R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

According to a contact, the R179s are being built at La Pocatière - a little east of Québec City - which specializes in fabricating stainless steel railway carbodies, then trucked down to Plattsburgh for finishing. So I guess there is a method to Bombardier's madness after all. My mistake.

As for the R160s, the Alstom cars were manufactured in Brazil and outfitted in Hornell. I suspect the R179s will be much the same.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, look at the front of the R179. It has a different front to it then the pictures we originally saw in one of the MTA's PDF Files. Are they building the R179's with different front ends?

This is the same front as what was seen in Bombardiers concept.

This is the same front as what was seen in Bombardiers concept.

But has it been revised? Maybe the car being trucked was from the rejected test train?

23944310424_907afcd91f.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-23 at 8.32.52 PM

24490179791_d9fc0cb8f3.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-23 at 8.33.11 PM

Looks like they've reverted to the R160 look for the front bonnet, judging from the top picture. The mockup looked like the one in the (apparently flipped) lower photo. Anyone know more about this?

Interesting how one of the cars had the "R160' blind end while the other had the same new design the trucked one had. (@0:01)

It doesn't seem as angular as the trucked one or the mock up for the front either, more like an updated R160. Wasn't that mock up from a couple years back? I'm thinking the angular face was part of the rejected design and we're seeing the final design now. The angular version looks heavier, maybe that's one of the reasons the first test train got rejected.

Edited by DJ Flxible

It doesn't seem as angular as the trucked one or the mock up for the front either, more like an updated R160. Wasn't that mock up from a couple years back? I'm thinking the angular face was part of the rejected design and we're seeing the final design now. The angular version looks heavier, maybe that's one of the reasons the first test train got rejected.

I was referring to the non cab cars. The one on the left is the standard flat surface R160 design while the one towards the right looks like this:

12794533_967765809977041_318783126859606

Note the plastic molding on these cars which isn't on the R160.

Interesting how one of the cars had the "R160' blind end while the other had the same new design the trucked one had. (@0:01)

I see the "R160" blind end design on all blind ends.

Edited by RTS9000