R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Just a quick question/suggestion,

I noted that during rush hours, the announcements in Manhattan say "This is a Queens bound 7 train, the next stop is ..."
wouldn't it benefit riders more if the announcements were similar to the 6 line during rush hours?

E.G. "This is a Flushing-Main Street bound 7 train making express stops in Queens, the next stop is Vernon Boulevard- Jackson Avenue" 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noted that during rush hours, the announcements in Manhattan say "This is a Queens bound 7 train, the next stop is ..."

wouldn't it benefit riders more if the announcements were similar to the 6 line during rush hours?

E.G. "This is a Flushing-Main Street bound 7 train making express stops in Queens, the next stop is Vernon Boulevard- Jackson Avenue" 

Well i guess it doesn't matter because

if its local...going to Flushing and the train is in manhattan, it will say "This is a Queens bound 7 train...the next stop is..."

if its local...going to Flushing and the train is in queens, it will say "This is a Flushing-Main St bound 7 train...the next stop is..."

if its express...going to Flushing and the train is in manhattan, it will say "This is a Queens bound 7 express train...the next stop is..."

if its express...going to Flushing and the train is in queens, it will say "This is a Flushing-Main St bound 7 express train...the next stop is..."

same thing going to times square

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Caught it today at Hunterspoint around 9 going to Manhattan this morning. From a riders perspective, it was nice having a newer train. It didn't buck like the 142As but it felt (and was) smaller and more crowded, at least in the A car. It was also a bit louder going thru the Steinway tunnel at a slower speed, it'll be nice to ride it if it was faster thru the tunnel.

What would happen if the 10 Av station opens. If ever...

Nothing to worry it will be aleast 15 more years AFTER the 34 street station opens, besides Bloomberg isn't going to fund it after leaving office, so its about aleast 16 years before they deal with it. AND BY THEN THE R188 IS 35 YEARS OLD THATS LIKE THE R62 RIGHT NOW.(r142a converted sets)

Edited by Mtatransit

So the local 7 train can not be converted to an express 7 train when using R188s, or visa vera? The R62s were able to be converted back and fourth. Will this create a problem? 

With the addition of the circle/diamonds on the 62As, it is possible for a train to come in as a local and go back out as an express. The R188s are pretty much the same thing since its all digital signs. The (6) does it every day, it would come down to Brooklyn Bridge as a (6) then go right back out as a <6>

Caught it today at Hunterspoint around 9 going to Manhattan this morning. From a riders perspective, it was nice having a newer train. It didn't buck like the 142As but it felt (and was) smaller and more crowded, at least in the A car. It was also a bit louder going thru the Steinway tunnel at a slower speed, it'll be nice to ride it if it was faster thru the tunnel.

that because you rode the newest built car, wait until another year or two when its making buckled noises.

That's needlessly verbose, since there are no local stops in Manhattan. The announcement should simply include the word "local" or "express" from start to finish (or at least until it's no longer relevant - no need to make the distinction Manhattan-bound after Queensboro Plaza).

That's needlessly verbose, since there are no local stops in Manhattan. The announcement should simply include the word "local" or "express" from start to finish (or at least until it's no longer relevant - no need to make the distinction Manhattan-bound after Queensboro Plaza).

The announcements would only be going Queens bound from TS to QBP similar to how the announcements are only played when the 6 runs from Manhattan to The Bronx to further differentiate between the local and express train. When going to Manhattan, the announcements would be the same as they are now "This is a Manhattan bound 7 local/express train blah blah"

There's now a 5th set of R62As on the (6) I couldnt get a lookat the car numbers since , it was at westchester yard this afternoon couple to a work train deisel and the rollsigns had just finished changing to (6) , Should be out tomorrow or Friday

Thanks for the heads up. I failed to take note of car numbers as I was hunting R62A's on the Lex for pics on the PM rush and was therefore preoccupied with the DSLR. But I noticed that there are R62A's that will be out there on its final run it seems after 9PM. Spotted S/B going around the loop for the final run to Parkchester at 9:56PM according to the timestamp on my final pic which is posted on the forum as a set.

Edited by realizm

Thanks for the heads up. I failed to take note of car numbers as I was hunting R62A's on the Lex for pics on the PM rush and was therefore preoccupied with the DSLR. But I noticed that there are R62A's that will be out there on its final run it seems after 9PM. Spotted S/B going around the loop for the final run to Parkchester at 9:56PM according to the timestamp on my final pic which is posted on the forum as a set.

If you really want to catch any of the 4 R62As on the (6) be at 125st at 3:10 PM going to Brooklyn Bridge City Hall , Normally there are 2 sets out at that time , then at around 3:35 the other sets get taken out of the yard and make their runs. If you wan't to get them on the am then you can catch then anytime from 7:30am -1pm , they then go into the yard till around 2:45 .

Edited by R62AR33

If you really want to catch any of the 4 R62As on the (6) be at 125st at 3:10 PM going to Brooklyn Bridge City Hall , Normally there are 2 sets out at that time , then at around 3:35 the other sets get taken out of the yard and make their runs. If you wan't to get them on the am then you can catch then anytime from 7:30am -1pm , they then go into the yard till around 2:45 .

Yep thats what I did: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43401-irt-underground-take-2/?do=findComment&comment=730395

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43374-irt-underground-friday-night-into-the-weekend/

The last ones through City Hall came late evening, I was surprised.

Edited by realizm

The announcements would only be going Queens bound from TS to QBP similar to how the announcements are only played when the 6 runs from Manhattan to The Bronx to further differentiate between the local and express train. When going to Manhattan, the announcements would be the same as they are now "This is a Manhattan bound 7 local/express train blah blah"

Why not simply announce a Flushing-bound 7 express train at every stop from Times Square to Queensboro Plaza?

I operated one on my last trip really late the other night. I left out of Brooklyn Bridge around 2312 (1112PM)

Edited by elantra06

Ehh... eventually the (6) will be mostly R62As. No point in catching them now; eventually they'll be everywhere. Soon the R142A's on the (6) are going to be the tough catch.

As a daily (6) reader, I've caught the R62A a couple times. Personally, I don't mind it that much. The A/C is fine, they're extremely clean and if you ask me, they're just as reliable as the R142As. The only thing I really ask the (MTA) to do is to replace the lights... compared to the R142A, the R62A lights are extremely dim.

As a daily (6) reader, I've caught the R62A a couple times. Personally, I don't mind it that much. The A/C is fine, they're extremely clean and if you ask me, they're just as reliable as the R142As. The only thing I really ask the (MTA) to do is to replace the lights... compared to the R142A, the R62A lights are extremely dim.

Actually, the diffuser needs to be replace not the lights. Diffuser is a plastic cover use for fluorescent light fixtures. Also some of the R62A on the 7 train has their diffusers replace at some parts of the car and made it little bit more brighter.

Edited by Woodside7878