Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

NICE to get 60 Gillig buses to replace Orions


Lawrence St
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

No source as of yet, but this info was found on FB from a reliable source, and seconded by someone else.

Unless there's proof of it out there, it's unsubstantiated.  Too many times "reliable source" gets thrown around and it ends up not being true. Whether it ends up being true or not, IDK, but I always question anything where the information is said to come from some undisclosed or anonymous "source".

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Regardless if this is true or false, this is still funny as shit to me :lol::lol::lol:

Either you got some MF-er out there lying for clout, or NICEbus is on the verge of sinking to a new low!

 

Not helping matters is the fact that Gillig has no interest in articulated buses, even though NICE is interested.

I wouldn't care so much if they were for the old N2 and N17, but to replace Orion buses? That's extremely suspect, to say the least, especially since Suffolk's been moving away from Gillig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Lex said:

Not helping matters is the fact that Gillig has no interest in articulated buses, even though NICE is interested.

I wouldn't care so much if they were for the old N2 and N17, but to replace Orion buses? That's extremely suspect, to say the least, especially since Suffolk's been moving away from Gillig.

Barely interested, just barely. New Flyer has their attention, as the artics have been doing quite well for them. Suffolk has been moving away from Gillig because they look at what Nassau County has and gets their own(hence the Orion VII NGs and the Xcelsiors, you can't say that's not a coincidence).

As for those looking elsewhere for sustainable evidence, don't expect Gillig to put a release out until everything becomes official. You won't find things out THIS fast so suddenly.

The 1700s are reaching their retirement age by way of both mileage and tank expiration, the tanks will expire in a year or two for a majority of those buses.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Barely interested, just barely. New Flyer has their attention, as the artics have been doing quite well for them. Suffolk has been moving away from Gillig because they look at what Nassau County has and gets their own(hence the Orion VII NGs and the Xcelsiors, you can't say that's not a coincidence).

As for those looking elsewhere for sustainable evidence, don't expect Gillig to put a release out until everything becomes official. You won't find things out THIS fast so suddenly.

The 1700s are reaching their retirement age by way of both mileage and tank expiration, the tanks will expire in a year or two for a majority of those buses.

 

The Tanks are still good for another 4-6 years, Any CNG bus made between 2007-2010 has 15 to 20 year old tanks. 2011 or 2012 and up has 25 year tanks, NICE just want these orions gone due to high mileage and other reasons.

 

buses built between 1989-1997 CNG tanks are only good for 12 years

Buses Built between 1998-2010 (or 2010-present) tanks are good for 15 years

Optional Tanks could last up to 20 or 25 years anything Built after 2010

 

Edited by R32 3838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The Tanks are still good for another 4-6 years, Any CNG bus made between 2007-2010 has 15 to 20 year old tanks. 2011 or 2012 and up has 25 year tanks, NICE just want these orions gone due to high mileage and other reasons.

 

buses built between 1989-1997 CNG tanks are only good for 12 years

Buses Built between 1998-2010 (or 2010-present) tanks are good for 15 years

Optional Tanks could last up to 20 or 25 years anything Built after 2010

 

They have 15 year tanks. The 2009s are 11 years old and the 2008s are 12. By the time those Gilligs even show up, they'll be around 14 years old. Those Gilligs won't be here any time soon.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2020 at 5:59 PM, R32 3838 said:

The Tanks are still good for another 4-6 years, Any CNG bus made between 2007-2010 has 15 to 20 year old tanks. 2011 or 2012 and up has 25 year tanks, NICE just want these orions gone due to high mileage and other reasons.

 

buses built between 1989-1997 CNG tanks are only good for 12 years

Buses Built between 1998-2010 (or 2010-present) tanks are good for 15 years

Optional Tanks could last up to 20 or 25 years anything Built after 2010

 

It's more like 1989-2000 was 12-13 years. 2001 and up until 2008 or so was 15 years and 2009 to the present are 20 years or more. The 2009 Orion VII NG  CNGs (#1700 was the 2008 pilot that was delivered in the fall of that year shortly after the #3800's started arriving) should be ATLEAST 15-16 years (tanks-wise), probably longer. The 2010-2011 buses should be the same if not longer and the 3Gs are about the same as the C40LFs in the city. In any case, why is NICE even getting these, I mean aren't they still in a contract with New Flyer? Those Advantage CNGs will never make pass 12 years, not with our punishing streets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, GojiMet86 said:

Just saw the post.

It was from Trevor Logan.

Why other people insisted on being mysterious about this source is beyond me, especially how much he has contributed to the community.

Thank You. Yes I am the source. It is a multi-year contract with 60 buses on the first year. This contract will ultimately replace all of the Orion VII 3rd/Next Gen CNGs as well as the Orion VII EPA10 4th Generation CNGs.

Now all the talk about quality and what not and I am by far NO fan of GILLIG, BUT in the last 3-4 years since moving to the new Livermore Facility, the GILLIG product has strengthened and I'd bet my life on a GILLIG before an Xcelsior. GILLIG suffers from the same stigma like the Eldorado where their past haunts their present. The new ENC Axess is a bad ass bus after visiting the ENC manufacturing facility and seeing how they have changed their build process. Again, I'd bet my life on a Axess before an Xcelsior.

Edited by The Real
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Addendum to my post above.

Option #1 has been taken, so it will be 80 GILLiG Low Floor CNG buses in the first year instead of 60 leaving 2 options on the table, 40 and 45 buses respectively. NICE will have 6 years to exercise the 2 remaining options, but it's expected that the remaining two options will be exercised in 2022. This order will clear out all of the Orion VII Next Generation/Gen III CNGs, leaving the Orion VII EPA10/Gen IV CNGs to be replaced at a later date.

At this time it is unknown what body style has been chosen, but my educated guess will be that it is the standard box style and not the BRT option but we will see.

Edited by The Real
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty interesting, ordinarily now would be the time to start riding those older Orions. I guess the fleet numbers will continue from 1985 to 2064 (80), then 2104 (40) and finally 2149 (45).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Looking on a FB group, and it appears that NICE will receive 15 more 2021 XN40s (1985-1999). Then they will be receiving the Gilligs, numbered 2000 and up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, User said:

It sounds like we are going to start seeing more of these being auctioned pretty soon:

L4GGRG7.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/JR8UZ8Y

No wonder NICE has been receiving additional XD40’s this past year. The 1700’s look and sound done and I’m surprised they survived this long with the terrible maintenance they received under Long Island Bus and NICE bus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gilligs are a pita for maintenance and drivingin the rain 

if you put some sensor under the driver side and it rains and the rain slicks kicks up when driving will sloe the bus down 

better make room for long term stay in maintenance cause the slightest problem will make em stay

how do i know? where i live its gillig city

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

gilligs are a pita for maintenance and drivingin the rain 

if you put some sensor under the driver side and it rains and the rain slicks kicks up when driving will sloe the bus down 

better make room for long term stay in maintenance cause the slightest problem will make em stay

how do i know? where i live its gillig city

I can only hope that these Gilligs will do better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

gilligs are a pita for maintenance and drivingin the rain 

if you put some sensor under the driver side and it rains and the rain slicks kicks up when driving will sloe the bus down 

better make room for long term stay in maintenance cause the slightest problem will make em stay

how do i know? where i live its gillig city

I wonder why NICE didn’t settle for more XN40’s. I guess they didn’t want to have an entire fleet of XN40’s. 
How well does the Novabus LFS CNG do? I know the LFS in general is a pretty solid bus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder why NICE didn’t settle for more XN40’s. I guess they didn’t want to have an entire fleet of XN40’s. 
How well does the Novabus LFS CNG do? I know the LFS in general is a pretty solid bus. 

LFS is a great performer but also the most expensive of all the CNG buses out there to purchase new. Haven't heard of many LFS CNG sales honeslty, unless I'm not looking hard enough ? As for New Flyer, something tells me that their contract with them went up and they didn't want to purchase anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Lex said:

I can only hope that these Gilligs will do better.

 

12 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I wonder why NICE didn’t settle for more XN40’s. I guess they didn’t want to have an entire fleet of XN40’s. 
How well does the Novabus LFS CNG do? I know the LFS in general is a pretty solid bus. 

i also forgot to mention that one bounce you will set off alarms on the bus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Railfanner Jake said:

LFS is a great performer but also the most expensive of all the CNG buses out there to purchase new. Haven't heard of many LFS CNG sales honeslty, unless I'm not looking hard enough ? As for New Flyer, something tells me that their contract with them went up and they didn't want to purchase anymore. 

I wonder if that has contributed to the reason why the MTA themselves have been getting tons and tons of New Flyer buses and some Novabuses. There is definitely a saying that says “you get what you pay for”, so we will see how both buses hold up past the 12 year mark. As much as I like the design of the XD40/XN40 and their 60ft counterparts, I think overall the LFS is a more durable bus. I’ve personally never rode on a Gillig so I don’t know how they would do with NICE. Being that NICE isn’t so nice with the maintenance they definitely need buses that will hold up and can take some abuse because Nassau is very stingy when it comes to funding it’s bus system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.