R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I finally got to take a test ride on Tuesday. It was very interesting to CP's "Q48 to LGA" for the first time. I've already heard the announcements between Times Square and Court Square via YouTube videos. One major downturn for me was that the warning tone sound used when doors are closing, was the same distorted-sounding version heard on the newer B Division cars.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just be mindful that if you are going to wait at one station to catch it, you could potentially be waiting for up to an hour and a half. That is about as long as it takes for a full round trip, and as my luck would have it, when I went to hunt for it, I apparently JUST missed the train heading towards Flushing, and I ended up standing at 5th avenue from like, 2:30pm to just before 4pm waiting for it to come.

As per an anonymous T/O that I spoken with with the same question, he estimated that a (7) coming back from Main Street to Manhattan can take 40 minutes, so a round trip is 1 hr 20 minutes + fumigation, turnaround @ terminal, departure. So what I do is try to catch the (7) in the middle in the line. That way I cut the possible waiting time max, in 1/2 , then only 15 minutes.

Once I get the train on camera, I board to a point where I have the departure/arrival time + amount of time for terminal turnaround figured out. That cuts my wait to 1/4. Like that, start at a midpoint and work your way northbound and southbound.

If the R188 is on the wrong platform, get the R62A behind it and find a midpoint, station where you know you only have to wait 0-15 min for the train to make the terminal turnaround and return trip.

That's what I have done to get my pics.

Edited by realizm

I finally got to take a test ride on Tuesday. It was very interesting to CP's "Q48 to LGA" for the first time. I've already heard the announcements between Times Square and Court Square via YouTube videos. One major downturn for me was that the warning tone sound used when doors are closing, was the same distorted-sounding version heard on the newer B Division cars.

I agree with you.I felt the original warning tone was louder and more effective...

As per an anonymous T/O that I spoken with with the same question, he estimated that a (7) coming back from Main Street to Manhattan can take 40 minutes, so a round trip is 1 hr 20 minutes + fumigation, turnaround @ terminal, departure. So what I do is try to catch the (7) in the middle in the line. That way I cut the possible waiting time max, in 1/2 , then only 15 minutes.

Once I get the train on camera, I board to a point where I have the departure/arrival time + amount of time for terminal turnaround figured out. That cuts my wait to 1/4. Like that, start at a midpoint and work your way northbound and southbound.

If the R188 is on the wrong platform, get the R62A behind it and find a midpoint, station where you know you only have to wait 0-15 min for the train to make the terminal turnaround and return trip.

That's what I have done to get my pics.

I had pure luck... :lol:

There's a method to my madness. You have to take care of the present time to make the future happen and the other corny saying, 'all good things come to those who wait' . ;)

When I rode it I had my lunch hour(Cooper gives its HS Saturday Program students from 1pm to 2pm),So I got a quick slice of pizza & a Coke,walked over to Astor Place (6) ,took the (6) to 42nd,ran over to the (7),got a 62a to QBP,ran down the step and down the platform to the front and crossed my fingers.The rest...is history.

The test R188s run at anytime right now , they go back to Corona Yard 8-8:30

Was on it today... caught it just by luck. It was taken out of service at 8 -- when we got to Junction the conductor suddenly made the announcement that the train was going out of service at Citi Field.

@realizm -- I have never seen them fumigate the trains at the terminals. Literally it's in, drop off/pick up at the same time, and back out they go. Maybe a sweep when the train isn't the next one to leave, but during the rush they're only sitting there for a few minutes before they leave again.

Was on it today... caught it just by luck. It was taken out of service at 8 -- when we got to Junction the conductor suddenly made the announcement that the train was going out of service at Citi Field.

@realizm -- I have never seen them fumigate the trains at the terminals. Literally it's in, drop off/pick up at the same time, and back out they go. Maybe a sweep when the train isn't the next one to leave, but during the rush they're only sitting there for a few minutes before they leave again.

Yes. That is the case during the rush hours. Here's part the description from my round trip video that can be seen in this thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43486-r188-30-day-revenue-test-day-17-112513-full-roundtrip-on-7-local/):

0 - 38:00 - Times Square 42nd Street to Flushing Main Street

38:00 - 42:42 - Layover at Flushing Main Street

42:42 - 1:20:00 - Flushing Main Street to Times Square 

I didnt see prolonged waiting time either unless they are taking trains OOS to the yard. T/D's have to make sure all trains @ Main Street are moving fast entering and departing the station as capacity is limited on a heavily traveled line. Anyway, the T/O threw that SOP regarding fumigation (30 second procedure in the rulebook) and turnaround in in his estimate of a one way trip to Manhattan. Makes sense. Since it can get congested sometimes with trains entering Main Street stopping right at the bellmouth underground waiting for a line up through the switches and a clear to the terminal. (T/D's holding up the T/O on red signal to allow for a free track)

Edited by realizm

1706-1710 at Unionport.

7833-7837 at 239. So far 30 day test going pretty well. The transition is going to start to pick up in pace very soon.

Isn't that the yard for the (5) ? What are they doing over there? 

I saw that set just a few days ago. Never occurred of me to take a photo of it. 

Westchester Yard is likely out of room for holding anymore extra cars without giving something else up permanently.

Meanwhile the (7) is short... They should have just kept it over there.

(And before someone says they aren't, remember, they are still borrowing 1891-1895, and took 10 singles from the (1) ). 

1706-1710 at Unionport.

7833-7837 at 239. So far 30 day test going pretty well. The transition is going to start to pick up in pace very soon.

Yep , if this R188 passes its 30 day testing , starting January each week , a R188 will go in service on the (7) , and a R62A will be taken off the (7) and will get sent back to the (6) . Before we know it Most R62As will be off Flushing , so get your R62A (7) shots while you can. Seems like when another R142A leaves for conversions then  R62As 1706-1710 can get stored at westchester yard .

Edited by R62AR33

Well the 30 day test is almost over! Pretty soon we will we multiple R188s!

It ends this sunday and yep if it passes then in January each week a new set will enter service on the (7) . I just want to know if Westchester Yard will go back to Yellow Yard stickers or if Purple will represent the R62As on the (6) now, Considering that all (7) strip maps are off of all 5 sets of R62As on the (6) and ,when a set gets swapped back it will get its strip maps taken out before re entering service on the (6) .

Edited by R62AR33

It ends this sunday and yep if it passes then in January each week a new set will enter service on the (7) . I just want to know if Westchester Yard will go back to Yellow Yard stickers or if Purple will represent the R62As on the (6) now, Considering that all (7) strip maps are off of all 5 sets of R62As on the (6) and ,when a set gets swapped back it will get its strip maps taken out before re entering service on the (6) .

Wow this month flew.

Photos I took about 2 weeks ago:

IMG_1508_zpsfb28a56f.jpg

IMG_1602_zps55ee6a1c.jpg