R-42 Final Run Retirement - February 12th, 2020

+Young+

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

there are some who have to be ordered while my generation took it as “ one hand washes the other “ . Maybe some active RTO folks can elaborate how it works now. Carry on.

The opposite of it is, 'I can tell you to do anything, of course you ran that for me', or more disappointingly...one hand washes the other but when it's time to reciprocate suddenly there's no soap.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

The opposite of it is, 'I can tell you to do anything, of course you ran that for me', or more disappointingly...one hand washes the other but when it's time to reciprocate suddenly there's no soap.

That’s what started happening later on in my time in RTO. It became more adversarial. People forgetting where they came from. I guess that happens no matter where one is employed. I remember watching a new track foreman screw up at a work site when I was on work trains. My partner and I started to correct him but his track guys told us to be quiet and watch them. He screwed up everything and at 5am when the G.O. was supposed to be over he had to take another hour to clean up the mess he created. After he got reamed out by the track and the desk trainmaster supervisors he was humble for the rest of his career. It’s the types you mentioned that make the job worse than what it should be. Most posters, IMO, don’t have any work experience or very little, because they are young. They see trains or buses and figure “ I can do that “ without realizing that there are some personalities that ruin the job. Just my opinion. Carry on. 

3 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why are the rest of the R32s bring retired? The 11 R179s on the (C) aren't enough and transferring cars will result in a systemwide shortage?

There is no final decision set in stone yet. They might retire all of them this spring or retire some, then retire the rest when the r211s commence delivery. I hope they keep some of them in service because if they retire them all at once then there is going to be a shortage and that would end up becoming a disaster. I don't think there are enough cars in service to make up for the loss of r32s until the r211s come.

44 minutes ago, Far rockaway said:

There is no final decision set in stone yet. They might retire all of them this spring or retire some, then retire the rest when the r211s commence delivery. I hope they keep some of them in service because if they retire them all at once then there is going to be a shortage and that would end up becoming a disaster. I don't think there are enough cars in service to make up for the loss of r32s until the r211s come.

they want all of them out, it's gonna backfire. the (C) will run every 15 mintues all because of this if there's no trains available.

58 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

they want all of them out, it's gonna backfire. the (C) will run every 15 mintues all because of this if there's no trains available.

Why are they desperate to retire the R32s that they will reduce (C) service. Its better to have old trains than not enough trains.

19 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why are they desperate to retire the R32s that they will reduce (C) service. Its better to have old trains than not enough trains.

Likely because the MDBF for them is so low that the costs and resources used to get them back into service are both prohibitive and diverting from maintaining other fleets adequately.

49 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Likely because the MDBF for them is so low that the costs and resources used to get them back into service are both prohibitive and diverting from maintaining other fleets adequately.

It's Because of politics, Transit spent money fixing up 110 cars to last for atleast 2-4 years while the remaining 112 cars would be stripped for parts and retired. that was the plan until the idiot in albany got Into the mix. So now they want them gone, it suckes because once the first R211 hits the rails, the R46's will start to go quicker than originally planned meaning no service would be expanded like 100% full length (C) and (G) trains that we really need until much later. plus congestion pricing if it goes into effect.

Edited by R32 3838

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Any speculation on when it will be?

A while ago, some idiot on Facebook posted that it would be June with a pic of an R32 on the (N) but it was obviously proving to be fake because it was taken from by nycsubway.org and other reasons.

3 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

A while ago, some idiot on Facebook posted that it would be June with a pic of an R32 on the (N) but it was obviously proving to be fake because it was taken from by nycsubway.org and other reasons.

It will probably be on the (A) because thats where they usually do final runs. It could be June because thats when it will likely be safe. Is there any word from the MTA or Transit Museum on when they may do it?

Ever since the R42 final run fanners have been obsessed with this R32 final run. I like the 32s and rode the final 42 run and I don't really see the appeal. The train will rush hour like crowds full of railfans, is that really enjoyable?

That's not a knock against railfans, riding a crushloaded train period isn't really enjoyable.

It would only be worth it me if the final run was on a southern BMT line like the (D)(N) or (Q)

Plus half of y'all will make posts complaining about "foamers" and railfans misbehaving on the train.

The R38, R40M, R44 didn't get official final runs and nobody lost sleep over it back then. I just don't understand why railfans are so obsessed with car classes having an special final run all of a sudden.

Random, but when I rode the R42 final run, if I had a drink Everytime some buff said the word foamer I'd die of alcohol poisoning.

37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Ever since the R42 final run fanners have been obsessed with this R32 final run. I like the 32s and rode the final 42 run and I don't really see the appeal. The train will rush hour like crowds full of railfans, is that really enjoyable?

That's not a knock against railfans, riding a crushloaded train period isn't really enjoyable.

It would only be worth it me if the final run was on a southern BMT line like the (D)(N) or (Q)

Plus half of y'all will make posts complaining about "foamers" and railfans misbehaving on the train.

The R38, R40M, R44 didn't get official final runs and nobody lost sleep over it back then. I just don't understand why railfans are so obsessed with car classes having an special final run all of a sudden.

Random, but when I rode the R42 final run, if I had a drink Everytime some buff said the word foamer I'd die of alcohol poisoning.

It was mostly the first car that had the railfans because of the RFW. I honestly just want to ride an R32 one more time since I havent rode one in quite some time. Its worth it for that.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

To throw my two cents here, I'll respond to the first 3 points of your post. 

1. I don't know about everyone else, but I've been predicting a final run for the R-32 since 2018. 

2. Couldn't agree with you more. 

3. Personally, I'd like to see the R-32 do a run from Astoria to Coney Island via the Brighton Line. It'd also be preferable if it were more than one train (I'd say at least 3) given that the 32's had outlived the 50 year lifespan. But running it via the (D) Line works as well, if not better. We'll just have to wait and see once this whole pandemic is over.  

I dont mind seeing  that last and final run on the (A) one more time besides they always usually do final runs with old trains on the (A) any way so I couldn't care less, not to mention if they do have a final run which they should Brighton  should be the hot spot to get em I'd  say the (Q) or (B) for one more final run then I would be set for life tbh. I can't see it touching the Broadway lines for multiple reasons so it would make sense  for it to touch the brighton line and or the 8th Avenue  line i can even put out the (J) imo for one more final run since everyone liked it on the (J) more then the R42s as far as Ik idk everyone has there opinions  so that's mines so I look forward to June to see what's the news on the R32 final run hopefully...

Edited by Ultimategamer12c