R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I don't understand why people are making a big storm on something that is OBVIOUS!!!

1. 3010-3019 is not in service

2. 3010-3019 is not in any of the yards.

So obviously it's in Bombardier!! 

@Coney Island Av and @Dj Hammers didn't need to share something that it's a no brainer, but thanks anyways.

I do appreciate them for keeping us up to date in terms of the number of r179's that are delivered and in service.

At this point, the J is pretty much 100% NTT's. 

FYI, the MTA is hosting town hall meetings in regards Byford's plan to fix the subway system. I encourage everyone to try to go. This link contains more information:

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-town-hall-subway-1.20571437

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

So just to make sure I'm getting this right:

The (J)(Z) will be all R179s

The (C) will be all 10 car R160s

The (M) and (L) will share R160s

The (G) will have R160s and R32s

The (A) will have R179s and R46s?

No. The (A)  Will have R32’s/R179 (10-car) some R46’s and (C) will be 100%R46

the R143’s will be on the (L) as per usual with the 6 CBTC R160A-1’s. 

8 minutes ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

So just to make sure I'm getting this right:

The (J)(Z) will be all R179s

The (C) will be all 10 car R160s

The (M) and (L) will share R160s

The (G) will have R160s and R32s

The (A) will have R179s and R46s?

Actually the L will have r143's, the M will get the r160's from the L. (Confirmed by MTA).

The A will have r179's, r46's and r32's (Not confirmed by MTA yet, but highly possible and logical)

The C will have either all r46's, all 10 car r160's or a mixed fleet of r46's and 10 car r160's (Not confirmed by MTA), but it will be full length as well as the G. (Confirmed by MTA). 

BTW, this is information from last night's town hall in Queens:

"A centerpiece of Fast Forward will be to swap out much of the subways’ century-old and failure-prone signal system with a modern, computerized equivalent known as Communications-based Train Control, or CBTC. Byford also promised 650 new train cars during the first five years of its implementation." (AMNY)

Also, another thing that's 100% confirmed is that the R42s will stay for Canarsie. They occasionally go to Coney Island for repairs/SMS, so it should pretty evident that the MTA plans to keep them for a little while longer, especially considering they're getting this treatment to extend their service life. 

However, exactly which line they'll go to is subject to change, but they'll most likely go to the (B)

36 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Also, another thing that's 100% confirmed is that the R42s will stay for Canarsie. They occasionally go to Coney Island for repairs/SMS, so it should pretty evident that the MTA plans to keep them for a little while longer, especially considering they're getting this treatment to extend their service life. 

However, exactly which line they'll go to is subject to change, but they'll most likely go to the (B)

When did the MTA confirm this??

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Also, another thing that's 100% confirmed is that the R42s will stay for Canarsie.

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

However, exactly which line they'll go to is subject to change, but they'll most likely go to the (B).

You can't say both.

18 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

especially considering they're getting this treatment to extend their service life. 

It appears to be regular maintenance to my eyes, I highly doubt the (MTA) would send these cold war era subway cars through another SMS or similar (to extend service life) considering there a burden to them at this point, and it would cost a ton to do so. Replacing them with newer cars will simply cost less in the end. And the R179's are still expected to retire all R42's, but if they stay for Canarsie, I don't trust the (MTA) doing that much for them contrary to what you said. Not putting down that theory you made, but we'll have to wait and see as always.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

It appears to be regular maintenance to my eyes, I highly doubt the (MTA) would send these cold war era subway cars through another SMS or similar (to extend service life) considering there a burden to them at this point, and it would cost a ton to do so. Replacing them with newer cars will simply cost less in the end. And the R179's are still expected to retire all R42's, but if they stay for Canarsie, I don't trust the (MTA) doing that much for them contrary to what you said. Not putting down that theory you made, but we'll have to wait and see as always.

I agree 100%. One thing is to be logical and another thing is being biased. I know that many people are kicking and screaming because the r42's have less than a year of life and the r32's have 2 to 3 years of life. At least they should be thankful that they're still in service due to the mess that the MTA made with the r179's. Otherwise, they would've been retired years ago!!

37 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm surprised that the r32's and r42's are still running on the J/Z when there are already enough NTT'S to cover the entire J/Z fleet and more NTT'S are going to the J/Z.

They are still running, but as a severe minority fleet. 

There are only about 8 sets of R32s remaining at ENY, but only 1-3 of them are used. As for the R42s, there are only 6 sets remaining.

16 minutes ago, Lance said:

Oooh, does that mean they're going to go on the (F) line now? /s

No, 8 car trains cannot run on the F. 

Similar testing was done a couple of weeks ago when they had an 8 car train signed up as a B and the B, D trains will most likely be the last trains to get NTT'S due to the "r68 monopoly" at Concourse yard.

20 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Similar testing was done a couple of weeks ago when they had an 8 car train signed up as a B and the B, D trains will most likely be the last trains to get NTT'S due to the "r68 monopoly" at Concourse yard.

41 minutes ago, Lance said:

Oooh, does that mean they're going to go on the (F) line now? /s

(B) trains are based at CIY, FWIW. But yes, neither line is getting NTTs until the 211s come around... 

Edited by RR503

37 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Nope, the joke went over the head

48 minutes ago, VIP said:

I’m surprised the R179’s aren’t being equipped with CBTC compatibility because those cars would be best on the (L) ...it’s gonna be the most reliable line once The shutdown is over...Pass off the R143’s to the (J) and (Z) 

Given how problematic they are, it’s best to keep them on the (J)(Z). The last thing we need to do is to run them on one of the busiest lines while CBTC fails every now and then.

Edited by S78 via Hylan