R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't those middle tracks end just past the station, for the train to have been coming in from the distance, and at that speed? That's what the track maps still show. Did they extend them recently or something?

Track test track (Y3) runs from s/o Dyre Ave to s/o Morris Park. The test area begins at the north end of Baychester and the train runs down toward the interlocking area at the south end of the Morris Park station which is located beyond the slight curve seen at the end of the video. That's why the train could reach the speed it did,allowing for it to slow down while passing Pelham Parkway station as per rule. BTW it's the n/b middle track (Y4) that ends s/o Pelham Parkway and picks up again north of Baychester

I'm glad they kept the propulsion sound the same :D

Nice to see the IRT get new cars, even if its only one new car in a train set.

I was pretty young when the 142/As were new in the system so I couldn't truly enjoy it like I did when the 160s were new.

There will be completely new R188s as well. The base order includes 2 new trains as well as the 1 converted train.

Wait, were those cars brand new R188s or former R142s? I forgot where the 199-2001 R142 numbers end (somewhere in the low 7200s).

Just the 2nd car 7899 is brand new.

Im pretty sure that's the whole point of CBTC anyway...

Yes, nothing to do with car fleet assignments but the age of the signalling system. I also think its better that with CBTC, there would be no more (7)'s that run limit to/from 111th Street or Mets-Willets Point except when they want to send them back home to the Corona yard for regular maintenance and inspection.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Track test track (Y3) runs from s/o Dyre Ave to s/o Morris Park. The test area begins at the north end of Baychester and the train runs down toward the interlocking area at the south end of the Morris Park station which is located beyond the slight curve seen at the end of the video. That's why the train could reach the speed it did,allowing for it to slow down while passing Pelham Parkway station as per rule. BTW it's the n/b middle track (Y4) that ends s/o Pelham Parkway and picks up again north of Baychester

According to this link provided before somewhere (http://b24blog.blogs...-842-miles.html), it looks as if it were extended.

Cool map! 1.gif I always wanted to do one like that; perhaps joining together the Peter Dougherty online color maps, which are in sections. Just never got around to all that work.

He needs to update that, then, because that's what I was looking at and saw that the two tracks still ended at Pelham Pkwy.

So now they could actually have one way express service, and it's basically like the Sea Beach line.

Cool map! 1.gif I always wanted to do one like that; perhaps joining together the Peter Dougherty online color maps, which are in sections. Just never got around to all that work.

He needs to update that, then, because that's what I was looking at and saw that the two tracks still ended at Pelham Pkwy.

So now they could actually have one way express service, and it's basically like the Sea Beach line.

I've operated road trains down that track due to blockages on Y1 track, mudslides and fallen trees come to mind. Just north of Baychester you lose signal protection to s/o Morris Park. There's an automatic just s/o Pelham Parkway where you have to stop and operate a release lever. Looking at the video I think the stop arm was probably hooked down during the test. Last I heard the track belongs to Car Equipment,not RTO, so you need permission from RCC to operate a road train on it due to lack of signal protection or a G.O. must be in effect.

So that's the "circle K" I heard about up there? Or is there one on the local tracks as well?

(The only other one remaining is at 179th lower relay tracks).

Wonder if they will fully signal it when the signals are redone on the line.

Edited by Eric B

I know what a circle K is (I better, though again, I don't run across them anymore. Could if I get sent to 179th). What I was asking was that the last remaining one in the A div. When someone told me here was still one up there; I assumed it was ont he local track, not knowing the express was extended.

Why they are testing this train on the Dyre line and not the middle track on the (7) line?

The (7) doesn't have off peak express service anymore so it can't be that, does the 188 test run even "test" during rush hour?

Either way its cool to see the 142A's up in a place they don't normally go.

In my opinion, the Dyre line is the perfect location for the testing new trains, so the testing can go forward without interference. Just like the R160s testing on Sea Beach in 2005-06. The same way.

Edited by NovaCSW8030

The Flushing Middle track gets used 24/7. They can't give the test train exclusive access to it. The middle track between E180 and Gun Hill WPR is given exclusive access to the test trains between 1045-1400 on days that they want to use it, per GO (mostly because the Dyre line is level and the WPR line is steep and also because the WPR line has a regular signal system), but most of the testing is being done on the Dyre line due to the signaling system which can be deactivated, so that it can go back and forth as it pleases.

I know what a circle K is (I better, though again, I don't run across them anymore. Could if I get sent to 179th). What I was asking was that the last remaining one in the A div. When someone told me here was still one up there; I assumed it was ont he local track, not knowing the express was extended.

Go work the middle track on the Flushing line and you'll see plenty of KOSHER signals.

Who knows the MTA might R62A swap and mix them with the 4,5,6 but we are going to have to wait and see. If they do it will sure feel like the old days if they did the same with the Redbirds. Maybe they might swap with the 5 and give the R142's to the 6 (work better, and westchester can have the same equipment) because the 5 doesn't operate late nights so it might help save the cars year span. I think my plan is better.

I was walking on Roosevelt near woodside underneath the 7 train tracks about 20 minutes ago and I'm pretty certain either a r142/r142a/or r188 was going flushing bound (~ 11:15 PM). I didn't get a good look but after hearing the peculiar sound all the NTTs make, I looked up and eventually saw the red stripes that the end cars of those trains have.

I'm wondering if anyone had to chance to check if the r188 (r142a converted) set is at Corona Yard yet.

Who knows the MTA might R62A swap and mix them with the 4,5,6 but we are going to have to wait and see. If they do it will sure feel like the old days if they did the same with the Redbirds. Maybe they might swap with the 5 and give the R142's to the 6 (work better, and westchester can have the same equipment) because the 5 doesn't operate late nights so it might help save the cars year span. I think my plan is better.

No, and it's already been talked to death about. How about waiting till more arrives before starting this never ending speculating that plagued the other pages in this thread?

Why does everyone have to spam this entire thread with their assumptions on where the R62As will go?? This thread isn't about that. And it's pretty clear where the cars will go (Snowblock). We've had enough of this.. And, no offence, nobody asked for your plan because, ultimately, it doesn't matter at all.

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave