SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Is the Staten Island Railway considered as B Division since it has 4 doors per car?

It is not part of the NYC Subway. It is a separate part of the MTA. Having 4 doors per car doesn't make something as part of the B Division. Lines that were part of the BRT/BMT, IND, or psuedo-IND lines (new lines) are in the B Division. The trains are about 10 feet wide, while A Division trains are 8 feet 9 inches wide and were IRT lines.

I went looking for the posts on the W train over the last couple of days as the Bay News (and for the record most likely the other local Brooklyn papers that publish the same thing)  issue of Jan. 13-19 2017 p.4, 18 has an article titled "W-w-what? W trains mysteriously appearing in Brooklyn" by Caroline Spivack..It is an interesting article that details many of the things that have been discussed here and on other forums. .

It discusses the the three W trains that originate in the AM out of the Coney Island Yard and the reluctance of the riders to board it when it operates on the R Line after 59th Street (Brooklyn)..

I know it is in the print eidtion but it may appear on their website BROOLYNDAILY.COM

It is not part of the NYC Subway. It is a separate part of the MTA. Having 4 doors per car doesn't make something as part of the B Division. Lines that were part of the BRT/BMT, IND, or psuedo-IND lines (new lines) are in the B Division. The trains are about 10 feet wide, while A Division trains are 8 feet 9 inches wide and were IRT lines.

SIR is more similar to LIRR and MNRR than the Subway. It follows FRA regulations and runs over former B&O trackage. The MTA took control of the line shortly after it took control of the LIRR.

just one question, why do they display things like "4Av express", when the train has already passed it. I don't see the point of displaying 4Av when you're about to terminate at like Astoria. 

Coding. The system is coded to display certain text based not on location, but by the route option selected by the train crew. Until that changes, expect to see those displays like that.

just one question, why do they display things like "4Av express", when the train has already passed it. I don't see the point of displaying 4Av when you're about to terminate at like Astoria. 

They don't change the signs enroute. Plus, it helps any riders who may be unfamiliar with the system get an idea of where the train came from (e.g. Somebody is waiting for an (R) at Lex/59th to get to say, the Queens Center Mall. They see an (N) pass by heading towards Astoria. They don't need it now, but they know if they do need it, it typical runs express down Broadway & 4th Avenue heading in the other direction). 

I find it interesting that because I know the track layout of the subway, when I see a "lost train" on a different trunk route it doesn't utterly confuse me like it does other riders and I have an Idea where it's going, and where it'll change trunk lines , etc.

Last week there were (R) trains running on 6th Ave and I knew where it came from and that it was probably going over the (D) line to Dekalb, but other people were just staring at the train like  :huh:  :blink:

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone have an idea of when Pennsylvania Av will reopen? In just over a week, it'll be three months into what was supposed to be a four weeks long emergency repair project. This station closure follows several months of bypassed service due to station renovations. What gives?

I know I've asked this before, but does anyone have an idea of when Pennsylvania Av will reopen? In just over a week, it'll be three months into what was supposed to be a four weeks long emergency repair project. This station closure follows several months of bypassed service due to station renovations. What gives?

lol... You know what gives... 

I was wondering the same thing...It opened after the renovation..Then a truck hit the mezz part of the station and been closed ever since...Im getting tired of walking to van siclen even tho its a short walk....I did look it up but no date on reopening

Just now I smelled smoke at the KG subway station. I saw a fire truck above ground. I was just about out of the station when I smelled it. I saw other people rushing, but people typically do that to catch the next Q10. It might be unconnected, but someone screamed as the train pulled in. I hope that no people are or get hurt.

Just now I smelled smoke at the KG subway station. I saw a fire truck above ground. I was just about out of the station when I smelled it. I saw other people rushing, but people typically do that to catch the next Q10. It might be unconnected, but someone screamed as the train pulled in. I hope that no people are or get hurt.

There were switch/signal problems southbound in the area around that time, but that kind of problem doesn't cause all that ruckus.

I think the FD was for something unrelated, the rushing was for the Q10, and the yelling was just some people punk school kid that likes to hear him/herself yell. Or maybe they announced the delays on the PA and someone got overly stressed.

Anyone know Why the (M) gets held before Essex Street to let a (J) or (Z) pull in?? Before both (M) and (J) trains pulled in together at Essex Street.

If they still pull in on separate tracks, it sounds like they re-did the signals coming from Chrystie... Edited by paulrivera