R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

This just in 1671-1680 Corona yard to Westchester yard.

Wow! Just saw this set yesterday. Of course something told me to snap a photo and I didn't listen.

I guess that means one of the converted sets will see service soon. Also any word on 7888-7898?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R188 is literally an R142A with a CBTC kit

Dude, almost every class of car the city's subways operated has been nearly the same to one another. (That applies to cars with similar designs.) Why do people feel the need to keep pointing that out?

Evolutionary, not Revolutionary. The MTA is not making the R44/46 mistake again.

I don't know why your up in arms about Fresh Pond's comment. He was just responding to New Flyer's comment about the 188s being almost identical to the unconverted 142As.

@New Flyer: The 188s were specifically designed that way to be compatible with the converted sets. They can't really change much without compromising that compatibility.

I know that's why I call them R142As.

Don't take the idea too far the other way, either. No one calls R34s 'R-11s' because they longer are - when they were rebuilt, they were reclassified.

Despite the lack of differences, the R188 is also a separate type of train classification from the R142A.

I guess I might as well.....

It works like this.

A1-C-B-B-A2+A2-B-B-B-C-A1

Yes even the 5 car set has one of the existing cars turned into a C car which has no motorized truck to compensate for the A cars, especially A1 having two motorized trucks. Don't know about A2, but in either case A1 is the intended operating ends for in service operation. 7231-7240 will likely be in service soon. 7211-7220 will not see service anytime soon as the CBTC work is very extensive when doing it for the first time. It's the main experiment train for CBTC and writing the install manual for all other cars.

Now that I think about it, How is this possible? when the R142A were first delivered, After some of there motors were taken out because it was running to fast and they tested on the flushing line and it failed because it couldn't make it up the Steinway tube. why would they end removing a WHOLE motored truck from one of the 5 car sets? From ive heard they put most of the motors back but with limiting speed controls for the R188.

Now that I think about it, How is this possible? when the R142A were first delivered, After some of there motors were taken out because it was running to fast and they tested on the flushing line and it failed because it couldn't make it up the Steinway tube. why would they end removing a WHOLE motored truck from one of the 5 car sets? From ive heard they put most of the motors back but with limiting speed controls for the R188.

Where are you getting this information from ? Do you have a link or source(s) ? I've never heard about this history of the R142A equipment before.

Where are you getting this information from ? Do you have a link or source(s) ? I've never heard about this history of the R142A equipment before.

Im not the one to make stuff up, But I heard this from a good friend of mine whos in the mta. Im pretty sure it would be true but now that you say that im not sure. Perhaps you should ask someone about the R142As when first hit testing on the flushing line. 

I usually like letting rumors fly because as I said before I like to see how far off the reservation they will go. This one is pretty hilarious.

I also like to hear what "MTA employees" are telling others about what goes on inside the system. I have two theories on this one. The person is not really who they say they are which is concerning or it's an employee intentionally playing the telephone game which is comical and which is also why I like to sit back and see how far off the reservation the claims will go.

But this time I'll debunk some things. The R142s and 142As are the same today as they were when they were first delivered.....STRUCTURALLY, MECHANICALLY.

A cars have always had two motorized trucks and the B cars have always had only one motorized truck with the other being a trailer truck. 4 traction motors in the A car and two traction motors in the B cars each. This was by design because these cars are substantially lighter than the 62/As and therefore they need less motorized power to accelerate the train. Also the 142s are lighter because they were designed to be linked in 5 car sets as opposed to the 62/As which were all designed as single cars all containing the same components and later modified slightly to remain linked in 5 car sets. Hence the differences between the 142/A A car and B car are substantial as well. One less motorized truck on the B cars allow those cars to contain more of the muscle components of the train while the A cars hold more of the brain parts and do the thinking for the entire train.

That's all I will say to debunk that. Other than that whoever told you those things.....it's pretty funny.

Seems like Westchester Yard Might be going back to their original Yellow Yard stickers after all ..... R62As 1791-1793 don't have their purple stickers on them at all anymore and R62As 1734 and 1735 still don't have Led Lights , seems as well that Westchester is leaning to remove those as well completely.

Edited by R62AR33

Seems like Westchester Yard Might be going back to their original Yellow Yard stickers after all ..... R62As 1791-1793 don't have their purple stickers on them at all anymore and R62As 1734 and 1735 still don't have Led Lights , seems as well that Westchester is leaning to remove those as well completely.

I still don't think that's true, I take the (6) every morning and the vast majority of the 62As have kept LEDs. If they're missing it's probably for a repair. There's no reason to remove them from one of the only diamond express routes we have.

I rode an R62A 6 train today and all rollsigns, including front/back, were set to <6> Express. That made sense because the first 5 cars did not have the LED's. Maybe they are getting removed for some reason?

If the R62As go on the (6), i can't imagine how the Lex riders will feel that there is no NTT on the Pelham Train.

RFW has nothing to do with providing service to the passengers. So where if it goes, it goes..

And you don't know where the R62As are going, its still too early.

It could go on the (6) but I'm wondering if the (6) riders wouldn't mind.

I hope they don't. Hope the  (MTA) decides to do something like the  (F) with both R160s and R46s.

The 4/5/6 already has ATS. Actually ATS is a problem within it self because when it screws up the whole Lex becomes a log jam. If they put R62As back on the (6) ATS will still work.

Reduced crowing on the Lex 4/5/6 is something you will never see as long as the Second Av Subway is never built.

About ATS, what is the difference between it and CBTC? Don't they both locate trains?

I rode an R62A 6 train today and all rollsigns, including front/back, were set to <6> Express. That made sense because the first 5 cars did not have the LED's. Maybe they are getting removed for some reason?

If it was all five cars, that's the loaner set from the (1) which never had LEDs in the first place.

I think the (7) is mostly, if not all R188 today. It's running to 74 on a weekend... Meaning that about 6-8 sets would be running. There is a big chance it is completely R188. When I went out to Flushing, I saw back to back R188's leave from Main Street (only 2), had to go after that.