The Battery Run Discussion

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's one from a southbound G yesterday:

Mertopolitan-Bedford/Nostrand-Hoyt/Schermerhorn.

Speaking of the (G) I've been on a battery run just like the one you gave, albeit in the northbound direction.

There have been some intersting battery runs on Queens Blvd. One time the railroad was all messed up and I got on an (R) train at Roosevelt Ave., which ended up going express. At Queens Plaza we met an (E) train on the local track. Both trains on the wrong track, and both trains having to switch west of the station.

I've also gotten a (V) express (just like the old days where the (F) went through 53rd) that's half as crowded as an (E) or (F) train. Two (V)'s side by side on Queens Blvd.

The Lexington Ave. battery runs to/from school bust my balls though. I usually take the (6) from 59th (sometimes 51st) to 96th St. So when I'm at 59th and the train says it's going to run express, I have to get off at 86th and wait for the next train. It also kind of sucks when I'm waiting to go home and one train just skips 96th St. on a battery run. Battery runs aren't so rare on the Lexington Ave. line; I think I see one once every 1-2 months.

Another interesting battery run:

(J) train from Myrtle Avenue to Broadway Junction (2007). We were on the express track and we had green over yellow to switch over onto the local, but because the train was late, we got green over green and ran express to Broadway Junction. It was a one-time experience. Too bad we didn't fly into the station because upon entering Broadway Junction we switched onto the local.

I was on a train that did the exact samething,the only different the train was an Z train.when the train past one station,some guy on the platform gave the train you're No 1.

worst battery run I had,was last Saturday .We stop at Nostrand av The C/O said next stop Uitica av.(I knew other people didn't hear it since it was so low)Some how the train went right by the station,the C/O didn't said anything,at this point I was hoping the train will make a stop at the Junction.The train stop at the station,but didn't open the door,I knew this wasn't a good sign at all....the train started to move again and the people on train didn't know which station the train going to stop at.when we got to Liberty Av the train finally stop and the door open to let all the people out of the train....they had to go on the other side to catch the train....this battery run didn't made no sense at all....how can you skip two important stops along the line??

Best

-(L) from Bway Jct to Montrose, then to Bedford, then to 6 Av

-(M) from Metropolitan to Myrtle-Wyckoff (I was able to catch the 11:30 B26 bus that night...usually I take the 12:20)

-(6) from Parchester to Pelham Bay (its overrated BTW)

-(N) from CI to 59 St (also overrated)

-(A) from 207 to 175 St

Worse

I thought it was gonna be the usual (L) battery from Montrose to Bedford. But when we got to Bedford, the train overshot the platform by about 5 cars (in ATO mode). So we sat there for like 10 mins (no a/c BTW lol) then we started moving, not stopping at Bedford, all the way to 1 Av. When we got there, the T/O told everyone that it was the last stop so everyone was waiting there for the next train to come. I'm, glad that was my station anyway

Here's another I remember: (2) train from President Street to Church Avenue, then to Flatbush Avenue. I got off at Church, however. It was a Redbird and I was just tall enough to look out the window as we flew past the stations. It was awesome.

Here's another I remember: (2) train from President Street to Church Avenue, then to Flatbush Avenue. I got off at Church, however. It was a Redbird and I was just tall enough to look out the window as we flew past the stations. It was awesome.

I've been on so many of those President St to Flatbush Av battery runs. Luckly it stops at Church Av. Also, I remember the Redbirds on the (2)/(5). Man how I miss them!

I've been on so many of those President St to Flatbush Av battery runs. Luckly it stops at Church Av. Also, I remember the Redbirds on the (2)/(5). Man how I miss them!

Same here. I lived along the (2)/<5> until 2000. Even though Church Avenue isn't my home station anymore I'm extremely glad they made the (5) go to Brooklyn all day on weekdays.

On my way home from school almost everyday I saw a battery run on the (6)<6> lines from 86th -125th Streets. Funny thing was it was like the same 3 trains everyday. But I remember once like in March that everyone was waiting like 35 mins for an uptown 6 train to come at 86th (i get off the express and get the local to 103rd) like 5 expresses came and left then the <6> came and it skipped and it didn't slow speed or nothin (I found out by my friend he was on that train and it ran express from 42nd - 59th - 125th streets) then the (6) came and ran express from 86th - 125th... to make a long story short i waited like 45 mins for my (6) train to finaaly come that made all local stops (the train dragged through the tunnels and when we got to 103rd street there were FDNY and PDNY there saying that downtown (6)<6> train service was running express because of a smoke condition there at 103rd street's downtown platform) the uptown platform was soooo crowded couldnt hardly get on or off the train (and mii being stupid i watched that train was there for like 7 mins lmao)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know I didn't post this before... One morning a few months ago I was on a (5) train at President St. The usual wait ensued when the C/R announced the next stop would be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. Seriously. Cue upset commuters. After a few minutes, he said Franklin Av would be the next stop and it was... but over the intercom you could hear laughter coming from his cab.

Last week I saw a Bronx-bound (5) train skip Franklin Av during Rush Hour.

Yesterday I rode a (6) from Pelham Bay Park that went straight to Westchester Square. Then we did another battery run from St. Mary's St/143 St to 3 Av -138 St because a train that entered service at St. Lawrence Av was directly behind us... [when my train was about to go into the tunnel near Hunts Points Av, the train behind us was already approaching Whitlock Av not far behind.]

Today I did an express battery run - Atlantic Av to Bowling Green on a (5) train. :cool:

Off-topic, I have a bus example. The (Bx12) SBS I rode today went straight from Broadway/207 St to Fordham Rd & University Av. It was announced by a dude who looked alot like a ticket inspector. When I got to the bus stop, it took some 5 minutes or so for a bus to show up when normally there's a bus or two just sitting around. There was a particulary large crowd waiting at 207 St/10th Av. I couldn't help but look back at them as they got skipped... I don't think the B/O even blew the horn or anything.

(F) from 7 Av to Kings Hwy. At each express station, the C/R yelled the word "express" like 20 times.

I LOVE F battery runs. The last one I remember sometime last year was

7th Ave-> Ditmas-> Kings Hwy -> Stillwell.

The last Q I remember sometime last summer was Kings Hwy -> Newkirk -> Church -> Prospect Park ->Atlantic.

I still don't know what happened, but the Q was like 40 mins late going to Manhattan during AM rush. My most vivid memory of that ride is all the pissed faces on the local platforms as they saw the Q whiz by. Not a good morning.

I LOVE F battery runs. The last one I remember sometime last year was

7th Ave-> Ditmas-> Kings Hwy -> Stillwell.

The last Q I remember sometime last summer was Kings Hwy -> Newkirk -> Church -> Prospect Park ->Atlantic.

I still don't know what happened, but the Q was like 40 mins late going to Manhattan during AM rush. My most vivid memory of that ride is all the pissed faces on the local platforms as they saw the Q whiz by. Not a good morning.

Similarly, mine stopped at 7 Avenue, Church Avenue, Kings Highway, and Coney Island. That was the fastest ride on the (F) in my life. The ride was 20~25 minutes versus 35~45 minutes.

Archived