch Brook Park).  One leg went down Belleville Avenue, the other Montgomery Street.  This was replaced with a rerouted 92 (Belleville Avenue) and the 93, which has since been discontinued.  Now there is NO bus on Montgomery Street in Bloomfield/Belleville at all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Enter Lakeland :)

Actually, that raised a question: Why doesn't Lakeland do non-peak trips via Route 202 between Boonton and Wayne? The Montclair-Boontons trains that run along that road neither operate outside rush hours nor provide direct access to Penn Station. Added to that, the 871 only serves Route 202 every three hours. Or does the lack of service in itself answer my question?

Actually, that raised a question: Why doesn't Lakeland do non-peak trips via Route 202 between Boonton and Wayne? The Montclair-Boontons trains that run along that road neither operate outside rush hours nor provide direct access to Penn Station. Added to that, the 871 only serves Route 202 every three hours. Or does the lack of service in itself answer my question?

Yeah, I know, we only do two peak trips that follow NJT's Boonton Line from Boonton to Wayne (the Mountain View-Wayne station, not the Route 23 Station). I think Lakeland was constructed as more of a New York City oriented service more than anything else. I think you are right in that there has to be demand for more bus service (off peak as you would say)

Edited by 46Dover

Interesting alert on the NJT website. They are showing the 835p 166 to Cresskill as being 30 mins down due to heavy passenger volume. I've never seen them post and individual schedule like that and I'm kinda shocked they can't find somebody to cover that trip so it can leave the PABT ontime.

Interesting alert on the NJT website. They are showing the 835p 166 to Cresskill as being 30 mins down due to heavy passenger volume. I've never seen them post and individual schedule like that and I'm kinda shocked they can't find somebody to cover that trip so it can leave the PABT ontime.

166 with heavy passenger volume? where has NJT been at lately...? lol

Decent little trip yesterday down in Central/South Jersey... Although I still have a bone to pick with how NJT routes are treated down in the basement there during the early AM hours (the 139 is stated to leave from gate 81, but every single time I ride that early morning 5am 139, there's always a Greyhound bus there.... This is why I stand outside the gates to see where buses are arriving & leaving from, instead of waiting on the inside oblivious to where these buses will actually pull up)....

How's this sound to some of you:

#139: left PABT 5am, arrived Lakewood 6:24am ($17.50)

#559: left Lakewood 6:41am, arrived AC 9:22am ($8.15)

#551: left AC 9:45am, arrived Philly 11:05am ($16.50)

#317: left Philly 11:28am, arrived Asbury 3:07pm ($20.75)

It started snowing when I was on the 317, so I cut the trip short... Didn't know how NJT was gonna handle service due to inclement weather...

Although I saw the bus I wanted to take (837) to long branch, I made the walk to burger king & got some'n to eat before those rides on the NJCL back to penn (that was another reason I cut the trip short... Hunger... Stomach pangs. These days of not eating breakfast is catching up to me)....

^^ ....Just don't ask me how I managed to stay awake throughout all of that... Lol.

(The NYC part of the trip was doo-doo from the time I got to Penn, so I'm not gonna bother posting it..... I think this is the first time I got on a bus, dozed off, and woke up JUST as the bus made the turn for the last stop... Happened on the B62 I took from Queens plz..... That MF-er was driving slow as shit; I spent longer on it, than I did the full 139 - by 2 minutes)

Edited by B35 via Church

Decent little trip yesterday down in Central/South Jersey... Although I still have a bone to pick with how NJT routes are treated down in the basement there during the early AM hours (the 139 is stated to leave from gate 81, but every single time I ride that early morning 5am 139, there's always a Greyhound bus there.... This is why I stand outside the gates to see where buses are arriving & leaving from, instead of waiting on the inside oblivious to where these buses will actually pull up)....

How's this sound to some of you:

#139: left PABT 5am, arrived Lakewood 6:24am ($17.50)

#559: left Lakewood 6:41am, arrived AC 9:22am ($8.15)

#551: left AC 9:45am, arrived Philly 11:05am ($16.50)

#317: left Philly 11:28am, arrived Asbury 3:07pm ($20.75)

It started snowing when I was on the 317, so I cut the trip short... Didn't know how NJT was gonna handle service due to inclement weather...

Although I saw the bus I wanted to take (837) to long branch, I made the walk to burger king & got some'n to eat before those rides on the NJCL back to penn (that was another reason I cut the trip short... Hunger... Stomach pangs. These days of not eating breakfast is catching up to me)....

^^ ....Just don't ask me how I managed to stay awake throughout all of that... Lol.

(The NYC part of the trip was doo-doo from the time I got to Penn, so I'm not gonna bother posting it..... I think this is the first time I got on a bus, dozed off, and woke up JUST as the bus made the turn for the last stop... Happened on the B62 I took from Queens plz..... That MF-er was driving slow as shit; I spent longer on it, than I did the full 139 - by 2 minutes)

If I had the time, I'd do those kinds of trips. Is the 317 really that long in terms of time?

If I had the time, I'd do those kinds of trips. Is the 317 really that long in terms of time?

I can only do them on the weekends (and the older I get, the less stoked/apt I feel like doing them these days).... Weekdays, forget it.

Anyway, to your question, Yup.... That wasn't an abnormal ride (like due to some traffic hangup or something)... a typical ride on the 317 takes anywhere from 3.5 to 4 hours, fam... I'll admit, about 25% (1 hour) of the ride is spent driving through a bunch of nothing....

Believe it or not, we actually got to asbury early... Could've got there earlier if the path to get in & out of Moorestown Mall was altered (that, and the fact we trailed a salt truck inside mall property didn't help matters either... It's like being stuck on a city bus on a 1 lane street trailing a garbage truck (don't know if you've ever been through that, but if not, believe me, it's no fun).... Then again, after Browns Mills, no one got on or off the bus 'til we hit Lakewood (that's about an hour ride nonstop right there)...

Between Lakewood & Brick, was the most passenger activity we had during the entire trip (this is common).... 27 people got on at Lakewood, and I was one of 7 people on the bus when we got to lakewood (4 people got off, which left 3 of us)... Of the 3 of us, myself & this other dude stayed (physically) on the bus, and one guy got off to (I guess) take a leak along w/ the driver... So we left Lakewood w/ 30 pax.

I say that to say, if the 317 got cut short to Lakewood, it would cut an hour's worth of runtime, but the route would struggle to survive.... I imagine during the weekday, the college kids give the route more usage, but FWIW, I'd still say it is the portion b/w Lakewood & Asbury that gives the route overall the most usage....

Although nothing can be done about it, smh at the diversion around Ft Dix (since it no longer runs through it)... Feels like you're riding around in circles, because the surrounding area all looks the same.....

I can only do them on the weekends (and the older I get, the less stoked/apt I feel like doing them these days).... Weekdays, forget it.

Anyway, to your question, Yup.... That wasn't an abnormal ride (like due to some traffic hangup or something)... a typical ride on the 317 takes anywhere from 3.5 to 4 hours, fam... I'll admit, about 25% (1 hour) of the ride is spent driving through a bunch of nothing....

Believe it or not, we actually got to asbury early... Could've got there earlier if the path to get in & out of Moorestown Mall was altered (that, and the fact we trailed a salt truck inside mall property didn't help matters either... It's like being stuck on a city bus on a 1 lane street trailing a garbage truck (don't know if you've ever been through that, but if not, believe me, it's no fun).... Then again, after Browns Mills, no one got on or off the bus 'til we hit Lakewood (that's about an hour ride nonstop right there)...

Between Lakewood & Brick, was the most passenger activity we had during the entire trip (this is common).... 27 people got on at Lakewood, and I was one of 7 people on the bus when we got to lakewood (4 people got off, which left 3 of us)... Of the 3 of us, myself & this other dude stayed (physically) on the bus, and one guy got off to (I guess) take a leak along w/ the driver... So we left Lakewood w/ 30 pax.

I say that to say, if the 317 got cut short to Lakewood, it would cut an hour's worth of runtime, but the route would struggle to survive.... I imagine during the weekday, the college kids give the route more usage, but FWIW, I'd still say it is the portion b/w Lakewood & Asbury that gives the route overall the most usage....

Although nothing can be done about it, smh at the diversion around Ft Dix (since it no longer runs through it)... Feels like you're riding around in circles, because the surrounding area all looks the same.....

The 317 and 319 is sorta like NJT's version of Greyhound with long trips. Doesn't the 317 run LAV buses?

No lavs on the 317. The ridership doeant call for lavs. Only between camden & burlington it gets heavy you may get some stragglers in cookstown then after that nothing til lakewood for asbury park. Howell doesnt want to service asbury park-lakewood.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

The 317 and 319 is sorta like NJT's version of Greyhound with long trips. Doesn't the 317 run LAV buses?

....with the difference being one is a long local & the other being a point-to-point express.

As far as bathrooms on the 317, as was said, nope.... It's why you'll have b/o's taking a small layover at Lakewood.