R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you 100% even though I am not a (6) train rider. I loved the whole idea with the (4)(5) and (6) having NTT's and now they are being taken away. 

Well back in 2002 the R142A's you now see on the (6) were originally supposed to be assigned to Flushing but they had problems in the steinway tubes and corona yard at the time was not equipped to maintain them , with those two factors is why the R62A's from the (3) and (6) went to Flushing.... had Corona been able to maintain them and had they passed done well in the steainway tubes  the (3) would of gave its R62A's up to Westchester to retire the Redbirds there and the (6) would have been completely R62A's.At least now you will have some R142A's left over on the (6). Also The (3) and (4) were supposed to be half R62 and Half R142s but thanks to bloomberg he wanted the (4) to be fully R142s that is why you see the R62s formely on the (4) on the (3) and why the (4) is R142s with a small fleet of R142A's..... Im not so sure why it would be a surprise now to see an R62A on the (5) if it did happen...in the mid 1990s and even in 2001 they appeared on the (5) from time to time .

Edited by R62AR33

The 62As were on the (5) for OPTO services and occasionally full service if needed. They werent assigned to the (5) to begin with, they were borrowed cars. Once the 142s came in, they weren't needed anymore.

For the last time, there's still gonna be SOME R142As leftover on the (6) once the dust settles since all of them aren't needed for the R188 order...

The 62As were on the (5) for OPTO services and occasionally full service if needed. They werent assigned to the (5) to begin with, they were borrowed cars. Once the 142s came in, they weren't needed anymore.

For the last time, there's still gonna be SOME R142As leftover on the (6) once the dust settles since all of them aren't needed for the R188 order...

Okay I will stop nagging. My question about the R142A's has been answered. 

Just wondering, at around 10:00 to 11:00 yesterday, was the (7) at least 90% R188? Couldn't find a single R62A on my ride to Jackson Heights.

Usually when the (7) has no service in Manhattan, the line uses all R188s since there is no rollsign available for the R62As saying it will end at Queensboro Plaza and 74 Street - Broadway.

Usually when the (7) has no service in Manhattan, the line uses all R188s since there is no rollsign available for the R62As saying it will end at Queensboro Plaza and 74 Street - Broadway.

So what happened when the (7) didn't use R188s yet and they terminated at Queensboro Plaza? Special?

7906 and 7907, along with their conversion sets are in service. I rode 7906 last Thursday on the <7> , and saw 7907 today. Interesting to note that the set with 7907 was not in regular formation; The new C-car (7907) was towards the middle and 7296 was the North motor. I didn't get to see what was connected to that set as I only saw it on the Corona Yard lead.

Pictures:

R188-00_zps5c68ebfc.jpg

R188-01_zps4571ea48.jpg

Today:

R188-02_zpsd212c811.jpg

(Sorry, taken with phone. I forgot my SD Card at home).

7906 and 7907, along with their conversion sets are in service. I rode 7906 last Thursday on the <7> , and saw 7907 today. Interesting to note that the set with 7907 was not in regular formation; The new C-car (7907) was towards the middle and 7296 was the North motor. I didn't get to see what was connected to that set as I only saw it on the Corona Yard lead.

Pictures:

R188-00_zps5c68ebfc.jpg

R188-01_zps4571ea48.jpg

Today:

R188-02_zpsd212c811.jpg

(Sorry, taken with phone. I forgot my SD Card at home).

Nice catch! Interesting since I saw 7291-7300 testing at Times Square and it seemed to be in the regular formation.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znpgaCgzJns&list=UUSGeGGbswYYxJaDmTtQDowg

To watch, you must click the YouTube icon down below since I don't allow video embeds.

Nice catch! Interesting since I saw 7291-7300 testing at Times Square and it seemed to be in the regular formation.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znpgaCgzJns&list=UUSGeGGbswYYxJaDmTtQDowg

To watch, you must click the YouTube icon down below since I don't allow video embeds.

just curious on why you don't allow them.