R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

14 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Lol mostly everyone already knew this. This was a 2017 deadline too.

Now what they don't speak about is the fact these cars aren't trusted to make service to the point what they intended to replace is sticking around until the next new order comes in (211s).

Wow to think that the oldest cars the R32 which is a few years shy from 60 years old is more reliable than cars that are less than 3 years old. I guess a lot of the R179’s were out of service recently because I noticed the (C) has been dominated by R32’s. I’m only basing this off of what I saw last week, when I took the (C) a few times last week and caught all R32. As for the (A) I saw R46’s and R32. 

I’m confident however that once the problems with the R179’s are fixed they will then become one of the most reliable fleets in the system. The R46 used to be considered lemons and now they are holding up pretty well for their age. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MTA and Bombardier are continuing to be slammed by politicians and the media for all the issues with the r179's. Check out these articles:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/12/10/audit--bombardier-delays-cost-mta--35-million-

https://www.amny.com/transportation/mta-ignored-production-issues-of-long-delayed-new-subway-cars-audit/

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Wow to think that the oldest cars the R32 which is a few years shy from 60 years old is more reliable than cars that are less than 3 years old. I guess a lot of the R179’s were out of service recently because I noticed the (C) has been dominated by R32’s. I’m only basing this off of what I saw last week, when I took the (C) a few times last week and caught all R32. As for the (A) I saw R46’s and R32. 

I’m confident however that once the problems with the R179’s are fixed they will then become one of the most reliable fleets in the system. The R46 used to be considered lemons and now they are holding up pretty well for their age. 

Not only the r46's, but also the r68's and the r142's were considered lemons. At least the MTA is working on fixing those issues on the r179's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

On 12/9/2019 at 4:45 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:
On 12/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, m2fwannabe said:

Should have been a delivery this past week.  Probably 3030-34.

I was missed it.  I had a stroke Tuesday and spent almost all week in the hospital.  Need Speech PT.

Nobody there even knew at all about the R-179's.:P

3318-3327 was last I knew as burning-in.

When that starts the 3020-49 will then begin on (A).

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Thank all of you much!:wub:

Things are going well so far.  Can't speak weel yet but MTA still driving me nuts!:drool:

18 hours ago, sub 3777 said:

3035 crossed the GWB just now, headed toward 207th

As I thought there was a delivery the week I was in the hospital.

There should be just only two more delivered.  If Bomb doesn't bomb out the whole order should be complete about December 27 or thereabouts.  Definitely by New Year end.

FINALLY!!!

So there’s two more 10-car sets to be delivered and/or eventually placed into service after testing, correct? Welp, this basically complete the puzzle. I’m sure virtually everyone here is happy to have the (A) get something fresh and new for a change. I sure am too. Although the R179s are in all honestly boring due to their similar features with the R160s. I think the (A) will shine a whole lot better with R211s instead.

Get rid of some more of those crappy 75 foot R46s to Coney Island or Jamaica sooner or later! 13 sets total will do the trick with the R179s taking their place! 😛 😛😛

52 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

So there’s two more 10-car sets to be delivered and/or eventually placed into service after testing, correct? Welp, this basically complete the puzzle. I’m sure virtually everyone here is happy to have the (A) get something fresh and new for a change. I sure am too. Although the R179s are in all honestly boring due to their similar features with the R160s. I think the (A) will shine a whole lot better with R211s instead.

Get rid of some more of those crappy 75 foot R46s to Coney Island or Jamaica sooner or later! 13 sets total will do the trick with the R179s taking their place! 😛 😛😛

Im thinking the A-A sets, If the (G) 100% R46's then I wouldn't be surprised if they make it 6 car trains like pre December 2001. it would make alot of sense. there's 26 A-A cars you add that to the already 52 cars required to run on the (G). that would be 78 cars, exactly 13 trainsets. only issue is spares, I wouldn't be surprised if they add some 8 car R32's ( only gonna need 50 cars, 6 8 car trains as spares).

it would be idiotic for them not to do this since there's extra cars and they can easily move 6 trains of R179's to the (C) to bump those 6 trains of R32's to CI for the (G).

the (G) needs more cars, there's no excuses. adding 2 cars wouldn't cost that much money.

Edited by R32 3838

On 12/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The MTA and Bombardier are continuing to be slammed by politicians and the media for all the issues with the r179's. Check out these articles:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/12/10/audit--bombardier-delays-cost-mta--35-million-

https://www.amny.com/transportation/mta-ignored-production-issues-of-long-delayed-new-subway-cars-audit/

Scott Stringer for Mayor

22 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

The best chance to see all the R179 for the (A) is rush hours. You basically see then back to back now & does anybody know wassup with 3262-3267 that set just been sitting in Pitkin yard for like the longest 

I noticed that too. This morning around 10:00, I took the (A) southbound to work. I let three trains go before I got on (I was running early and they all came within a 10-minute period). They were all R46s. I was waiting at 59th St and saw a northbound R179 (A). Almost every other northbound (A) I saw were R179s as well, except for the one that pulled out when I got off at Chambers. I guess they’re running them in clusters.

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Im thinking the A-A sets, If the (G) 100% R46's then I wouldn't be surprised if they make it 6 car trains like pre December 2001. it would make alot of sense. there's 26 A-A cars you add that to the already 52 cars required to run on the (G). that would be 78 cars, exactly 13 trainsets. only issue is spares, I wouldn't be surprised if they add some 8 car R32's ( only gonna need 50 cars, 6 8 car trains as spares).

it would be idiotic for them not to do this since there's extra cars and they can easily move 6 trains of R179's to the (C) to bump those 6 trains of R32's to CI for the (G).

the (G) needs more cars, there's no excuses. adding 2 cars wouldn't cost that much money.

Fully agree with that! Now that R46s are heading to CI, we have the chance to increase capacity on the (G) by sending the R46 pairs there. 

16 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Wow, I didn't know that the r46's can run as 6 car trains. 

And yes, the G and C need longer trains. It will most likely happen with the r211's, when the G gets the 8 car r179's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983