R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the double post, I didn't see these extras that needed my attention, ahem:

R160U's = R160 Upgraded.
Or
R160S's = R160 Second Generation.

I turn your attention to every SMEE from R10-R42 and by extension, the R62/A and R68/A.

Slight differences mechanically but overall, the same. Every now and then, you'd get a new look. The R62 and R68 was a return to basics.

It seems you guys have forgotten that the R179 is a continuation of the R160 order hence why the cars are similar in appearance.

The R143, R160, and R179 are part of a series. It's only natural that they would be almost the same. This strengthens my theory that cars of similar design will be placed closer together in number, with a new design (or somewhat new) in look and mechanics will gain a new first digit. When I hear things like "The R211 will be the next generation" and "most technologically advanced to date", this says that the R1XX series were buildups to that point. All the best parts of the R1XX series placed together on the new R2XX train. Then, the process will repeat. But alas, just a theory.

Thanks again! But, unfortunately, as I was implying, I still can't see in that picture the actual LCD video screen. Admittedly the length and shape of the whole black glass area in that 179 photo looks exactly the same as the FINDs on the 160s (which do indeed include LCD video screens), but my family originates from Missouri.

If "What you see on the R160 is what you will see on the R179" isn't enough, I don;t know what to tell you. I don't like going in circles, so I'll end it there.

Edited by LTA1992

Not all R-contract numbers are used for subway cars. They're also used for ornery subway-related things like motors, flat cars, crane cars, CWR cars, locomotives, etc. The overhead cranes in Coney Island shops have an R-contract, and not all numbers are generally used. On more than one occasion they put out an order for something miscellaneous and cancelled it.

Will the (A) get the R211s too?

According to the (A)(C) line review, most likely so.

Looking over the review, it seems the (A) is the one getting the R211s to replace the R46 while the (C) will get the R179s to replace the R32s. I'm not sure if some of the R160s currently on the (C) will stick around to provide supplemental service once the R179s take over the line.