SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Today I rode a 160 on the (F) where one sign inside the car was stuck on the (E) to Jamaica Center showing the next stop as, 5th Ave - 53rd (But the time was correct though) while the other sign showed the correct signage for the (F), FIND said please listen to manual announcements, I wonder what causes such an bizarre malfunction of the signs?

Couple weeks ago for the first time in years I seen a 160 with an stuck FIND, it was an E train but the FIND was stuck on the (F) line :lol:  

Last week I was on an E with a stuck find to the (F).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't be fooled with that ADA stuff- a blind person can still hear, and a deaf person can still read.  If you think the ADA specifically mandates automated as opposed to audible announcements, and LED signs as opposed to readable signs, you're interpreting the law opportunistically.

And the law is still subject to how the executive branch interprets it- some administrations are overzealous, others are not diligent enough.

The aim of the ADA is honorable, but some of the requirements have been unnecessarily broad.

Unfortunately, with the current clowns running the country, we'll be lucky if any legislation designed to help the challenged will be left standing.

It's not about using gadgets and gizmos to display information, but rather that this information is conveyed as clearly as possible. That's what the ADA laws have sought to accomplish. Also, it's not just a matter of the ADA; one has to look at the logistics and the practicality of one form of information conveyance over another. Using your previous examples, static line strip maps are useless on car fleets that share trains between different lines. That's why there are FINDs on the 160s and the incoming 179s. An extensive speech program for incoming conductors to improve their diction when making announcements would be cost-inefficient and a complete waste of resources, hence the move over to automated announcements.

I don't mean to single you out specifically, but I'm not sure what the problem is with making the system more user-friendly. Sure, the old ways worked back in the day. That does not mean we should continue to settle for what was the norm of decades past.

Edited by Lance

Does anyone here have a scanner/listen to NYCT radio transmissions? Cuz if regular railfans have it, then why not MTA railfans?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

There's no need for scanners to fan the NYC subway, scanners are useful when fanning freight trains as they don't have an public schedule and that's the easiest way to know the whereabouts of an Freight train to take photos/videos of them.

Their also quite expensive, their use to be a link online to the scanner feed for the IRT, it wasn't even that active most of the time and the chatter wasn't that interesting TBH. I wouldn't want to spend 100+ dollars on an device to listen to what I heard on that scanner.

Also a lot of NYC railfans don't care for freight trains, seems like only a handful run in the five boroughs weekly and there isn't a lot of public places you could take photos/videos of them, from what I understand in other parts of the country some rail lines see 100+ freight trains a day, I don't think NYC sees that many freight trains in a week  :lol:  

Edited by trainfan22

Also a lot of NYC railfans don't care for freight trains, seems like only a handful run in the five boroughs weekly and there isn't a lot of public places you could take photos/videos of them, from what I understand in other parts of the country some rail lines see 100+ freight trains a day, I don't think NYC sees that many freight trains in a week  :lol:

You'd be surprised; the LIRR Bay Ridge and Lower Montauk Branches see a few trains a day and the MNRR Hudson Line has several freight trains every weeknight.

Edited by R10 2952

There's no need for scanners to fan the NYC subway, scanners are useful when fanning freight trains as they don't have an public schedule and that's the easiest way to know the whereabouts of an Freight train to take photos/videos of them.

Their also quite expensive, their use to be a link online to the scanner feed for the IRT, it wasn't even that active most of the time and the chatter wasn't that interesting TBH. I wouldn't want to spend 100+ dollars on an device to listen to what I heard on that scanner.

Wouldn't it be useful to listen to radio chatter to find out about unplanned service changes in advance, or would a simple notification from the MTA website or announcement be sufficient?

Wouldn't it be useful to listen to radio chatter to find out about unplanned service changes in advance, or would a simple notification from the MTA website or announcement be sufficient?

I was under the impression that T/Os and conductors are not told the whole story anyways, so I don't think that this would be any better than the current setup.

I was under the impression that T/Os and conductors are not told the whole story anyways, so I don't think that this would be any better than the current setup.

That may be the heart of the problem with communicating information to customers. Even the train operators don’t know!

There were (2) trains going to both 241 St and Dyre Av for about 1 hour Monday morning between 6-7am. There were also (2) trains leaving both 241 St (0401,0421) and Dyre Av (0400,0420) around the same time. MTA stopped the (5) service from 241 St earlier than expected, leading to excess (2) trains. Even worse northbound with (2) trains to 241 St and Dyre Av bunching up. The (2)(5) swap isn't even consistent with the scheduling. They can extend Friday night (5) service to Bowling Green to maintain (5) service in Manhattan, but won't do the same thing on Monday Morning. Why bother running the Dyre shuttle for one hour S/B and duplicate N/B shuttles while through service is running. Just run the (5) to/from Bowling Green after the G/O ends to maintain 20 minute headways until the AM rush begins.

For how long?

J.png 121 St Station Information

Beginning 12:01 AM Monday, Feb 6 until Summer 2017

Manhattan-bound 121 St platform will close for renovation until Summer 2017.

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png

Use nearby 111 St instead.

For service to this station, take the J.png to 111 St and transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound J.png.

For service from this station, take the J.png to Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av-JFK Airport and transfer 

to a Manhattan-bound J.png.

Alternate travel note:

To/from 121 St, take the Q56 bus instead. Transfer between trains and buses at 111 St.