R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

For the R32 retirement run, I'd either expect a run on the (A) similar to the R42 or some round trips on the (Q) to 96th (alternating between Brighton and Sea Beach).

If they send it up the Broadway Line, I would love to have it go through the 60 St tube.

4 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Why cant they go through Montague? Didnt they used to run on (R) sometimes when Jamaica Had them?

That was before they made repairs to the Montague Street Tunnel. After the repairs, the R32s couldn't go there because of clearance issues because of how the tunnel repairs were done. Also, not only is going through Montague unavailable, it can't go on any line going through DeKalb because of the potential that a service change occurs where trains are rerouted off the Manhattan Bridge and through the tunnel.  

The most recent time an R32 went through DeKalb was 2014 for a one-time vibration test on the (R).  That was when Montague was closed and they did it on a weekend, so it ran the full route via the Manhattan Bridge.  I guess in that case, there was no chance of a service change requiring it to go through the tunnel.

I think the r32 final retirement run will be on the (A) because of easy access to the yards and two wouldn't the NYC transit Museum prep the train up for its final run like it did with the r42s, like the train was shiny and clean before beginning it's final run. And also the transit museum has an right of way track connection that leads to the (A)(C) line in which the train can travel along the line and start it's trip at Euclid av. But I think the (D) train can be another option.

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I believe the TOMM passed though DeKalb AFTER the Montague tube rebulid. None of the cars in the TOMM consist can fit in the rebuilt Montague tube so I would imagine 60FT SMEEs can run via the Bridge for special occasions.

Here is the video proof

That's the bridge side of DeKalb. Pretty sure that train was via the Q and the bridge. Remember, it started at 96th for the SAS and came through Manhattan to Coney? The announcement in that video says "Union Square is next." Pretty sure the train ran super-express to 14th, 42nd, and a couple others on the way back up. I have some photos of it on the express track at Union. Actually, come to think of it, the TM folks signed up the R16s (only cars with those signs) as the QB. It was definitely over the bridge.

My understanding is the Montague mess was proven after some fallen cables, which led to the decision not to run R1-9s through the tunnel. This subchat thread has good information on it: http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1315440&p=1#1315473.

Edited by MHV9218

9 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

That's the bridge side of DeKalb. Pretty sure that train was via the Q and the bridge. Remember, it started at 96th for the SAS and came through Manhattan to Coney? The announcement in that video says "Union Square is next." Pretty sure the train ran super-express to 14th, 42nd, and a couple others on the way back up. I have some photos of it on the express track at Union. Actually, come to think of it, the TM folks signed up the R16s (only cars with those signs) as the QB. It was definitely over the bridge.

My understanding is the Montague mess was proven after some fallen cables, which led to the decision not to run R1-9s through the tunnel. This subchat thread has good information on it: http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1315440&p=1#1315473.

I know it's the bridge side of DeKalb, I lived along the Brighton Line a good portion of my life rode trains though DeKalb over the bridge many times.

My post was replying to BM5's post (forgot to quote him) saying they can't run though DeKalb at all. I'm saying they can run museum cars though the bridge tracks at DeKalb as seen in the video.

34 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I know it's the bridge side of DeKalb, I lived along the Brighton Line a good portion of my life rode trains though DeKalb over the bridge many times.

My post was replying to BM5's post (forgot to quote him) saying they can't run though DeKalb at all. I'm saying they can run museum cars though the bridge tracks at DeKalb as seen in the video.

Oh, misunderstood the post. Definitely yeah, DeKalb is not off-limits. I think it's just anything below Canal.

Someone forgot to measure tunnel clearances properly during the reconstruction.  And MTA management, in their usual inertia, have simply been uninterested in doing anything about it.

Edited by R10 2952

I apologize if this thought was repeated all over but, was the R32 retirement b.c of low ridership (from the outbreak), 55+ years of age and that the R179 order being competed that the half cabs aren't needed?

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

I apologize if this thought was repeated all over but, was the R32 retirement b.c of low ridership (from the outbreak), 55+ years of age and that the R179 order being competed that the half cabs aren't needed?

If they are in fact retired, it will be because of diminished ridership in the months before the R211 order, no longer needing as many cars. But many of us are dubious about the math on this in terms of equipment availability. The half cab issue is the reason they're stowed away during the crisis itself.

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

If they are in fact retired, it will be because of diminished ridership in the months before the R211 order, no longer needing as many cars. But many of us are dubious about the math on this in terms of equipment availability. The half cab issue is the reason they're stowed away during the crisis itself.

they might have to re enter service, I read an article saying once the subway is 100% and the shutdown is lifted. They still want people to practice social distancing, Can't do that with 4 car (G) trains. The (C) its 50/50, but in order to do that plus dis infect and clean cars every 24 hours. They are gonna need extra cars as spares to do all of that plus the social distancing. this is WHY They shouldn't have Jumped the gun on retiring cars during this whole situation.

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

they might have to re enter service, I read an article saying once the subway is 100% and the shutdown is lifted. They still want people to practice social distancing, Can't do that with 4 car (G) trains. The (C) its 50/50, but in order to do that plus dis infect and clean cars every 24 hours. They are gonna need extra cars as spares to do all of that plus the social distancing. this is WHY They shouldn't have Jumped the gun on retiring cars during this whole situation.

This was at Albanys request which just goes to show how clueless the government is and running reliable service. The MTA wanted to keep them until the R211s which could possibly be delayed if manufacuring stopped during the crisis. The MTA should not have retired anything after the R179 incident in January just in case they needed a spare. But the MTA and its stupidity retired hundreds of cars within a week of the R179s return and then gradually sidelined the R32s until their full retirement in April. They need to keep the R32 until the R211s. An old train is better than no train especially in the age of social distance.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Is there going to be a separate page for the R32 final run? There have been rumors tjat the MTA is planning it already for after the covid 19 shutdown.

I'm sorry but I simply do not believe that the R32's are fully retired. A few sets maybe, but (MTA) knows not to retire a full set of cars without their replacements after the R38/44 fiasco. There's even been videos on youtube of sets being transferred between 207th St & Pitkin.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm sorry but I simply do not believe that the R32's are fully retired. A few sets maybe, but (MTA) knows not to retire a full set of cars without their replacements after the R38/44 fiasco. There's even been videos on youtube of sets being transferred between 207th St & Pitkin.

As much as I hope for the R32s to return I just dont think it is happening. That debate is had in the comments of the aformentioned video of the transfer. There was also a leaked document by the MTA stating the full retirement of the R32. They could have been transferred to keep in good condition if they do a final trip in passenger service, similar to when the R42s were sent to 207 prior to their final run.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:20 PM, happy283 said:

Is there going to be a separate page for the R32 final run? There have been rumors tjat the MTA is planning it already for after the covid 19 shutdown.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, Lawrence St said:

On 5/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, happy283 said:

As much as I hope for the R32s to return I just dont think it is happening. That debate is had in the comments of the aformentioned video of the transfer. There was also a leaked document by the MTA stating the full retirement of the R32. They could have been transferred to keep in good condition if they do a final trip in passenger service, similar to when the R42s were sent to 207 prior to their final run.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother worrying about it right now, because the MTA is probably not going to do any special events until things get back to normal, and that's not happening anytime soon.

Low key, the MTA could run an R32 final trip and rather than have it be free, make it a paid trip, that's one way to enforce social distancing lol. Back in the day I believe some of the final runs of certain car classes were paid trips and not free. They were better as they went all over the system rather than go back and forth on one route. I remember seeing the description for one of those old MOD trips and the goal was to cover as much of the A or B div (I forgot which one it was) as possible.  

15 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't bother worrying about it right now, because the MTA is probably not going to do any special events until things get back to normal, and that's not happening anytime soon.

Things are going back to normal, it won't take a year as originally suggested. As long as everyone continues to follow the guidelines, things should return to normal soon.