• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't figure out how to edit on mobile but the (R) program now says

BAY RIDGE-95 ST

QUEENS BLVD LOCAL

59 ST / BWAY LCL

59 ST / BWAY LCL scrolls.

One more AAS update, this time on the (2)

Trains to Flatbush Av now say "This is a Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue bound (2) *local* train." But this may be exclusive to the program where the (2) originates from E 180/Dyre.

Seems the TA went all out with AAS updates (yet EXP and LCL are still abbreviated)

BAY RIDGE-95 ST

QUEENS BLVD LOCAL

59 ST / BWAY LCL

Not only that, on the FIND, for Jackson Heights the bus transfers read "Q70 • Q47 SBS to LGA" and the announcement is quieter. Lex and 59 transfers read "N•4•5•6•Walk to F Q". Interesting.

On another note the new normal Manhattan bound (E) program reads verbatim (no scrolling, better than the old way IMO)

(E) WORLD TRADE CTR

(E) QUEENS BLVD EXP

(E) 53RD ST/8 AV LOCAL

And via 63rd still only says VIA 63RD ST VIA 6 AV

So much inconsistency with all the new programs

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

BAY RIDGE-95 ST

QUEENS BLVD LOCAL

59 ST / BWAY LCL

Is it really necessary to include 59 Street even though we all know is going through the Broadway line? Just put BROADWAY LOCAL and we won't have this problem.

Just out of curiosity, when the R32 and R38 were both on the (C), did they run them in mixed trains?

(i.e. 2 R32 married pairs and two R38 married pairs)

Not that I remember for the most part late 80s -2ks Bur towards the end I remember seeing mixed trains. Last time I saw a R38 saw in a mix train with R32s.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

About the R32s: Can someone clarify the details of the whole R32 to the (B) thing? (Like what's happening to the other cars and when is this happening)

If I understand it correctly, when the R179's arrive on property, the majority will go to the  (C)(J) and  (Z). The R32's from those lines will go to the  (B), with the R68/As from the  (B) going to the  (G) to make full 8 car trains for the duration of the  (L) train's 14th Street Tunnel shutdown. This would probably all happen in 2018-19.

Anyone with more info, feel free to correct me if I interpret it wrong.

Not that I remember for the most part late 80s -2ks Bur towards the end I remember seeing mixed trains. Last time I saw a R38 saw in a mix train with R32s.

*Last time I saw a R38 it was mixed in with a train of R32s sorry for the typo.

Just out of curiosity, when the R32 and R38 were both on the (C), did they run them in mixed trains?

(i.e. 2 R32 married pairs and two R38 married pairs)

I remember mixed trains as early as 2004 or so. They weren't as common as solid trains until 2007-09 when cars started to go. I don't know if this was the train you saw, but the very last R38 in passenger service was just one pair, with the other 3 pairs on that (C) being R32s. Edited by Amtrak706

All I really remember were mixed sets, honestly. Could only tell them apart by the steel ribbing on the side, which would often taper off mid-train and mean an R38. And, of course, those great NYCTA logos up front. I've got one of those at home and it's a great reminder of those cars.

All I really remember were mixed sets, honestly. Could only tell them apart by the steel ribbing on the side, which would often taper off mid-train and mean an R38. And, of course, those great NYCTA logos up front. I've got one of those at home and it's a great reminder of those cars.

Nice, how did you get one? And yeah, I used to ride those cars a lot. They were fast and sharp-looking, but they were really hanging on by a thread in their last days. For whatever reason I don't think they ever ran on the (A) in mixed sets.

I remember riding on a solid R38 uptown (C) in 2007 or so, just before the (C) temporarily got all those R40s and R42s. As we were coming into 125 St, the brakes seemed not to be fully applying. We ended up just past the 10-car punch box, and the T/O had to come out of the cab and open a passenger window to get our lineup.

Is it really necessary to include 59 Street even though we all know is going through the Broadway line? Just put BROADWAY LOCAL and we won't have this problem.

I would say yes since Broadway is accessible through both 60th st and 63rd St, and for consistency (despite the pack thereof in signage lately)

I remember mixed trains as early as 2004 or so. They weren't as common as solid trains until 2007-09 when cars started to go. I don't know if this was the train you saw, but the very last R38 in passenger service was just one pair, with the other 3 pairs on that (C) being R32s.

It's possible I wasn't in NYC from 1998-2002 and really in and out of NYC until about 2010 so I wasn't riding the subway often for about a decade so I could be wrong. I used to take the (A)(C) almost daily when I was in High School I was still living in Riverdale at that time 1993-1998 I don't remember too many mixed trains. But then again I didn't know what an R32 or R whatever was back then. I'm going off of what I know now. (Shrugs)  I remember the R110B's on the (A) and (C) as well.

Edited by RailRunRob

It's possible I wasn't in NYC from 1998-2002 and really in and out of NYC until about 2010 so I wasn't riding the subway often for about a decade so I could be wrong. I used to take the (A)(C) almost daily when I was in High School I was still living in Riverdale at that time 1993-1998 I don't remember too many mixed trains. But then again I didn't know what an R32 or R whatever was back them. I'm going off of what I know now. (Shrugs)  I remember the R110B's on the (A) and (C) as well.

Yeah I'm not sure exactly when it started. And I never got the chance to ride an R110B. Interesting that the C/R boards marked "R-110" used to be everywhere on the (A)(C) until fairly recently.

Nice, how did you get one? And yeah, I used to ride those cars a lot. They were fast and sharp-looking, but they were really hanging on by a thread in their last days. For whatever reason I don't think they ever ran on the (A) in mixed sets.

They ran mixed R32/R38 sets many times on the (A) Train.

The mix sets actually started to become more common from around 2005 until retirement although it has happened previous years occasionally. 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

BAY RIDGE-95 ST

QUEENS BLVD LOCAL

59 ST / BWAY LCL

Why? That should be short enough to fit on the signs without scrolling across. Sounds like someone added too many spaces at the end, much like they did with the interior signs in regards to a couple of the Charlie PSAs.

One more AAS update, this time on the (2)

Trains to Flatbush Av now say "This is a Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue bound (2) *local* train." But this may be exclusive to the program where the (2) originates from E 180/Dyre.

Seems the TA went all out with AAS updates (yet EXP and LCL are still abbreviated)

And then they say the announcements are too long... "This is a Flatbush Av-bound (2) train." would suffice. Local is its normal service pattern and everyone knows it goes to Brooklyn College.

Just when you get rid of the scrolling (E)'s, here come the scrolling ®'s

I don't know why they feel the need to have the signs scroll across the display like that. Not only does it take longer to fully scroll than to flash like they used to, it adds unnecessary information to the signs.

They ran mixed R32/R38 sets many times on the (A) Train.

The mix sets actually started to become more common from around 2005 until retirement although it has happened previous years occasionally. 

I definitely remember that...And when the  (C) started to  see R42 and the R44 Before their retirement...

Those were the days R38/R40 Slant and Modified versions/R44 Subway cars. R44 could've still been around but had to go because of mechanical issue and bad conditions. Good thing we have plenty of the other twins lookalike R46 in the Subway.

However we still do have R44's in Staten Island.

Why? That should be short enough to fit on the signs without scrolling across. Sounds like someone added too many spaces at the end, much like they did with the interior signs in regards to a couple of the Charlie PSAs.

Broadway is fully spelled out. Same thing for the Brooklyn bound  (N), which now reads "BROADWAY/4 AV EXP" and then "VIA SEA BEACH".