SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking that the W could be used for an extension down to South Brooklyn to help the D / R out in the West End line during rush hour. If they did that then you could probably see some service improvements down in Bklyn. Like I said, it was a thought I had in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

In terms of Cortlandt Street, the (MTA) has made a decent amount of progress. A 2018 opening date does not seem unreasonable.

Demolition of the temporary PATH portal appears to be going smoothly, which will hopefully allow the (MTA) to begin the real work on time. The skeleton has long since been completed, but it needs flesh and skin. I dare say that this station will be the coolest and most modern-looking in the system once completed. In conjunction with South Ferry to the south and Hudson Yards to the north, the west side will see three squeaky clean stations this decade.

So on top of the (7) being split between Hunters Point Av and Queensboro Plz, it's also going express in both directions.

To Queensboro, it's going express from 74 St to Queensboro.

To Flushing, it's going express from 74 St to Willets Point.

...and for some reason, we passed a train at 46 St on the local track about 70% in the station. Dunno what that's about.

Just when you thought sign production couldn't get any worse, they give you this gem  <_<

<pic removed>

Where is this? DeKalb Av? Either way, it's really sad. It would really look better if the whole thing was replaced entirely with one that didn't have so much empty space.

My guess is that sign had to be a certain size to cover up the one beneath it, which raises the question of why they couldn't bother removing the old one instead of the tin cover-up, but alas... Technically it's set to standards, just with wildly too much space.

If I had to guess what was behind this sign, perhaps it was an edited version of this sign:

img_32386.jpg

Date Taken: 2004.07.24

Credit: Richard Panse

As for your other question, I have three words for you: not my job. Knowing the MTA, there's probably three different jobs for this simple replacement: one to install the brackets that hold the sign, another to install the sign and one to place these cover-ups.

Honestly, I wish they'd just go back to using Akzidenz-Grotesk for everything: stations, rollsigns, maps, route bullets... Helvetica's too generic.

Akzidenz and Helvetica are not that dissimilar to each other. The only real difference is the shape of some of the letters, the J and Q most obviously, along with the angles of the end points. It's not as though Akzidenz/Standard is a completely different font like DIN for instance.

I was thinking that the W could be used for an extension down to South Brooklyn to help the D / R out in the West End line during rush hour. If they did that then you could probably see some service improvements down in Bklyn. Like I said, it was a thought I had in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That's one of the prevailing service improvements most people post here. The only problem is that whatever problems affect the (R) would also affect the (W) since they would run together for most of their routes. That's why the alternative is always another route from Nassau St.

...and for some reason, we passed a train at 46 St on the local track about 70% in the station. Dunno what that's about.

Maybe CBTC testing?

On another note, the station signals that only show yellow or red, why do some stations have them mid-platform, and others have them just before the platform?

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

The (6) vs <6> setup in the Bronx really needs to be thought through. <6> trains are routinely more crowded then their local counterparts leaving 125, some riders transfer from (6) to <6> trains at Hunts Point and Parkchester and trains routinely get held due to "train traffic" because (6) trains have to crossover north of Parkchester and north of Westchester Sq trains get held when there's two sitting in PBP with northbound trains approaching. Both holds can easily add 5-10 minutes to trips and given the fact that seats are more difficult to obtain these days (epsecially sitting in the front half of the train) it makes the ride very inconvenient and almost as bad as the other IRT lines in the Bronx. 

Where is this? DeKalb Av? Either way, it's really sad. It would really look better if the whole thing was replaced entirely with one that didn't have so much empty space.

This is 9th Street. The original cover-up was virtually the same but had "late nights take (D)(N) to 36 St for (R) " underneath the top line of text and instead of the horrible spacing between sections, everything was left-justified...

Edited by Around the Horn