Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

the R46s from Jamaica are on extremely borrowed time. only about 36-40 cars left (meaning about 4.4 to 5 sets) and about three were out on the (R) during the PM rush today. i think by next week (if not, then the following week) is when the 46s will be out of jamaica. 

as for the 32s i do somewhat believe that they will retire by the end of the month, though anything can happen because so far swaps between ENY, 207, Conc, and CI to facilitate this retirement have not occurred yet. 

I sure hope they don’t retire the R32s at the end of the month. We don’t need to risk having yet another B-Division car shortage just because Cuomo and his lackeys want to show that they’re all about “Out with the old and in with the new,” an attitude that has gotten this City and State in trouble on many occasions.

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I mean all it takes is 2 put ins and 2 drops outs at 59th in the morning and its all done Friday... Whether they go through with it is another story.

Yep, it’s definitely going to feel weird not seeing any R46s on the Queens Blvd line, but I guess that day is coming up fast. 

18 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You complain about "paying more".  The fare has been $2.75 for quite awhile.  Every 2 years fares rise, one cycle the MetroCard discount fare, and one cycle the basic fare.  That basic fare has been compared to a slice of pizza.  IDK where I can get a slice of pizza for that price anymore.  But knowing you, you would point to those horrid .99 cent slices!  

I don't know where you get your slices, but them 99 cent slices are way better than them 3 dollars, filled with tomato sauce slices. 

27 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I sure hope they don’t retire the R32s at the end of the month. We don’t need to risk having yet another B-Division car shortage just because Cuomo and his lackeys want to show that they’re all about “Out with the old and in with the new,” an attitude that has gotten this City and State in trouble on many occasions.

Yep, it’s definitely going to feel weird not seeing any R46s on the Queens Blvd line, but I guess that day is coming up fast. 

The R32s' retirement is coming soon.

Edited by Union Tpke

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

How do we even know that Cuomo is the main force behind the R32s retiring? I googled "Governor Cuomo R32" and found nothing saying such. I know he said a few YEARS ago that the R32s belong in a museum or something along those lines as a joke but I can't recall him outright saying or pushing the MTA to retire the 32s. Maybe NYCT management just wants the cars gone, 32s have a low MDBF and the A/C always breaks down during the summer time. Its been explained elsewhere in this thread that with some shuffling the cars around the B div the shortage wouldn't be that big of a issue.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

How do we even know that Cuomo is the main force behind the R32s retiring? I googled "Governor Cuomo R32" and found nothing saying such. I know he said a few YEARS ago that the R32s belong in a museum or something along those lines as a joke but I can't recall him outright saying or pushing the MTA to retire the 32s. Maybe NYCT management just wants the cars gone, 32s have a low MDBF and the A/C always breaks down during the summer time. Its been explained elsewhere in this thread that with some shuffling the cars around the B div the shortage wouldn't be that big of a issue.

Ok, maybe Cuomo isn’t personally calling for them to be retired ASAP, but someone high up in NYCT or MTA management would be if they’re going to be retired well before the first few R211 trains are in service. I thought I recalled seeing various posts in the R42 last run thread, something about MTA management pushing for the R32s to be retired this spring (including the piece from NY 1 News with the reporter on board the R42’s last run). In any case, I did find the post explaining about shuffling the cars to make up for the loss of the 32s...

On 3/4/2020 at 7:55 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Some of you guys make it sound like it's the end of the world that the R32's will probably be all retired before the R211's come in, and that only Pitkin and 207 have to make up the shortage which (naturally) they can't do on their own.

A couple of years ago when the Q started going to 96th St and the W came back meaning more cars would be required for service, transit managed by shifting some cars around and having a lower spare factor in each yard.  The same can easily be done here.

It's very simple to be accomplished.  Keep in mind that the division of car equipment will have it figured out as to the number of cars having to be transferred.  This formula is done with the assumption that the R46/R160 swap between Jamaica and CI has been completed.

ENYD can shift some R179's to 207 for C service.  CIYD can shift some R46's to Pitkin for A and C service.  CCYD can send 8 cars to CIYD to make up for an R46, as well as Jamaica sending some R160's back to CI.  With all yards contributing, each yard will get by with 1 or 2 less trains.  That means get them in and out of the barn a bit quicker, but more importantly having fewer cars sitting in the yards waiting to get into the barn which can't be used because of their defects. 

Finally on another topic: There are a lot of trolls "contributing" to this thread.  PLEASE DO NOT FEED THESE TROLLS, JUST IGNORE THEM.

Bill, I’ll admit I’m glad to read there is a way to make service without the R32s. It sounds like quite a lot of car shuffling, but as long as it works, I’m fine with it. And if it means getting cars in and out of the barn quicker, even better. It’s true that some of us get a little high strung over what we see on here and other transit forums. I don’t disagree that the R32s are 55-56 years old now (well, the car bodies are; most of the rest of their parts are much newer than that, between their 1988-90 GOH and numerous SMS since then) and their A/C units consistently failing in the summertime is a problem that the authority would like to do without. But after the sudden retirement of the R44s, we did wind up with a car shortage. The current (M) service partially mitigated that, but we still needed more cars. Enter the R179s...

On 3/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

You want more R179 cars?  You want more of these lemons in which the last car came in, what, 3-4 years late?  And they're a bunch of shop queens!  God help me![/i]

The R46's will be fine till the R211's come in.  They are not as old as the R32's and CI is a great yard to take care of them, much better than Jamaica.  Pitkin knows their R46's too.  Sure any car assigned to any yard can fail, possibly bringing down an entire train.  But a subway car is a complicated machine and they do know how to fix them.  Don't worry about the R46's.  Let the PROFESSIONALS at CIYD worry about them!  As I said in the past, fewer cars temporarily on the roster has nothing to do with the paying passenger.  They have a lower spare factor of a train or 2 at each yard with fewer cars sitting in the yard awaiting repairs.  You are having a very hard time understanding that concept.

But see, that’s exactly it. The R179s have had so much trouble. What if we have another incident that forces the entire R179 fleet out of service? At least they were able to press the R42s back into service last time this happened (which wasn’t long ago) and they were able to get the R179s back in service relatively quickly. But if there are still at least some R32s kept around, we can be sure they’ll be prepared if God forbid, the R179s need to be ordered out of service again. But we’ll see, I guess. 

It amazes me that so many people believe that the R211 fleet is going to be better than the R179 fleet. Newer technology doesn't always work better than the tried and true designs. There is no guarantee that the newer fleet will perform better although it might arrive in a more timely manner. The possible spare factor is a question for Car Equipment though. Just my opinion.  Carry on. 

the only issue is that the (C) is running mixed length trains which is gonna cause problems and confusion, This is exactly why they took the R46's off the (C) in the first place. IMO they should just make the (C) 100% R179's and send 4-6 sets of R32's to ENY on standby while ENY could just use the R143's/160's spares to make up for the (Z) .

Had they just kept the R32's in the East (40-50 cars) they wouldn't have this problem.

i'm a regular rider on the brighton line, i don't really have a problem with the R46's running on the default_75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q_svg.png, it's pretty nostalgic and plus, i honestly prefer the dim lighting, and the fact that they just sound quite a bit quieter than the R160's, because, lets be honest, the propulsion on the R160 is blatantly annoying

(it's easier to take a quick nap on the ride)

however it feels odd but whatever

1 hour ago, verygary said:

i'm a regular rider on the brighton line, i don't really have a problem with the R46's running on the default_75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q_svg.png, it's pretty nostalgic and plus, i honestly prefer the dim lighting, and the fact that they just sound quite a bit quieter than the R160's, because, lets be honest, the propulsion on the R160 is blatantly annoying

(it's easier to take a quick nap on the ride)

however it feels odd but whatever

You are probably used to hearing the Siemens propulsion. Alstom sounds better IMO.

18 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

You are probably used to hearing the Siemens propulsion. Alstom sounds better IMO.

Nah, Siemens sounds better IMO lol, but really, as a daily Brighton rider as well, I'd say the change to R46s is almost seamless. Riders are pretty much used to it by now, and ride times aren't affected so there's no reason to fuss over it. At this point, the (Q) fleet is almost a flip of a coin (almost 50/50 with a small third party of R68s), R46s on one end, and R160s on the other.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, trainfan22 said:

Found this on Reddit

uKlmnaJ.png

I think it's safe to say the R32s are retiring in the spring and NOT when the R211s arrive. If the 32s were staying I think they would have stopped retiring cars around the 100-110 mark.

Also there's an R46 (R) about to arrive at Bay Ridge-95th street if anybody is hunting one..

I was down this week with computer troubles (as in multiple!)  I think all these fleet changes are boobling the mother drives:P!

That R-32 list looks right for March 3 but with 82 left not 80.  Need a minimum of seven 10- or nine 8-car trains (or a combination thereof) to support the operating schedule otherwise you technically get into equipment "shortage" territory, but the R-32s keep getting sidelined as long as they continue to fail, which is constantly.  Looks like one pair has been reactivated, could be for that red line.

Tough call.

Did anyone else learn that NYCT contractor used to truck the "scrap" cars to Jersey went belly up around February 21.

Disposition was "on hold" last week until someone else shows up or the former contractor can be reorganized and/or re-opened.  (Oops??):huh:

10 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

That R-32 list looks right for March 3 but with 82 left not 80.  Need a minimum of seven 10- or nine 8-car trains (or a combination thereof) to support the operating schedule otherwise you technically get into equipment "shortage" territory, but the R-32s keep getting sidelined as long as they continue to fail, which is constantly.  Looks like one pair has been reactivated, could be for that red line.

what is the number of that reactivated pair? 

11 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Did anyone else learn that NYCT contractor used to truck the "scrap" cars to Jersey went belly up around February 21.

Disposition was "on hold" last week until someone else shows up or the former contractor can be reorganized and/or re-opened.  (Oops??):huh:

Silk Road filed for bankruptcy??? How are new train cars being delivered? LOL

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 8:43 AM, NBTA said:

I don't know where you get your slices, but them 99 cent slices are way better than them 3 dollars, filled with tomato sauce slices. 

Enjoy.

But some people subscribe to the theory "The cheaper it is, the better it tastes".

The dough on those 99 cent slices is horrible.

Carry on!