R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I see what you are talking about. The reason why the MTA wants to retire all of the R42's before hand is the complaint that they get from riders. When the R160/R32 swap happened in the summer, it was to give (C) riders the new R160's so they could stop whining and to give the R32's a break from the underground. Now for the particular reason why the R42's are all going to be retired is (correct me if I'm wrong.) to balance out the NTT fleet on the (J)(Z) and (C).

Right now, the (C) is about half-and-half R32 and R160, and the (J)(Z) is roughly two-thirds R32/42 and one-third R160. All of the 4-car R179s are supposed to go to 207th Street for the (C), so the (J)(Z) will almost certainly get some R32s from the (C). I'm not sure how the (MTA) would balance out the NTT/SMEE fleets on the (J)(Z) unless a bunch of R32/42s move to another yard, which (as far as I know) is pretty unlikely. Edited by Amtrak706

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, the (C) is about half-and-half R32 and R160, and the (J)(Z) is roughly two-thirds R32/42 and one-third R160. All of the 4-car R179s are supposed to go to 207th Street for the (C), so the (J)(Z) will almost certainly get some R32s from the (C). I'm not sure how the (MTA) would balance out the NTT/SMEE fleets on the (J)(Z) unless a bunch of R32/42s move to another yard, which (as far as I know) is pretty unlikely.

I think it was said before but the R32's at ENY are in better shape than the ones 207 have. The remaining R32's that are staying will probably be the ones ENY have. Where would they go who knows.

We already know that the upcoming R179's is suppose to replace the fleet on the (C) sending the R160's back to ENY and ENY will get a few sets themselves. The only other route that comes to my head is the (A).

I am not sure if it was confirmed where those 5 car R179s would go but I always believed it would be the (A) to do one of two things.

1. The R179s would retire the worst performing R46's.

2. The R179s would go to the (A) bumping R46's to the Jamaica which would then send some R160's to Coney Island for the (Q) extension.

The only reason I believe they would be best for the (A) is because Piktin is already used to store and sometimes maintain some cars the (C) uses.

I think it was said before but the R32's at ENY are in better shape than the ones 207 have. The remaining R32's that are staying will probably be the ones ENY have. Where would they go who knows.

We already know that the upcoming R179's is suppose to replace the fleet on the (C) sending the R160's back to ENY and ENY will get a few sets themselves. The only other route that comes to my head is the (A).

I am not sure if it was confirmed where those 5 car R179s would go but I always believed it would be the (A) to do one of two things.

2. The R179s would go to the (A) bumping R46's to the Jamaica which would then send some R160's to Coney Island for the (Q) extension.

The only reason I believe they would be best for the (A) is because Piktin is already used to store and sometimes maintain some cars the (C) uses.

Ah, that makes more sense. So a fair amount of SMEEs from ENY will be staying after the R179s arrive. I still don't get why they wouldn't compose that fleet of the 50 R42s plus however many of the best performing R32s are necessary, but I guess time will tell.

That would be interesting if a few R46s were retired. I would assume that their MDBF is a lot better than that of the R32s and R42s but I haven't actually seen the stats on that.

As far as I know (ENY can't set it straight) all R42s are as good as gone once R179's hit.

And that makes sense, considering I've just found out my own argument is BS, lmao:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/160222_1000_Transit.pdf

Page 28 shows that R42s have a slightly worse MDBF than R32s as of December.

Oops. 

They have been fixing up the R42s lately - at the least cosmetically - so it seems like at least some may stay. We just don't know yet, though.

They seem to be in better shape than they were in 2010. I remember catching a R42 only once outside of rush hour on the (J) and now I see them all day on the (J). Whatever work ENY and maintance facility (Coney Island) did really helped those R42's out but they would definitely be the first to leave.

I remember when Jamaica had R40M's and R42's and some of them would bump and jerk like crazy. I bet if the MTA didn't scrap so many R32's right away the R32's would have even replace the 50 R42's that were saved.

The 5-Car R179s exist for the sole reason of fleet expansion for Second Avenue phase I. Therefore, they aren't technically replacing anything.

Not one R32 is being scrapped, if the (L) shutsdown in 2018, they will need the whole entire R32 fleet with the majority on the (A) and a portion on the (J)

The 8 car R179's are for the (C),(J),(M),(L) and (Z)

The 10 car R179's are for the (A)

If the (L) gets shutdown according to the MTA, the G will have two more cars added, this means the (G) will have to get R46's again to make six car train of 75 footers meaning the (A) looses more R46's on top of the 32 cars that are going to Jamaica

Project Update:

The new R179 has reportedly passed the audit inspection, or is on the way to passing it. At this time all is going as plan, and Bombardier will continue to build cars for to accelerate delivery. As I previously posted and told everyone to mark my words, it will not take as long as the news told everyone it would.

Bombardier is building all of our new cars now, and any configuration changes that may be required will be worked into the cars parallel as they come off the assembly line.  Pilot due in 90 days. Total delivery still expected by summer 2018.

Full overview coming this evening!  B-)

Project Update:

The new R179 has reportedly passed the audit inspection, or is on the way to passing it. At this time all is going as plan, and Bombardier will continue to build cars for to accelerate delivery. As I previously posted and told everyone to mark my words, it will not take as long as the news told everyone it would.

Bombardier is building all of our new cars now, and any configuration changes that may be required will be worked into the cars parallel as they come off the assembly line.  Pilot due in 90 days. Total delivery still expected by summer 2018.

Full overview coming this evening!  B-)

Just counted the number of days from today; the pilot should arrive on June 2nd.

Can't wait for more news! :)

If Bombardier's track record is anything to go by, it will be the year 2118 and there will still be no R179s.

I think you need a refresher course after that bad joke sir. Their track record, despite slow starts, shows that their products go on to become some of the best in the system.

The R62 delay was because it was their first time building stainless steel cars and personnel from Kawasaki had to supervise. Those cars went on to have some of the highest MDBF during their prime.

I have no clue about the R142s, but any issues on the property were just growing pains.

Lastly, I don't know where people are getting that they are keeping ALL of the R32s. Even with the (L) shutdown, that's still too many cars. We do not know how many R32s will remain as no one has ever explicitly stated that they all will remain.

I think the (L) shutdown an the R179 fleet could be good reason to get rid of the R32 if not, a fraction of the total we have today. For all we know, the (MTA) can have the (M) go to canarsie (have the (Z) as its own route and go to Metropolitan Avenue as its temporary replacement for the (M) ) if it's not a full shut down. However, I don't think the lettering is up to the (MTA) honestly. It's a crazy plan but you know half the passenger traffic from Canarsie transfers at Broadway Junction from the (A) and (J) and the (L) is most empty until Myrtle-Wyckoff so... If it's only tunnel redevelopment they're aiming at, this would be a solution that can work during the shutdown....

Yeah, I have no clue where people are getting this rumor that all of the R32s are staying. With the arrival of the R179s, there is no need for all 222 R32s to be kept. If they choose to completely shutdown the 14th Street tubes, then that also frees up some R143s and R160s for service on the (G) and surrounding lines (where capacity is available) with R32s filling out those needs until the R211s get here.

Again, the R160's and R143's are staying in the eastern division with the ones on the (C) coming back, the (A)/© will see service increases as well as the (J) and (M), the (G) according to the MTA spokesperson will go to 6 cars (meaning the R46's are going back) thus the (A) loosing more R46's, the (A) would get the R32's in return for the loss of R46's as the 10 car R179's pushes 32 R46's out to Jamaica (subject to change), the (A) is going to need a massive amount of R32's since its a very demanding line thus increasing the spare factor, remember when they did the swap with the (C) back in 2011-2012 the (A) needed extra equipment from different yards, they already took a pair or two of R32's OOS for parts.

And from various ta sources have told me and others the same exact thing about ta keeping the whole fleet of R32's