R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep hearing the news about all R188s except 7899 and company. Did they ever go back to service?

This has been asked several times. Unfortunately, this set has not seen service since that one weekend last January. They have had CBTC parts installed but it's unclear when they will enter service. Probably when CBTC goes online in 2016, though nobody knows when that's happening either.

I keep hearing the news about all R188s except 7899 and company. Did they ever go back to service?

From what I know, and some one can correct me on this, 7899 set has been doing a series of cbtc test runs in the yard. For now it will remain as a cbtc tester so it wont be seeing passenger service anytime soon

Edited by NYtransit

Just an update R62A's are now being ran on weekends on the (6) , I counted 9 sets of R62A's out on the (6) yesterday in the afternoon and i caught 1741-1745 coupled to a broadway set at grand central at around 10:30 pm , On weekends i usually see them out at 1 pm , so for anyone that says they can't catch a set on weekends be patient the dispatcher likes bringing them out for the afternoon and late nights. On flushing they only ran 4 sets of R62A's with everything else R188s..... that tells you that the swaps are really speeding up, get your pics while you can of R62A's on the (7) .

Edited by R62AR33

Today, from what I saw, there were no R188s on the 7. Got some good 62A pics including 2093 with the old tan floor instead of the current linoleum floor. 

There were quite a few sets running today. 7822, 7844, 7231, 7281 were what I saw. There might have been more.

On another note, it's hard to believe that it has been pretty much a year since the R188's started running. For me, it went by pretty fast as I still remember riding the new and fresh 7821 in the first few days.

Not true. I rode the (7) about an hour ago and saw two R188s back to back. Even caught one of them.

There were quite a few sets running today. 7822, 7844, 7231, 7281 were what I saw. There might have been more.

On another note, it's hard to believe that it has been pretty much a year since the R188's started running. For me, it went by pretty fast as I still remember riding the new and fresh 7821 in the first few days.

At the time I posted that, it had already been at least 4 hours since I had been on the 7. I didn't see, or ride, any new or converted R188 set. I only saw and rode R62As. They probably were sent out at rush hour, maybe they were all in a row and I missed them.

At the time I posted that, it had already been at least 4 hours since I had been on the 7. I didn't see, or ride, any new or converted R188 set. I only saw and rode R62As. They probably were sent out at rush hour, maybe they were all in a row and I missed them.

I was out at mid-day (yesterday) around 12PM to 1PM. I got a ride on 7906 and 7832 at that time. 

Edited by R188 7857

got 2046 a couple of weeks ago 

4ioup3.jpg

As a 90s kid The RFW was the best part about the Subway. it give me a nostalgia trip riding in the front seeing the rails for the first time since 2002 on the 4 train,I can't be leave it the end of an era.. well it least untill the R32's Retire.

Edited by MTARegional Bus

There's only two days left until it is one year after they ran the R188's on the (7). I hope they send out 7811, because it has been months since I've last rode that set (obviously because there are literally 10 more R188's out now other than it... :P )

7221 and company been in service for about a week now

I think you mean 7211, right? 

There's only two days left until it is one year after they ran the R188's on the (7). I hope they send out 7811, because it has been months since I've last rode that set (obviously because there are literally 10 more R188's out now other than it... :P )

I think you mean 7211, right?

Yeah that...wasn't really paying attention while typing

Well, it was a year ago today that 7811-7821 was pretty much the hype for a month or so. Here's the threads that were posted that day of the then "new" R188's.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forum/32-subway-photos-videos/page-24?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

It's hard to believe a year has past already!