Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/15/2018 at 3:54 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Actually there is a load of farebeating going on Staten Island, and just about every line that I used had an issue with it, but it was concentrated to certain areas.  I'd see it by Jersey Street on the S48, on the S53, S54, etc.  In my area people paid, but you go further west to Port Richmond and those areas like Mariners Harbor and farebeating is rampant. What they need to do is crack down in certain areas.

Same issue in the Bronx.  In Riverdale people pay the fare.  You go down hill on say the Bx9 and start going past the really poor areas (University Heights, parts of Fordham, etc.) and it's another story.  Staten Island has concentrated poverty which is the real problem and areas that are high income (most of my old neighborhood (West Brighton), Westerleigh, Emerson Hill, Randall Manor, etc. most of the mid-island and South Shore, etc.) are the areas where people pay.  Park Hill is another area where farebeating is rampant.  

Yessir there were times I did the s40/46/48/53 where half the people didn't pay but for the most part the s53 isnt usually too bad... But the 40/46/48 I could honestly say about 20% of the people do not pay (if you exclude loading at the ferry)

20 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Yessir there were times I did the s40/46/48/53 where half the people didn't pay but for the most part the s53 isnt usually too bad... But the 40/46/48 I could honestly say about 20% of the people do not pay (if you exclude loading at the ferry)

I lived in West Brighton (the nice well to do part by the SI Zoo)... I never ventured by those housing projects save one time when there was a transit strike. I had to walk north to reach the Ferry. Did that one morning and took a cab the other days. I imagine that the areas that are well north of Forest Avenue see fare beating since it’s poor.  We had a robbery on Forest Avenue that really shook me. Never had that sort of crime in that part of West Brighton. Figured I had to get the hell out or move further south. That sort of cemented me leaving entirely. lol The only express bus with farebeating issues is the X10 by the stops near to Park Hill, but they don’t get on much, so it’s a rarity.

The S53... You get a little issues here and there between Hylan and Clove but that’s random. The S48... Fine through West Brighton and Randall Manor and Westerleigh. I think the issues are likely in Mariners Harbor. I’ve never used the S40, but there are housing projects all along the route so I’m sure it’s the worst out of the bunch.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

28 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The only express bus with farebeating issues is the X10 by the stops near to Park Hill, but they don’t get on much, so it’s a rarity.

How do you even farebeat on an express bus, right in front of the driver's face, getting on and off the bus?

45 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

How do you even farebeat on an express bus, right in front of the driver's face, getting on and off the bus?

It happens. Person gets on with a sob story. They usually don’t just walk by the fare box like they do on the local buses. On Staten Island, the B/O will refrain from moving and will make an announcement that so and so didn’t pay and needs to come up and dip. The longer the bus sits, the more pissed people will become thus pressuring and further embarrassing the person to pay or get off. It’s happened a few times on the Manhattan side too. Person will try to get slick and get on at the last stop thinking the B/O will let it slide.  Nope. lol

We also had a teenage looking guy try to get on the X10 by Targee. I believe a passenger and myself got pissed went to the front and got him off since he had no intention of paying.  If passengers and B/Os banded together this nonsense would stop. The thing is it is basically accepted on the local buses. It is not tolerated on the express buses. If you are a regular and your card malfunctions or something maybe you’ll get a pass, but that won’t keep being tolerated.

Funny thing is I've only saw it on the X10 and always on a weekend. That's really the only line that goes through some non savory areas. The X12, X14 and X30 do too, but they're rush hour only routes so farebating isn't a problem then. Too many regulars and the same driver so you can't keep giving the same story.

53 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It happens. Person gets on with a sob story. They usually don’t just walk by the fare box like they do on the local buses. On Staten Island, the B/O will refrain from moving and will make an announcement that so and so didn’t pay and needs to come up and dip. The longer the bus sits, the more pissed people will become thus pressuring and further embarrassing the person to pay or get off. It’s happened a few times on the Manhattan side too. Person will try to get slick and get on at the last stop thinking the B/O will let it slide.  Nope. lol

We also had a teenage looking guy try to get on the X10 by Targee. I believe a passenger and myself got pissed went to the front and got him off since he had no intention of paying.  If passengers and B/Os banded together this nonsense would stop. The thing is it is basically accepted on the local buses. It is not tolerated on the express buses. If you are a regular and your card malfunctions or something maybe you’ll get a pass, but that won’t keep being tolerated.

Funny thing is I've only saw it on the X10 and always on a weekend. That's really the only line that goes through some non savory areas. The X12, X14 and X30 do too, but they're rush hour only routes so farebating isn't a problem then. Too many regulars and the same driver so you can't keep giving the same story.

I remember a lady getting on the X10 in Lower Manhattan (The infamous 3:20 PM trip that skips the Narrows Road. The B/O had to shout, "First Stop, Slosson Ave" at every single stop). The lady only had cash on her so the B/O said, "Maybe someone can sell you a swipe". She managed to set someone on the bus to sell her a swipe. (Isn't that illegal?)

Edited by Lil 57

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I remember a lady getting on the X10 in Lower Manhattan (The infamous 3:20 PM trip that skips the Narrows Road. The B/O had to shout, "First Stop, Slosson Ave" at every single stop). The lady only had cash on her so the B/O said, "Maybe someone can sell you a swipe". She managed to set someone on the bus to sell her a swipe. (Isn't that illegal?)

Technically yes (even off a pay-per-ride), but nobody ever really bothers people about that.

And I would think it would be easier to just set the sign up with the X10B reading "via Gannon" instead of the regular X10 reading "via Narrows/via Gannon"

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It happens. Person gets on with a sob story. They usually don’t just walk by the fare box like they do on the local buses.

Somewhat related to that, I was on the M57 last week and this young woman gets on with a sob story and the driver lets her on, while her three friends sneak through the back. Of course the op sees this through his mirror and quietly rings them up for four F5s while trying not to laugh.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

The lady only had cash on her so the B/O said, "Maybe someone can sell you a swipe". She managed to set someone on the bus to sell her a swipe. (Isn't that illegal?)

That happens on Staten Island all the time lol

6 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Technically yes (even off a pay-per-ride), but nobody ever really bothers people about that.

And I would think it would be easier to just set the sign up with the X10B reading "via Gannon" instead of the regular X10 reading "via Narrows/via Gannon"

IDK why the (MTA) didn't just make a sign for the X10c just saying "via Gannon". 

Edited by Lil 57

Just now, Lil 57 said:

IDK why they didn't make a sign for the X10c just saying "via Gannon".

The better question is, why didn't they just run that trip via West and call it a day? The X11 already has the Downtown riders covered at that time (and the X12 for those on the northern end of Richmond Avenue). Even for Port Richmond, the X14 gets to Battery Place 8 minutes after that trip departs (and I've seen that X10 trip Downtown as late as 5pm, so in practice, it might even get there before it some days)

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

The better question is, why didn't they just run that trip via West and call it a day? The X11 already has the Downtown riders covered at that time (and the X12 for those on the northern end of Richmond Avenue). Even for Port Richmond, the X14 gets to Battery Place 8 minutes after that trip departs (and I've seen that X10 trip Downtown as late as 5pm, so in practice, it might even get there before it some days)

Makes sense, the first X14 leaves 57th at the same time as that X10c trip. (That day the X14 was right behind us at Battery Place, It even got to Port Richmond earlier)

11 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I don't like dipping my card for people, but if I do they're going to pay me for it and I don't care for the B/O interfering either because some of them will play favoritism and wave the females on, but they would never do that for a male.  I have an unlimited, so I make money of off it most of the time, as I usually carry a spare with some money on it just in case I have a problem and I'll give them that if they really insist.  There was a lady up in Woodlawn that didn't know the neighborhood that was up there for a business matter.  I was on the bus with one of my B/O buddies.  Lady had a $10.00 on her.  I told her I didn't have change, took the $10.00 and dipped my card. It's one thing to be in an area without a subway nearby and have no Metrocard, and another to be in Manhattan and do that crap, so my attitude is if they have to pay almost double, maybe they'll wise up next time. The people that get on with a year's worth of change are annoying.  Jamming up the fare box and holding everybody up, or they dip an regular unlimited Metrocard that is not taken on the express bus and then have a whole conversation about why it should be accepted when it isn't. I sincerely hope that the new payment method just allows B/Os to drive and let the passengers use an app or something else to pay instead of interrupting service.  This should speed up SBS and all other service accordingly.

14 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

One time I got on an x10 (outbound)... Guy gets on & says "what's up"... nods his head & proceeds towards the back of the bus.... Of course I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that was an MTA worker......

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Maybe someone can sell you a swipe? Verbatim? smh..... Has things gotten this bad with this agency..... Yes it's illegal & I've seen people arrested for that in the subway system.

Next thing you know, you'll have b/o's selling swipes themselves....

54 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't like dipping my card for people, but if I do they're going to pay me for it and I don't care for the B/O interfering either because some of them will play favoritism and wave the females on, but they would never do that for a male.  I have an unlimited, so I make money of off it most of the time, as I usually carry a spare with some money on it just in case I have a problem and I'll give them that if they really insist....

I don't do that shit either, as I've seen more than my fair share of people getting their cards taken, trying to be good samaritans..... You give them your card, they give you 2 & change, you think they're going to dip the thing & give it back to you - next thing you know, that person asks to get off the bus (with the b/o thinking that the person's given up with asking anyone for "some change" or whatever).....

Don't get me started with the favoritism thing... When will these suckers learn that you don't get p**** points for letting these broads on for free.....

I used to carry an unlimited & a PPR... Now that I don't take mass transit to/from work anymore, I just have the spare PPR (never bothered to refill the unlimited, so I know its done expired) just in case... I have no clue how much is even on the thing.....

14 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

One time I got on an x10 (outbound)... Guy gets on & says "what's up"... nods his head & proceeds towards the back of the bus.... Of course I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that was an MTA worker......

Maybe someone can sell you a swipe? Verbatim? smh..... Has things gotten this bad with this agency..... Yes it's illegal & I've seen people arrested for that in the subway system.

Next thing you know, you'll have b/o's selling swipes themselves....

I don't do that shit either, as I've seen more than my fair share of people getting their cards taken, trying to be good samaritans..... You give them your card, they give you 2 & change, you think they're going to dip the thing & give it back to you - next thing you know, that person asks to get off the bus (with the b/o thinking that the person's given up with asking anyone for "some change" or whatever).....

Don't get me started with the favoritism thing... When will these suckers learn that you don't get p**** points for letting these broads on for free.....

I used to carry an unlimited & a PPR... Now that I don't take mass transit to/from work anymore, I just have the spare PPR (never bothered to refill the unlimited, so I know its done expired) just in case... I have no clue how much is even on the thing.....

I find it so funny that the X10 is the only express bus line in the entire express bus system where I've seen people blatantly try to fare beat regularly.  On the Riverdale lines, there is this one guy who tries the sympathy line.  At first he'd go with the local buses, but then he moved up to the express buses. I said look at this guy. A lot of nerve.... Given the area where I live at and where I get on at, I don't believe this guy can't afford it.  He's just a cheap SOB.  I've seen him for a few years now going to and from Manhattan on weekends, so obviously he has money for something. I flat out ignore him when he attempts to approach me to ask me to dip for him.  Not happening. This is why I don't support this whole reduced Metrocards thing. It just enables more and more people to scam the system that can indeed afford the fare.  

As for giving my card, I would reluctantly do it when the doors were closed and the bus was already headed towards the tunnel, otherwise I usually don't even bother taking my card out no matter how nice the person is dressed, male or female, OR I would personally go to the front and dip it myself. My attitude is I go out of my way to get to a subway to refill, so why can't other people? It's usually women (prima donnas) that do it too, and given how much brown nosing B/Os do with them, I don't feel like I should be further enabling them with their BS.  Everyone gets on and pays.  They're no better than anyone else.

---

On a side note, speaking of SBS, something that irks me to no end is how people will stand and wait until the very last minute until they see the bus coming and then there's the mad dash to get the ticket.  I don't get it. I thought the majority of riders use unlimited cards, especially for the Crosstown routes or they are transferring anyway most of the time, so it doesn't make any sense to me.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On a side note, speaking of SBS, something that irks me to no end is how people will stand and wait until the very last minute until they see the bus coming and then there's the mad dash to get the ticket.  I don't get it. I thought the majority of riders use unlimited cards, especially for the Crosstown routes or they are transferring anyway most of the time, so it doesn't make any sense to me.

That's not the case. The majority of riders use PPR cards.

In any case, the official policy is that the local B/Os should accept the SBS tickets, so in either case, they should be buying one anyway.

2 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That's not the case. The majority of riders use PPR cards.

In any case, the official policy is that the local B/Os should accept the SBS tickets, so in either case, they should be buying one anyway.

On Crosstown buses too? Supposedly most are transferring so even if they are PPR riders it shouldn't matter anyway.