Today (6/27/12)is 2nd anniversary of the "Doomsday" Bus cuts and changes.

Q101viaSteinway

Any thought

Many of the routes i.e X29 will never come back. However a few cuts that should be restored asap in no order.

Brooklyn

B4 service at least to Sheapshead Bay Station and ideally to Knapp Street..

B64 to Stillwell Terminal.

B8 Full time *(every other bus daytime hours)to Bay Ridge-95th St. The "short turn terminal in SW Brooklyn should be 18th Ave/86th St (D) station not the VA Hosp.

B39 Weekday only service returns or as a merged route. i.e "Q59" or "B24." The (MTA) will never allow the "M15" to be extended to WBP. Or another option extend it to the Grand St (B)(D) as Cait aka Shane suggested to increase ridership.

If and when Essex is ADA then the "B39" could be kissed bye bye for good.

B69 Restore Weekend service along Vanderbelt.

X27/28 Saturday service returns and if ridership increases also for Sundays.

B51 restored weekday service. Extended to BMCC/Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan and in Brooklyn to 4th Ave/9th St via Smith/9th Sts.

B67 Restore overnight hourly service. Also extended weekdays only via 16th Ave to Boro Park (D)(N) 62nd St station.

B57 Shortned to run between LI College Hosp. (Atlantic and Columbia Sts) and 61st/Maspeth. No Overnight service.

B71 restored to run weekdays only between Prospect Park (B)(Q) station aka Empire Blvd/Flatbush and South Ferry.

Via Flatbush, Union, 3rd Avenue, 9th Street, Hamilton Ave Carey/Battery Tunnel and South Ferry.

B24 weekend service returns running only between 46th/Queens Blvd in Sunnyside and Greenpoint Ave/Manhattan (G) station.

Manhattan

M10 Return service to Penn Station.

M104 Return service to East Midtown/UN area.

M8 restore weekend service. No overnight service though.

M6 restore it and run it between 72nd St/Bway. and South Ferry.

Southbound M6 via Bway, 59th, 7th Ave, 23rd, Park Ave S, then via current M5 route.

M5 Run City Hall/Park Row and 168th St-Broadway with short turns start/end at 9th Street. "M5" runs Limited 7 days a week between Canal St and 72nd St weekdays 6am-9pm and weekends 8am-8pm

M9 Restored to it's pre-June 2010 Routing.

M20 Maintain service between South Ferry and Lincoln Center. Late evenings runs only between Battery Park City and PABT.

Queens

Q76 Restore Saturday service. Runs from 630am-11pm. Hourly service Late Saturday evenings appx. 9pm-last bus.

Q26 Restore Saturday service to help out overcrowded Q27.

Q30 extended (selected trips only)weekdays only to Little Neck LIRR. Restores Local Bus service to much of Little Neck Parkway.

Bronx

Merge the BX20 to renamed the BX7a. Run BX7a weekdays only as Broadway Local between 168th and 246th/Henry Hudson. Limited Stop BX7 rush hours(expand to all day weekdays if succesful)between 263/Riverdale and 168th.

BX34-Restored weekend service. Runs weekends only between 206th St/Norwood (D) station and Woodlawn. No overnight service.

BX55-At least all day Saturday service restored. In addition BX15 created full time short turns(except overnights) between Fordham and 125th/Lex.

More to come. Reactions?

I think this has been discussed to death between the "_____ Proposals" threads, and the threads that came up when these cuts were first brought up.

Anyway, I'd just like to mention that the Q26 hasn't run weekends since 1995.

The routes that should be restored first should be the ones where efficiency dropped the most. The only problem is you couldn't consider restoring routes that were entirely eliminated. Any way you do it you need to consider the effects the cuts had on ridership and I could almost guarantee yoy the MTA will only consider the operating costs needed to restore the cuts and ignore revenue in their analysis. If they do restore some services, I would love to see the analyis they used. They will never tell.

I need my B4 back and so does all of Sheepshead Bay, is itbgonna be back by 2013?? Restore full B64 service along Haraway to CI. Add Saturday service 9 am to 9pm 20 min headways to B2. Restore B48 to pre-2010. Restore full B12 as well. I agree with the Q76. And the B8

There were only two bus routes and one subway line that had service changed/discontinued that affected me.

The M9 being rerouted, the discontinuation of the (W) and the cut of Sunday service on the Q77.

I actually used the M9 a lot more after the cuts, even though I now had to walk an extra block which wasn't a big deal. I rode it the day before I moved.

Even though I was still living in Manhattan at the time of the cuts and I have recently moved to Springfield Gardens, I use the Q77 on Saturdays, and when I want to visit my grandpa (he lives near the 169 St station) or want to hang out anywhere near Hillside on Sundays, I either have to walk 15 minutes to Farmers/145 Rd OR take the Q85 to Farmers/Bedell and transfer to the horridly slow Q3 bus instead of walking 5 minutes then just catching the Q77. It really does suck :/

I think Q77 sunday service should come back with 30 minute or hourly headways between 8am and 6pm and saturday service should be extended to 9pm.

And about the (W), My school (St. John's Prep) is in Astoria and I frequent the Astoria line 5 days a week (Using Astoria-Ditmars AND Astoria Blvd stations frequently). The line is more bunched up and delay prone, but I'm kind of used to it....

The Q26 was a full time route

Damn. This route suffered drastic cuts

The Bx20 used to be a 7-day route as well. The M18 used to run all the way down 5th Avenue to the East Village and I think the M30 used to have 7-day service. There are a few other routes that have seen really bad cuts over the years, and obviously we're all fearing that the B64 will be next.

Even though I was still living in Manhattan at the time of the cuts and I have recently moved to Springfield Gardens, I use the Q77 on Saturdays, and when I want to visit my grandpa (he lives near the 169 St station) or want to hang out anywhere near Hillside on Sundays, I either have to walk 15 minutes to Farmers/145 Rd OR take the Q85 to Farmers/Bedell and transfer to the horridly slow Q3 bus instead of walking 5 minutes then just catching the Q77. It really does suck :/

I think Q77 sunday service should come back with 30 minute or hourly headways between 8am and 6pm and saturday service should be extended to 9pm.

The Q77 had Sunday service? (All I know is that if it was eliminated, it happened well before 2010)

There were only two bus routes and one subway line that had service changed/discontinued that affected me.

The M9 being rerouted, the discontinuation of the (W) and the cut of Sunday service on the Q77.

I actually used the M9 a lot more after the cuts, even though I now had to walk an extra block which wasn't a big deal. I rode it the day before I moved.

And about the (W), My school (St. John's Prep) is in Astoria and I frequent the Astoria line 5 days a week (Using Astoria-Ditmars AND Astoria Blvd stations frequently). The line is more bunched up and delay prone, but I'm kind of used to it....

The Q77 never ran Sundays

Many of the routes i.e X29 will never come back. However a few cuts that should be restored asap in no order.

Brooklyn

B4 service at least to Sheapshead Bay Station and ideally to Knapp Street..

B64 to Stillwell Terminal.

B8 Full time *(every other bus daytime hours)to Bay Ridge-95th St. The "short turn terminal in SW Brooklyn should be 18th Ave/86th St (D) station not the VA Hosp.

B39 Weekday only service returns or as a merged route. i.e "Q59" or "B24." The (MTA) will never allow the "M15" to be extended to WBP. Or another option extend it to the Grand St (B)(D) as Cait aka Shane suggested to increase ridership.

If and when Essex is ADA then the "B39" could be kissed bye bye for good.

B69 Restore Weekend service along Vanderbelt.

X27/28 Saturday service returns and if ridership increases also for Sundays.

B51 restored weekday service. Extended to BMCC/Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan and in Brooklyn to 4th Ave/9th St via Smith/9th Sts.

B67 Restore overnight hourly service. Also extended weekdays only via 16th Ave to Boro Park (D)(N) 62nd St station.

B57 Shortned to run between LI College Hosp. (Atlantic and Columbia Sts) and 61st/Maspeth. No Overnight service.

B71 restored to run weekdays only between Prospect Park (B)(Q) station aka Empire Blvd/Flatbush and South Ferry.

Via Flatbush, Union, 3rd Avenue, 9th Street, Hamilton Ave Carey/Battery Tunnel and South Ferry.

B24 weekend service returns running only between 46th/Queens Blvd in Sunnyside and Greenpoint Ave/Manhattan (G) station.

Manhattan

M10 Return service to Penn Station.

M104 Return service to East Midtown/UN area.

M8 restore weekend service. No overnight service though.

M6 restore it and run it between 72nd St/Bway. and South Ferry.

Southbound M6 via Bway, 59th, 7th Ave, 23rd, Park Ave S, then via current M5 route.

M5 Run City Hall/Park Row and 168th St-Broadway with short turns start/end at 9th Street. "M5" runs Limited 7 days a week between Canal St and 72nd St weekdays 6am-9pm and weekends 8am-8pm

M9 Restored to it's pre-June 2010 Routing.

M20 Maintain service between South Ferry and Lincoln Center. Late evenings runs only between Battery Park City and PABT.

Queens

Q76 Restore Saturday service. Runs from 630am-11pm. Hourly service Late Saturday evenings appx. 9pm-last bus.

Q30 extended (selected trips only)weekdays only to Little Neck LIRR. Restores Local Bus service to much of Little Neck Parkway.

Bronx

Merge the BX20 to renamed the BX7a. Run BX7a weekdays only as Broadway Local between 168th and 246th/Henry Hudson. Limited Stop BX7 rush hours(expand to all day weekdays if succesful)between 263/Riverdale and 168th.

BX34-Restored weekend service. Runs weekends only between 206th St/Norwood (D) station and Woodlawn. No overnight service.

BX55-At least all day Saturday service restored. In addition BX15 created full time short turns(except overnights) between Fordham and 125th/Lex.

More to come. Reactions?

As for Manhattan I disagree with your ideas about the M10, M6, and, M104.

When the M10 ran to Penn Station a lot of the buses that were about to terminate were almost empty, same deal with buses that were heading towards 159th. The M10 gets a bulk of its ridership along CPW and FDB (between 135th and 116th). After about 65th street most people are off the buses so bringing the M10 back to Penn would be a waste of money.

The M104, when it ran to UN was hammered by the traffic on 42nd street, thus making the M104 an unreliable route. Now that the 104 doesn't have to deal with the traffic on 42nd street it runs better. Besides the M42 has very good headways so it manages the crowds very well.

Finally the M6 was a nightmare when it ran, it was a good idea on the MTA's part to cut it. It was not a good idea to have the M5 cover the M6's route. I have suggested in the past to bring back the M1 to its original routing.

Also bring the X90 back!

Carry on...

lmao @ this:

http://media.silive.com/latest_news/photo/buscutnoticejpg-9373c3f0768ff1c7_large.jpg

Anyway, I don't have a list of all the cuts in front of me (that webcitation link aint workin right now), but off top, the only cuts/changes I agreed with, were that of the B37 & the B12.....

Archived