R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Jamaica might as well maintain those R160's as well because they already have R160's.

Doesn't the (F) have both Coney Island and Jamaica as it's yard?

Those (F) Trains are stored there as Put Ins. They're not based out of CIY because otherwise they would've been running on the (N)(Q) lines as well if that was the case

Same thing with Those (D) Trains stored at CIY and almost every line/subway cars that gets stored in a Second yard. The only line that technically has its work done at 2 yards is the (A) because 207th Street actually does certain work on their R46s that Pitkin doesn't do.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamaica does not touch those ENY R160's, they only lay up 3 sets in the yard, the rest are laid up underground and in fresh pond yard

ENY is keeping a few sets of R32's, the rest are ether going back to the (A) or Jamaica, they can't currently go to CI since they're banned on all of their routes due to the Montague Tube clearance issue unless that issue is fixed by the time the R179's start rolling in

R179's have finished their structural testing and are now moving on to the inspection phase. Car numbers are undecided but are between the 3000 and the 4000 series.

They should start number 2951 or 2950 so that way they maximize the available numbers they have

Edited by JayJay85

R179's have finished their structural testing and are now moving on to the inspection phase. Car numbers are undecided but are between the 3000 and the 4000 series.

I bet good money it will be 3001-3290 or 3311-3300 (if they still view the R110Bs as active) with the R211s picking up 3301-4240...

I thought the order was a full 300 cars. Shouldn't that be 3001-3300? I sure hope the R179 order wasn't reduced by 10 cars, given how tight the spare factor currently is. If anything, Bombardier should be offering to build 10 more cars (two more 5-car sets) as compensation for the delays in the order, but given how much it costs to make just one subway car, I doubt they would be so noble to take that big of a financial loss. Hopefully the 5-car sets are the first to come because we really need them with the (Q) extension to 96th & 2nd nearing completion.

I'd be very surprised if they still view the R110Bs as active since most of them have become glorified static displays.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I thought the order was a full 300 cars. Shouldn't that be 3001-3300? I sure hope the R179 order wasn't reduced by 10 cars, given how tight the spare factor currently is. If anything, Bombardier should be offering to build 10 more cars (two more 5-car sets) as compensation for the delays in the order, but given how much it costs to make just one subway car, I doubt they would be so noble to take that big of a financial loss. Hopefully the 5-car sets are the first to come because we really need them with the (Q) extension to 96th & 2nd nearing completion.

I'd be very surprised if they still view the R110Bs as active since most of them have become glorified static displays.

There hasn't been any news of any changes to the car order, so it's more than likely still 300 cars.

I could have sworn it was 290 (40 5-car and 250 4-car) but I guess I'm wrong...

3001-3300 it is...

This was the original envisioning of the contract:

The contract specified the purchase of 290 cars with 250 arranged as 5 car sets and the remaining 40 arranged in four car sets, with the 50 Option I cars arranged in 5 car sets. There was also a second option for 80 additional cars, pending funding.

• 2 weeks later...

NYCTF Exclusive!!!

Good morning ladies and gentleman. According to new information I have received from Bombardier, they are aggresively tackleing the previous R179 problems and are are now confident they can bid on the R211 contract along with Kawasaki!

Of course they are going to bid on it. It's a massive car order. However, I think the Chinese may bid as well which will put both Bombardier and Kawasaki at disadvantage price wise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading through these threads, and one thing in particular seems odd to me. Why is it that the R42s are slated to be retired first once enough R179s get here? The R32s have a lower MDBF, and the 42s appear to be currently going through heavy SMS. As much as I like the R32s, I feel like it would make more sense to get rid of the worst performing 32s first, then the better ones, and kill the 42s last.

Side question --- how many of the 290 R32/42s will stay after the R179 order is complete?

I have been reading through these threads, and one thing in particular seems odd to me. Why is it that the R42s are slated to be retired first once enough R179s get here? The R32s have a lower MDBF, and the 42s appear to be currently going through heavy SMS. As much as I like the R32s, I feel like it would make more sense to get rid of the worst performing 32s first, then the better ones, and kill the 42s last.

Side question --- how many of the 290 R32/42s will stay after the R179 order is complete?

There are more R32's here than R42's. R42's were originally all suppose to be scrapped and the ones that managed to get saved were in real bad shape compared to the R32's. ENY has been able to keep them up so far and now they run throughout the day and on weekends. About 2-3 years ago it was rare to see an R42 outside of rush especially when (J) was all R160.

And there are going to be R32's that get retired when the R179's come in. The remaining R32's are suppose to be for service increases and a increased spare factor. They should all be gone when the R211's arrive.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

There are more R32's here than R42's. R42's were originally all suppose to be scrapped and the ones that managed to get saved were in real bad shape compared to the R32's. ENY has been able to keep them up so far and now they run throughout the day and on weekends. About 2-3 years ago it was rare to see an R42 outside of rush especially when (J) was all R160.

And there are going to be R32's that get retired when the R179's come in. The remaining R32's are suppose to be for service increases and a increased spare factor. They should all be gone when the R211's arrive.

Right, but from what I understand, all of the R42s and only a few dozen R32s are supposed to go. So that's somewhere around 80-90 cars that will retire once the R179s come in. That means that about 80-90 R32s could be retired, keeping the 50 R42s and the remaining ~150 R32s.

And even though the R42s look terrible (which is being taken care of with the recent SMS), they have had a higher MDBF than the R32s for some time now. The resulting lower maintenance costs for the 60' SMEE fleet would certainly offset any costs involved in keeping parts, etc. for the R42 fleet.

Or am I completely and totally mistaken, lol?

Right, but from what I understand, all of the R42s and only a few dozen R32s are supposed to go. So that's somewhere around 80-90 cars that will retire once the R179s come in. That means that about 80-90 R32s could be retired, keeping the 50 R42s and the remaining ~150 R32s.

And even though the R42s look terrible (which is being taken care of with the recent SMS), they have had a higher MDBF than the R32s for some time now. The resulting lower maintenance costs for the 60' SMEE fleet would certainly offset any costs involved in keeping parts, etc. for the R42 fleet.

Or am I completely and totally mistaken, lol?

I see what you are talking about. The reason why the MTA wants to retire all of the R42's before hand is the complaint that they get from riders. When the R160/R32 swap happened in the summer, it was to give (C) riders the new R160's so they could stop whining and to give the R32's a break from the underground. Now for the particular reason why the R42's are all going to be retired is (correct me if I'm wrong.) to balance out the NTT fleet on the (J)(Z) and (C).