R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I also love how he speaks for other workers. I won't say 100% are for or against the old cars returning, but I kinda doubt it's everyone that's 'miserable'. 

Yeah, that is some bs there.

He thinks people on the (6) are miserable now, just imagine what the taxpayers would have to say if they found out that their money went to the R188 conversion, and then they were sent back to the (6) where the CBTC capability can't even be used!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that is some bs there.

He thinks people on the (6) are miserable now, just imagine what the taxpayers would have to say if they found out that their money went to the R188 conversion, and then they were sent back to the (6) where the CBTC capability can't even be used!

Once again there are workers that are happy that R62As are back on the  (6) , because the trip is a little shorter and motorman like their breaking system more. Keep in mind the workers that are not happy about the R62As back on the  (6) , when next pick comes try will jump to the  (2) ,  (4) ,  (5) and  (7) to be with the NTTs , same as for the workers on the  (7) that aren't happy about the R188s going on the line will try and jump to the  (1) ,  (3) and  (6) to be with the R62/As . 

Exactly. I don't buy the politics bs. The 4 is a full time line and was more demanding. I don't think the R62s can't handle the 4, but since the 3 and 4 shared the same yard, it wasn't that big a deal to just shift over the R62s to the 3. Plus They have enough R62s (with a few spares) to cover the whole 3 line, so no need for a 2nd fleet to run on it.

They also ordered some extra R142As for the 4 as well, the R142s (supplements).

That's true. This is similar to when they shift the R68/68As onto the (B) so the (Q) can get the R160s, as they both are maintained/inspected at the same barn (Coney Island). And the (B) is just a weekday-only line and less demanding while the (Q) runs full time and gains more ridership.

Once again there are workers that are happy that R62As are back on the  (6) , because the trip is a little shorter and motorman like their breaking system more. Keep in mind the workers that are not happy about the R62As back on the  (6) , when next pick comes try will jump to the  (2) ,  (4) ,  (5) and  (7) to be with the NTTs , same as for the workers on the  (7) that aren't happy about the R188s going on the line will try and jump to the  (1) ,  (3) and  (6) to be with the R62/As . 

Where are you getting this info from?

Where are you getting this info from?

I got friend that had been working on both lines as a conducter , has has informed me on both lines there are crew members that are not happy with the swaps . So crew on the (6) that are not happy will try and leave to be on the (2) . (4), (5) and (7) and be with the NTTs and the crew members on the (7) that arent thrilled about the R188s will try and leave to the (1) , (3) and (6) so that they can work with the R62/As.

Edited by R62AR33

I find that a lot more hard to believe. And also saying that the (6) operators liking the 62A's brake system more is very inaccurate. Didn't RTOPRO went through this with you already? That only depends on a given situation. Aside from that, everything else is nothing but speculation. Also, please use proper grammar. The way you're spelling is...you know...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

When CBTC apparatus fails on the R143's it was realized by many of us here in an unrelated discussion that CBTC failures on the trains and even if the signal system fails forces a block signal pattern on the line either way then many R143'2 will go OOS and counts as a failure in a given day and week. Hence the MDBF. This happens alot.

Another reason why I dont like CBTC, yes it allows trains to run at closer intervals but because they call for signals to be removed and when it fails, how would the trains run safely, but technological updates these days phase out manpower

Another reason why I dont like CBTC, yes it allows trains to run at closer intervals but because they call for signals to be removed and when it fails, how would the trains run safely, but technological updates these days phase out manpower

That was only with the (L) where most of the signals were removed. I don't think the (7) is having any signals removed

But with the L it is two tracks, the 7 has 3, so i don't think it'd be a good idea to remove them.

And getting back to the name of the thread, are they leaving the trains as 11car fixed sets or would they mix and match (ie: split up a 5 and 6 car set and connect them to another respective set)? it's pretty doubtful they'll use the yard loop (have they even used it or is it just a waste of steel?) since the c cars are towards the ends of the train only.

That was only with the (L) where most of the signals were removed. I don't think the (7) is having any signals removed

You know, I've noticed there were less signals as I haven't been seeing the flashing green light to tell me CBTC is operational. This completed my thoughts.

IIRC, the only signal aspects left on the (L) are the ones coming into the stations, and the ones leaving the stations.

South of Broadway Junction, all the signals are still there. North of that point, the only signals left are the ones at interlockings...

-Myrtle-Wyckoff

-Bedford Av

-3 Av

-8 Av (still kept all its signals in the station)

In the off chance CBTC goes down, absolute block goes into effect north of the Junction and there can be only 1 train at a time between the next available signals

South of Broadway Junction, all the signals are still there. North of that point, the only signals left are the ones at interlockings...

-Myrtle-Wyckoff

-Bedford Av

-3 Av

-8 Av (still kept all its signals in the station)

In the off chance CBTC goes down, absolute block goes into effect north of the Junction and there can be only 1 train at a time between the next available signals

I wonder what the logic is behind this. Doesn't seem like there is any sort of contingency for providing even half decent service in case of a CBTC system failure.

I wonder what the logic is behind this. Doesn't seem like there is any sort of contingency for providing even half decent service in case of a CBTC system failure.

It's used because Canarsie is the only yard that washes trains in the BMT Eastern Division. So non CBTC trains have to go via the Canarsie line. Proof of this is in videos from the summer with R32s going via the Canarsie Line.

Just be mindful that if you are going to wait at one station to catch it, you could potentially be waiting for up to an hour and a half. That is about as long as it takes for a full round trip, and as my luck would have it, when I went to hunt for it, I apparently JUST missed the train heading towards Flushing, and I ended up standing at 5th avenue from like, 2:30pm to just before 4pm waiting for it to come.