ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

14 hours ago, Chase101 said:

Yeah man, I definitely did. Didnt have any luck getting through to her. I'll try her again...On another note, there was a gentleman that posted to this forum not so long ago. I've forgotten the name, but he explained; he noticed that his number was being skipped and that Vargas told him to expect a letter in the mail....Does anyone remember or has anyone heard anything further in his case? 

I believe the guy you’re speaking of received a 3n1 rule letter. Which is really not good news. Invitations to medicals usually come in the form of a phone call or email. If your paperwork is in order and your history (truthfully) and drug test is clean then you should be getting the invite soon. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

112x here.. didn't take the job because I'm trying to become a firefighter in nov, so good luck to the person that gets the spot that I passed up. It's  nice to see that they've passed my number for medicals so I know that if anything crazy happens I'll be next up if I had to put my name back on the list. 

32 minutes ago, TAI STUNNER said:

I believe the guy you’re speaking of received a 3n1 rule letter. Which is really not good news. Invitations to medicals usually come in the form of a phone call or email. If your paperwork is in order and your history (truthfully) and drug test is clean then you should be getting the invite soon. 

I've never quite understood that rule as it relates to this exam. 

I work for a city agency and when they recently called from the clerical list, that rule applied because they had to interview 3 and choose 1 of those 3.

For this list tho, we aren't being interviewed. It's just did u pass? Is your paperwork in order? Did u pass the drug test? Did u pass medical? 

I don't understand how someone can randomly be rejected if all of their stuff is in order. That's kind of f**ked up and has to be illegal. If i paid the exam fee just like u and passed just like u and neither of us had anything that would disqualify us, why would I just get dropped like that while u get to go on? 

I'm not arguing I'm just saying I don't understand it. 

Plus, in typical lists, even if the other 2 of the 3 do not get hired, they go back on the list for other agencies to consider them. They don't get disqualified just because an agency didn't hire them. So I don't understand how that rule applies here. 

Edited by acabral136

37 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

I work for a city agency and when they recently called from the clerical list, that rule applied because they had to interview 3 and choose 1 of those 3.

For this list tho, we aren't being interviewed. It's just did u pass? Is your paperwork in order? Did u pass the drug test? Did u pass medical? 

I don't understand how someone can randomly be rejected if all of their stuff is in order. That's kind of f**ked up and has to be illegal. If i paid the exam fee just like u and passed just like u and neither of us had anything that would disqualify us, why would I just get dropped like that while u get to go on? 

Plus, in typical lists, even if the other 2 of the 3 do not get hired, they go back on the list for other agencies to consider them. They don't get disqualified just because an agency didn't hire them. So I don't understand how that rule applies here. 

Yeah man I'm definitely not liking the sound of it. The anticipation I put on this all this time. Everything is fine to my knowledge, paperwork and drug test. The fact that someone has even turned down...these are numbers 15 plus pass me🤔...every exam I've. Een considered for and this would be the one that catches a 3 n 1 rule...I never even knew of it until days ago, I've always gotten the email or call. 

50 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Man, now you have me wondering. I never knew of the 3:1 thing. But on my 2nd PE they took 3 of us in an “interview room” where our paperwork was reviewed by Igor? And a few questions were asked. I’m hoping that’s not the same 3:1 thing.

21 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Man, now you have me wondering. I never knew of the 3:1 thing. But on my 2nd PE they took 3 of us in an “interview room” where our paperwork was reviewed by Igor? And a few questions were asked. I’m hoping that’s not the same 3:1 thing.

yep that's it, 3 guys 1 room

25 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

I don't think so. 

It's actually called the 1 in 3 rule and it only means that if an agency is hiring from a list, they don't have to select in order. They have to call the top 3 and can pick any one of those 3,even if the other 2 scored higher.

I think it applies more to lists that multiple agencies call from. For example if Dep of health is hiring from the mother vehicle operator list, they can hire any 1 in the top 3, but those other 2 can be hired by any other agency. They don't get disqualified because DOH didn't choose one of them. 

Train operators only get hired by the mta, so i really don't see how the same rule applies here. I would like to see confirmation on this rule actually being used by the MTA because I don't think it makes sense. Of course I may be very wrong. 

Has anybody actually received a latter disqualifying them because of this rule? 

32 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

I’m right there with you in regards to the confusion. I work for the city as well and thought the same thing. However, when I spoke to a friend of mine who works in recruitment for another city agency she broke down the city’s shady business.

To my knowledge 3n1 It is usually for hiring pools and promotions. Although, some agencies use this to reject people “by the book.” I highly doubt it’s random when the use this rule....

its unfortunate, however, some people can fight it if they know the right avenues.....

50 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

just got sworn in. Question should I start studying all the signals now in the rule book?

I've seen people say that chapter 1 and 2 should be studied asap. I haven't gotten to the signals yet because I know some more guidance via the instructors will be needed to really understand and absorb them. I will still take a look though. 

Today is my last day at my current job. Then 5 days off and a new beginning. Good luck to everyone starting on Monday. 

Edited by acabral136

30 minutes ago, adam223 said:

how long was the medical?

From what I read it depends on how many show up and whether you gotta wait in line with people doing PE, but when I go in on Monday, I'm going to try and show up at 6AM to beat everybody else.

Edited by Jericho

49 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

just got sworn in. Question should I start studying all the signals now in the rule book?

Don’t study signals yet, wait for your instructors as they may change the wording to make it simpler.

I would suggest that you relax and enjoy life for a bit before starting schoolcar.

If you feel like you MUST study; rule book Ch 1 & 2.

If you can find it - learn all 6 points of Restricted Speed Extreme Caution, and learn the radio codes (12-1, 12-2, etc). That’ll give you a decent head start, but you won’t really start digging into the material until you meet your instructors.

Good luck! If you pick the B Division, I may end up posting you later on when you post on the road.

21 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Don’t study signals yet, wait for your instructors as they may change the wording to make it simpler.

I would suggest that you relax and enjoy life for a bit before starting schoolcar.

If you can find it - learn all 6 points of Restricted Speed Extreme Caution, and learn the radio codes (12-1, 12-2, etc). That’ll give you a decent head start, but you won’t really start digging into the material until you meet your instructors.

Good luck! If you pick the B Division, I may end up posting you later on when you post on the road.

Ok. Thanks! I’m beginning to memorize the restricted speed part. It’s a lot to read but I’m down.

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

lol you posting students already?? lol let me find out you got a pick job!