Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jacob said:

Wait but My best friend told me that the R160s will be transfered to the Jamaica yard and IT WILL BE IN THAT YARD FOREVER he didn't Proved it but at the end of CBTC he told me it'll be extremely rare for an (R) train use NTTs

Please stop spreading false information 

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Bill, They been doing this bullshit for over 4 decades. We all know the R32's need to go but at the sametime i'm not going to keep paying more for shit service. (MTA) knew what they have been doing as well as the state. if they really wanted the cars gone, Albany should have forked over more money or (MTA) should have just paid for more R179 cars.

It's 2020, They need to get their act together. no one wants to be late for work because the (MTA) wants to take older cars out of service when the other new ones aren't in service yet. The R46's are 45 years old and are becoming less reliable. there's no way they can manage to do this without something getting cut.

These idiots want to push congestion pricing but want to make cuts and reduce the fleet.

and Im not trying to be rude but no one at NYCT is professional, the Most PROFESSIONAL man we ever had in NYCT was chased out due to the moron in albany with his big ego.

and this is not me saying this as a railfan, Im saying this as a paying commuter. I want better and more service, Not less service. I can understand GO's, emergency re routes and etc. but what they are doing is just pure stupidity

You want more R179 cars?  You want more of these lemons in which the last car came in, what, 3-4 years late?  And they're a bunch of shop queens!  God help me!

You complain about "paying more".  The fare has been $2.75 for quite awhile.  Every 2 years fares rise, one cycle the MetroCard discount fare, and one cycle the basic fare.  That basic fare has been compared to a slice of pizza.  IDK where I can get a slice of pizza for that price anymore.  But knowing you, you would point to those horrid .99 cent slices!  The fares here are a bargain and do not cover the total cost of your ride.  Nobody is forcing you to pay for shit service, there are many other ways to travel.  Driving your own car to work + parking + tolls if you work in the CBD is much more than that.  Take a cab/Uber/Lyft?  That costs more than $2.75.  If anything, especially with the quick scanning OMNI fare payment system coming out, we should be charging fares based on distance traveled.  It is very unfair for someone to be able to travel from Washington Heights to the beach in Rockaway for $2.75 yet be charged the same $2.75 to go from Bedford Ave. to Union Sq.   On top of that, you have free transfers to/from a bus if needed.  By putting up 10' barricades at every fare control turnstile (they do this at European cities), we can lick fare evasion in the bud (again scan when leaving), people will just have to get used to it.  I've seen pics of these barricades overseas.  Buses: plenty of fare evasion, people not paying enough in coins, go to Staten Island and you'll really see what's going on.  They get free SIR service for the most part, and free ferry service.  So now they expect free bus service too!  Maybe you wouldn't be paying for shit service if they would pay their fair share.  How do we stop this as well as riders not paying for SBS buses?  More fare inspectors are needed.  Their salaries will be paid back many times over.  More enforcement on SBS buses.  The fare inspector stands at the fare box enforcing the fare on non SBS buses.  No fare, no ride.  Period.  A separate transit police dept. should be re-established.  This is how you won't have to pay as much for your fare.

If one can't afford the fare, too bad.  Do you go to the supermarket, deli or bodega and tell them "I'm not paying because I can't afford it?"  Of course not.

The R46's will be fine till the R211's come in.  They are not as old as the R32's and CI is a great yard to take care of them, much better than Jamaica.  Pitkin knows their R46's too.  Sure any car assigned to any yard can fail, possibly bringing down an entire train.  But a subway car is a complicated machine and they do know how to fix them.  Don't worry about the R46's.  Let the PROFESSIONALS at CIYD worry about them!  As I said in the past, fewer cars temporarily on the roster has nothing to do with the paying passenger.  They have a lower spare factor of a train or 2 at each yard with fewer cars sitting in the yard awaiting repairs.  You are having a very hard time understanding that concept.

The decision makers at NYCT are not the idiots who are pushing congestion pricing.  It's the MTA (who are also MN and LIRR) as well as Cuomo who are pushing it.  If you feel somebody at NYCT is indeed pushing it, they are parroting the company line.  That goes for "yesterday" and today.

There are plenty of professionals at NYCT.  I take your comment as a slap in the face to me and all the good professionals I worked with over my time there.  As is human nature, you remember the slackers but you forget about the good people.  The one professional who you cite was there for only 2 years and he thrived because he listened to the professionals under him unlike other TA Presidents.  IDK who you are (but I do have a suspicion) how old you are, etc.  But I think you should take an entrance Civil Service test, take as many promotions as you can and change the culture. This way you can take Byfords' place as the only professional.

It is so easy to criticize but harder to make change.  By your statement you proved that the job is a thankless one.  Are my feelings hurt?  No way because I know how people think.  Everybody feels that THEIR transit system is the worst in the country.  What about Philly with all those MFL cars out of service for structural issues?  What about Boston who just took the new Orange line cars out of service for the THIRD TIME?  I think our PROFESSIONALS do a damn good job in SAFELY transporting the most people in the country on a daily basis, and repairing the cars.  Those "downtown" who you despise are told what to do by their bosses, doing stuff what the budget guides them by.  They ARE PROFESSIONALS because somehow they make good lemonade out of sour lemons.  

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

59 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You want more R179 cars?  You want more of these lemons in which the last car came in, what, 3-4 years late?  And they're a bunch of shop queens!  God help me!

You complain about "paying more".  The fare has been $2.75 for quite awhile.  Every 2 years fares rise, one cycle the MetroCard discount fare, and one cycle the basic fare.  That basic fare has been compared to a slice of pizza.  IDK where I can get a slice of pizza for that price anymore.  But knowing you, you would point to those horrid .99 cent slices!  The fares here are a bargain and do not cover the total cost of your ride.  Nobody is forcing you to pay for shit service, there are many other ways to travel.  Driving your own car to work + parking + tolls if you work in the CBD is much more than that.  Take a cab/Uber/Lyft?  That costs more than $2.75.  If anything, especially with the quick scanning OMNI fare payment system coming out, we should be charging fares based on distance traveled.  It is very unfair for someone to be able to travel from Washington Heights to the beach in Rockaway for $2.75 yet be charged the same $2.75 to go from Bedford Ave. to Union Sq.   On top of that, you have free transfers to/from a bus if needed.  By putting up 10' barricades at every fare control turnstile (they do this at European cities), we can lick fare evasion in the bud (again scan when leaving), people will just have to get used to it.  I've seen pics of these barricades overseas.  Buses: plenty of fare evasion, people not paying enough in coins, go to Staten Island and you'll really see what's going on.  They get free SIR service for the most part, and free ferry service.  So now they expect free bus service too!  Maybe you wouldn't be paying for shit service if they would pay their fair share.  How do we stop this as well as riders not paying for SBS buses?  More fare inspectors are needed.  Their salaries will be paid back many times over.  More enforcement on SBS buses.  The fare inspector stands at the fare box enforcing the fare on non SBS buses.  No fare, no ride.  Period.  A separate transit police dept. should be re-established.  This is how you won't have to pay as much for your fare.

If one can't afford the fare, too bad.  Do you go to the supermarket, deli or bodega and tell them "I'm not paying because I can't afford it?"  Of course not.

The R46's will be fine till the R211's come in.  They are not as old as the R32's and CI is a great yard to take care of them, much better than Jamaica.  Pitkin knows their R46's too.  Sure any car assigned to any yard can fail, possibly bringing down an entire train.  But a subway car is a complicated machine and they do know how to fix them.  Don't worry about the R46's.  Let the PROFESSIONALS at CIYD worry about them!  As I said in the past, fewer cars temporarily on the roster has nothing to do with the paying passenger.  They have a lower spare factor of a train or 2 at each yard with fewer cars sitting in the yard awaiting repairs.  You are having a very hard time understanding that concept.

The decision makers at NYCT are not the idiots who are pushing congestion pricing.  It's the MTA (who are also MN and LIRR) as well as Cuomo who are pushing it.  If you feel somebody at NYCT is indeed pushing it, they are parroting the company line.  That goes for "yesterday" and today.

There are plenty of professionals at NYCT.  I take your comment as a slap in the face to me and all the good professionals I worked with over my time there.  As is human nature, you remember the slackers but you forget about the good people.  The one professional who you cite was there for only 2 years and he thrived because he listened to the professionals under him unlike other TA Presidents.  IDK who you are (but I do have a suspicion) how old you are, etc.  But I think you should take an entrance Civil Service test, take as many promotions as you can and change the culture. This way you can take Byfords' place as the only professional.

It is so easy to criticize but harder to make change.  By your statement you proved that the job is a thankless one.  Are my feelings hurt?  No way because I know how people think.  Everybody feels that THEIR transit system is the worst in the country.  What about Philly with all those MFL cars out of service for structural issues?  What about Boston who just took the new Orange line cars out of service for the THIRD TIME?  I think our PROFESSIONALS do a damn good job in SAFELY transporting the most people in the country on a daily basis, and repairing the cars.  Those "downtown" who you despise are told what to do by their bosses, doing stuff what the budget guides them by.  They ARE PROFESSIONALS because somehow they make good lemonade out of sour lemons.  

I can afford the fare, even if it goes up I'll still be able to afford it. All I'm saying is I would like to see better service instead of reduced service in spite of retiring cars when their replacements aren't here yet and having unreliable R179's.

As for the professionals part I'm mainly talking about the higher ups. Not the workers. If I offended you I apologize.

But at the end of the day I haven't seen any good decision made by NYCT higher ups and MTA in a long time. 

It's just my opinion, too many people are moving into the city and there's not enough service to keep up with the demand.

As for the congestion pricing, I was talking about the (MTA)

21 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I can afford the fare, even if it goes up I'll still be able to afford it. All I'm saying is I would like to see better service instead of reduced service in spite of retiring cars when their replacements aren't here yet and having unreliable R179's.

As for the professionals part I'm mainly talking about the higher ups. Not the workers. If I offended you I apologize.

But at the end of the day I haven't seen any good decision made by NYCT higher ups and MTA in a long time. 

It's just my opinion, too many people are moving into the city and there's not enough service to keep up with the demand.

As for the congestion pricing, I was talking about the (MTA)

Better service comes with the budget increasing.  Either you raise fares (+ getting the fare beaters to start paying) or get more funding from the city/state/feds. 

You are not getting reduced service.  As I've said countless times they will get by with fewer spares.  Have you ever passed by any yard and see all the cars in the rush out of service? 

"Good decisions" and good funding/everybody paying their way go hand in hand.  I can't tell you how many skinny passengers with a skinny friend swipe a MetroCard once but both go thru "the wheel" together.  Now we lost a fare, now we lost funding for improvements.  They may feel "big deal, one fare", but with all the people doing that, it adds up.

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

You Mean as in Upper management im assuming...

2 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You caught that,  too?  A cold slap in the face of every employee who has been in the front lines over the years.  Carry on. 

That's always who I'm talking about whenever I criticize the MTA. The folks at the top are the ones making the decisions, so if things screw up, I always place the blame squarely on upper management.

When I said no one at NYCT isn't professionals, that is directed at the higher ups, not the workers. Why would I trash on the workers who have no power to make the decisions that the upper management makes. 

When I said the stuff about the congestion pricing, that is directed at the (MTA) and the state not the workers.

Y'all are taking this way outta context 

I might have worded it wrong due to rushing but it's the higher ups that I'm speaking of

18 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

How many R46s had been sent to Jamaica from Pitkin when the R179s filled up slots on the (A)?

4 sets 5842-5877 and prior to that they lost 5822-5841 (In 2016) to jamaica

Edited by R32 3838

31 minutes ago, VIP said:

How about go out there and look for yourself? What’s the difference they’re gonna be out of Jamaica yard by next week. 

If you don’t have an answer to someone’s question, how about staying silent? Whatever has been causing you to be snippy towards others in the thread isn’t our faults. Carry on.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

4 sets 5842-5877 and prior to that they lost 5822-5841 (In 2016) to jamaica

I asked this because I’m wondering if some may need to go back to Pitkin to take the place of the R32s and account for the lower spare-factor (should ALL the R32s truly be retired this year)

Edited by darkstar8983

the R46s from Jamaica are on extremely borrowed time. only about 36-40 cars left (meaning about 4.4 to 5 sets) and about three were out on the (R) during the PM rush today. i think by next week (if not, then the following week) is when the 46s will be out of jamaica. 

as for the 32s i do somewhat believe that they will retire by the end of the month, though anything can happen because so far swaps between ENY, 207, Conc, and CI to facilitate this retirement have not occurred yet. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

58 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

the R46s from Jamaica are on extremely borrowed time. only about 36-40 cars left (meaning about 4.4 to 5 sets) and about three were out on the (R) during the PM rush today. i think by next week (if not, then the following week) is when the 46s will be out of jamaica.

I mean all it takes is 2 put ins and 2 drops outs at 59th in the morning and its all done Friday... Whether they go through with it is another story.

Edited by Around the Horn