R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Although the (7) has that one and only connection to the rest of the subway via the BMT, do R62As still use that connection to go to the (6) when an R188 comes to replace it? Isn't it quite a troublesome move to get these trains to the Lexington Ave Line? Does the (MTA) have their own internal set of trailers that can fit individual cars on them and transport to Westchester by road?

So what is the exact route these trains would take during the switching?

Unless otherwise impossible, the car transfers are done via rail through a roundabout trip. From Corona Yard:

1) switch from Flushing line to Broadway line at Queensboro Plaza

2) via Broadway southbound over Manhattan Bridge

3) reverse direction via crossover near Atlantic Av-Pacific St

4) northbound back over Manhattan Bridge via 6th Avenue (north) tracks

5) continue up 6th Avenue to the Bronx and the Concourse Yard

6) to IRT Jerome Avenue line via track connection at Concourse-Mosholu Yards

7) continue back to Manhattan once again via Lexington Avenue line

8) reverse direction at one of various switches along line

9) continue northbound to final destination at Westchester Yard

Lot of steps, no? Don't worry, there won't be a test on this.

P.S. Welcome to the forums, Ethan.

Edited by Lance

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a complicated move in itself, but I'm guessing by using the track maps they bring the trains down to 57th, reverse, go up to Lex.-63rd, cross over to the (F) tracks, bring it south to 47-50th, reverse, then via the (D) and the (A) to 207th St Yard, use the connection to the (1), then south to the loops to bring it back on Lex.

Unless otherwise impossible, the car transfers are done via rail through a roundabout trip. From Corona Yard:

1) switch from Flushing line to Broadway line at Queensboro Plaza

2) via Broadway southbound over Manhattan Bridge

3) reverse direction via crossover near Atlantic Av-Pacific St

4) northbound back over Manhattan Bridge via 6th Avenue (north) tracks

5) continue up 6th Avenue to the Bronx and the Concourse Yard

6) to IRT Jerome Avenue line via track connection at Concourse-Mosholu Yards

7) continue back to Manhattan once again via Lexington Avenue line

8) reverse direction at one of various switches along line

9) continue northbound to final destination at Westchester Yard

Lot of steps, no? Don't worry, there won't be a test on this.

P.S. Welcome to the forums, Ethan.

Wow..That's alot of reversing to get cars on and off the  (7)

I caught R142A (I know its an R188 but I like calling them R142A's because its really the best way to distinguish them between the newer R188s) Testing on (7) line again, one of the car numbers were 7232. It had signs saying "R188 test train"

Ok I have a question since I am not in Queens that much: How many sets do we have out there as of now? Last count I read was 8 11 car sets. Is this new set in testing number 9?

Edited by realizm

Ok I have a question since I am not in Queens that much: How many sets do we have out there as of now? Last count I read was 8 11 car sets. Is this new set in testing number 9?

I believe the 8th R188 is still out in pitkin, only the 7th set of the R188 is currently at the corona yard. I thought at first it was 7211 finally back in service but it was 7232 being tested.

I believe the 8th R188 is still out in pitkin, only the 7th set of the R188 is currently at the corona yard. I thought at first it was 7211 finally back in service but it was 7232 being tested.

Oh thats whats going on. Thanks for bringing me back in the loop on the R188 rollout.

I caught R142A (I know its an R188 but I like calling them R142A's because its really the best way to distinguish them between the newer R188s) Testing on (7) line again, one of the car numbers were 7232. It had signs saying "R188 test train"

Based on the number sequence I would guess that set was 7231-7240+7890? I hope this means we will be seeing conversion sets in service soon

Something that got me confused for the longest...

How does the numbering sequence work out? Is it 5 car set, then 6 car set, then 5 car set again or does it start with a 6 car set, then 5 car?

Another thing? Where does the C car go? Is it ABCBA (lowest to highest)/ABBCBA (lowest to highest), or is the C car stuck somewhere else

Edit: @ Fresh Pond: Taking back initial statement, On car formation TJ Trainman is correct. Source: http://www.thejoekorner.com/cars/carsrtng.htm#r188

Car formation is as follows as TJ stated: A-B-B-B-C-A [6 Car] + A+B+B+B+A [5 car 6 + 5 = 11 car sets]

I initially thought it was originally the formation arrangement A-C-B-B-A [5 car] + A-C-B-B-B-A [6 car] but thats probably not the case anymore.

Edited by realizm

I guess I might as well.....

It works like this.

A1-C-B-B-A2+A2-B-B-B-C-A1

Yes even the 5 car set has one of the existing cars turned into a C car which has no motorized truck to compensate for the A cars, especially A1 having two motorized trucks. Don't know about A2, but in either case A1 is the intended operating ends for in service operation. 7231-7240 will likely be in service soon. 7211-7220 will not see service anytime soon as the CBTC work is very extensive when doing it for the first time. It's the main experiment train for CBTC and writing the install manual for all other cars.

It works like this.

Yes even the 5 car set has one of the existing cars turned into a C car which has no motorized truck to compensate for the A cars, especially A1 having two motorized trucks. Don't know about A2, but in either case A1 is the intended operating ends for in service operation. 7231-7240 will likely be in service soon. 7211-7220 will not see service anytime soon as the CBTC work is very extensive when doing it for the first time. It's the main experiment train for CBTC and writing the install manual for all other cars.

So the C car will be at the lower end of a 5 car set, and at the higher end of a 6 car set, right?

It works like this.

I dont understand why they do this, Wont it make the train slower? Look at the R160, That thing can take off so quickly, I feel like there just slowing down the R142A/R188.