ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

I hope you guys that haven't been called are counting your blessings.

41 and counting dead. I just went back to work today after 2 weeks of self quarintine. My great grandma tested positive before she died and I took my grandmother to see her. Luckily I didn't get sick, but I'm anxious everyday. I'm a big guy and I have a special needs daughter and I am terrified of getting myself or her sick. 

This sucks. I just want to move trains and make money, not risk my life.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly bro......i wished i got called.  I'll be working.  making money.  sure it's a risk....we can die, we can spread it, but with a mask, this mitigates the risks.  But i rather have money than starve to death.  but this is just me personally.  i don't think we'll ever get called man.  be safe man

7 hours ago, trackerjack said:

honestly bro......i wished i got called.  I'll be working.  making money.  sure it's a risk....we can die, we can spread it, but with a mask, this mitigates the risks.  But i rather have money than starve to death.  but this is just me personally.  i don't think we'll ever get called man.  be safe man

I mean be optimistic the list hasnt even  reached 2000 people yet. They probably extend the exam a year or so hopefully

10 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Considering the state of things...lists will get extended and positions will open up, you can count on that.
Just stay safe for the time being and take care of yourself, the job will open up eventually.

Well.. for those waiting for a call.. look on the bright side!  A lot of are turned off and they are talking about Retiring as soon as hey can, and its a lot of old timers talking about leaving! They would leave now if they could but NYCers is  closed so they have to deal with it, but when everything is back, there will be a lot of people leaving at the same time!

On 4/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, I Run Trains said:

Well.. for those waiting for a call.. look on the bright side!  A lot of are turned off and they are talking about Retiring as soon as hey can, and its a lot of old timers talking about leaving! They would leave now if they could but NYCers is  closed so they have to deal with it, but when everything is back, there will be a lot of people leaving at the same time!

We need some T.O classes real soon!

52 minutes ago, fg8297 said:

We need some T.O classes real soon!

Unfortunately, schoolcar is suspended until this pandemic starts winding down. It also doesn't help that they were already short schoolcar TSS' to begin with.

But, the good news is that, like @I Run Trains said; there's going to be a large wave of retirements soon, freeing up more job openings.
For the time being - take care of yourself and your family, be safe, be patient, and you'll get called when everything mellows out.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:05 AM, beanz said:

Yea they got Schoolcar TSSs out on the road now. Let's just all keep hoping this goes away soon and you will see an influx of new blood soon after. Looking forward to having a bunch of ya behind me on the seniority list 😜

I'm looking forward to getting some extra money from taking students lol.

Since they're almost close to the 1300s I'm dreading when I get called working the 2 during midnight, flagging out the behind and scrapping that beautiful wall 😢 its an 1 hour and 50 minute run between Flatbush and 241st not including flagging and how fast the conductor closes the door. 

19 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

I'm looking forward to getting some extra money from taking students lol.

Not worth the hassle to me. I know I was a student myself and we have to pay it back but I was the student in a situation u may have heard of where the trainer actually overran a home signal. It wasn't my fault but im sure he feels it is since he was distracted talking to me when it happened. 

Also posted with a guy who was very new and I was his first student. Dude was soo scared the whole time he barely let me operate. They should think about taking it easier on trainers if the student makes a mistake so guys aren't so afraid to take students but even with that being said, it will be a long while before I'm letting somebody else operate that 77 ton behemoth while I backseat drive. Too nerve-racking.

1 hour ago, beanz said:

Not worth the hassle to me. I know I was a student myself and we have to pay it back but I was the student in a situation u may have heard of where the trainer actually overran a home signal. It wasn't my fault but im sure he feels it is since he was distracted talking to me when it happened. 

Also posted with a guy who was very new and I was his first student. Dude was soo scared the whole time he barely let me operate. They should think about taking it easier on trainers if the student makes a mistake so guys aren't so afraid to take students but even with that being said, it will be a long while before I'm letting somebody else operate that 77 ton behemoth while I backseat drive. Too nerve-racking.

Didn't hear about the situation, maybe it was in the A division.

The way I see it - everybody deserves a chance. Of course, if I get offered a student, I'll want to visually size them up, see how they carry themselves and ask them some questions.
Students make mistakes, I made some when I was posting, it's a part of the learning process.
I recall my schoolcar TSS mentioning a notice or memo where the trainer wouldn't be punished when a student made a mistake, he was talking about it with a TO that said he was reluctant to take students for the same reasons you stated. I gotta look that document up.

The way I see it, if I can do it, anyone can - and they made it this far through schoolcar already, so they have to be at least semi-capable.
Also - students are protected by schoolcar, so if they mess up - it's not a cardinal sin like for the rest of us, so there's that safety net. I know a buddy in my induction group that hit maybe 3 or 4 homeballs from YX to posting, he's still down here and on the road.

Edited by Jay-Oh

48 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

The way I see it - everybody deserves a chance. Of course, if I get offered a student, I'll want to visually size them up, see how they carry themselves and ask them some questions.
Students make mistakes, I made some when I was posting, it's a part of the learning process.
I recall my schoolcar TSS mentioning a notice or memo where the trainer wouldn't be punished when a student made a mistake, he was talking about it with a TO that said he was reluctant to take students for the same reasons you stated. I gotta look that document up.

The way I see it, if I can do it, anyone can - and they made it this far through schoolcar already, so they have to be at least semi-capable.
Also - students are protected by schoolcar, so if they mess up - it's not a cardinal sin like for the rest of us, so there's that safety net. I know a buddy in my induction group that hit maybe 3 or 4 homeballs from YX to posting, he's still down here and on the road.

Yea it was in the A. I did hear about that memo but I also heard that while it's being investigated the trainer gets put in the platform while the student just goes back to Schoolcar, so that seems unfair to some people. When I posted there were days I waited hours for someone to take mercy and accept a student and some of my classmates had to leave without being posted after 8 hours of waiting. I love teaching so I would do it someday but I'm not gonna do it until I'm comfortable as hell out there.

Sidenote I refresh my mind about things at certain locations by pretending I already have a student in the cab and talking like I'm teaching them. Keeps my mind fresh about things like points of no return or places where we can be turned around.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, Jay-Oh said:

3 or 4 home balls from Yx to posting! Impossible for him to still be down here ! I guarantee that. 

14 hours ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

3 or 4 home balls from Yx to posting! Impossible for him to still be down here ! I guarantee that. 

Hey man I’m just posting what was told to me by a TSS lol.

You can guarantee what you want, but he’s still down here tearing the road up 😂

3 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

But didn’t you say it was a buddy of yours in your induction class ? 
Now you saying you was told by a TSS ? 

With the way they super strict down here, you would see why I really really doubt he hit 3 to 4 homeballs and still be down here. 

You and I both know hitting homeballs down here are cardinal sins. 
he probably did something else but not 3 or 4 homeballs.

Even if he actually did hit that many home signals, why transmit that info on a public forum for? Keep it hush, hush. 🤪

People have been fired for hitting their first home signal. End of.

____
Not everyone is cut out to be a trainer either however well meaning they are. Some people think they can somehow adjust your operations within the one day when we've been doing road ops for two weeks straight beforehand. Some think you need to know every bit of detail when you ain't gonna remember everything in one day or that you should already know even though that's why they're paid the two hours. Some people just think it's a free two hours of pay they can take home and they'll operate lol. In the end, if no trainer takes you up, then just think of it as an easy 8 hours of pay and make up the posting day another time.

1 hour ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

But didn’t you say it was a buddy of yours in your induction class ? 
Now you saying you was told by a TSS ? 

With the way they super strict down here, you would see why I really really doubt he hit 3 to 4 homeballs and still be down here. 

You and I both know hitting homeballs down here are cardinal sins. 
he probably did something else but not 3 or 4 homeballs.

Yes, I was told by a TSS, and the one who did it was my homeboy. 
You don’t have to believe me, as long as I didn’t hit anything I’m chillin

@Jericho People have been fired for hitting their first home ball, but people have also skated with a slap on the wrist for the same infraction. 
You, Famoso, and I all know that discipline down here is not consistent across the board.

Also - I found it funny, so I told the anecdote 😂

16 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Thats because Two Bway is Closed...

PS 248 isn't really dealing with stuff right now and the MOST important thing...

They need bodies..

Believe me yer schoolcar buddy would have been shown the door otherwise...

Three Homesignal overruns shows utter recklessness you can tell him i said that...

I was one of the first open competitive classes down here in 2001 they was clipping some of us for hitting automatics..

Edited by RTOMan

On 5/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, RTOMan said:

Thats because Two Bway is Closed...

PS 248 isn't really dealing with stuff right now and the MOST important thing...

They need bodies..

Believe me yer schoolcar buddy would have been shown the door otherwise...

Three Homesignal overruns shows utter recklessness you can tell him i said that...

I was one of the first open competitive classes down here in 2001 they was clipping some of us for hitting automatics..

Are most of the TSS's on the road now?