SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

My issue is, why would they hold the train when they don't cross BEFORE Essex Street.

I'm purely guessing and thinking out loud here, but maybe they're thinking that if both trains blow the station at the same time and run past a red signal, the merge after Essex is literally a few feet away and if the trains trip and go BIE right before the merge, they wouldn't stop in time, resulting in a collision.

I guess it was either going to be this or a 10mph timer...

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm purely guessing and thinking out loud here, but maybe they're thinking that if both trains blow the station at the same time and run past a red signal, the merge after Essex is literally a few feet away and if the trains trip and go BIE right before the merge, they wouldn't stop in time, resulting in a collision.

I guess it was either going to be this or a 10mph timer...

This is why a lot of modern systems have design rules that forbid curves and switches 100~300 feet from the platform. The exception, of course, are switches that must necessarily be placed close to the station to enable fast turning of trains.

Just a note that all the (Q) trains does not say via the Second Av line like before

* The selected (N)'s to 96 St-2 Av are programmed (Q) trains running on the (N) line: via Sea Beach and 4 Av Express then on it's regular route after the Bridge. (Southbound N's from 96 St are trains via the Second Av line (Q) line until 57 St-7 Av)

Edited by CH3348

Just a note that all the (Q) trains does not say via the Second Av line like before

* The selected (N)'s to 96 St-2 Av are programmed (Q) trains running on the (N) line: via Sea Beach and 4 Av Express then on it's regular route after the Bridge. (Southbound N's from 96 St are trains via the Second Av line (Q) line until 57 St-7 Av)

Someone yelled at me yesterday as I blazing the stairs to the (N) platform: “hold the door for me!” She was moving at a snails pace and I was late for work. I quipped: “it’s just a (Q) train.” And technically, I was 100% right. :)

Making my way towards the middle of the train later, I spied some confused passengers. I told them: “don’t worry. It’s practically an (N) train.” And I was 81% right.

No, but if people are so absorbed in their phones and computers that they can't be bothered to listen to the conductor's announcements, that's their problem, not the MTA's.

Besides, the R44-R46s used motorized rollsigns and those worked good enough.  Still cheaper than FIND computers...

Edited by R10 2952

No, but if people are so absorbed in their phones and computers that they can't be bothered to listen to the conductor's announcements, that's their problem, not the MTA's.

Besides, the R44-R46s used motorized rollsigns and those worked good enough.  Still cheaper than FIND computers...

Motorized roll signs? How did those work?

Simple.  Wiring from the cabs to the signs.  Train crew would flip a switch and the signs would scroll to the correct lineup.  All electro-mechanical, no hi-tech bullshit.  They did malfunction sometimes, but keep in mind that this was during the era of deferred maintenance, and the R44s were lemons anyway.

Ah, yes, because conductors had great diction when reading the announcements in the past. It's not like there was a reason we went to digital announcements...

Let's try this again...

I don't know what the big deal is about FIND.  Paper and ink are perfectly reasonable mediums of communication...

Except when the cars come from Coney Island, East New York or Jamaica and run on one of three wildly different routes. Some of you may recall when the 160s were ordered, original plans called for strip maps not unlike the ones found on the 142s and 143s. That idea was scrapped in favor of the FIND system because of the aforementioned sharing of cars among the lines. Strip maps would've been completely useless on a 160 that can one day be an (E) and be labelled as an (F) the next.

I agree with you on the first point, not so much on the second. If people are too involved in their phones to pay attention, tough luck on them. However, that shouldn't be the reason why a train's route information isn't readily available. On the subject of the old sign curtains on the 40s - 46s, even when they did work as intended, they were pretty useless if a train deviated from one of the ten or so routes printed on those signs. While not perfect, the dynamic nature of the FIND system allows for more flexibility in displaying route information. For instance, a train from Coney Island can still show the route of the (E) with a computerized FIND setup. That would likely not be possible with a sign curtain, unless they were extremely long to contain all of the normal routes. Of course, lengthening the sign curtains makes them more prone to failure because they got stuck, which incidentally, was the reason Transit eventually shifted away from those signs.

Barring equipment malfunctions/deterioration, it's worked fine for decades.  If a person can't understand human voice, that means they're either a prime candidate for the Darwin Award or have already been enslaved by machines.

A lot of things worked well for decades. It doesn't mean we shouldn't improve upon them. The fact remains that a lot of conductors don't have the best diction for conveying useful information. Some conductors sound great. Others, not so much. Rather than force all conductors to undergo training to sound like a television personality, it was much more easier to install automated announcements onto the newer trains to conform with the ADA laws.

I won't be fooled with that ADA stuff- a blind person can still hear, and a deaf person can still read.  If you think the ADA specifically mandates automated as opposed to audible announcements, and LED signs as opposed to readable signs, you're interpreting the law opportunistically.

And the law is still subject to how the executive branch interprets it- some administrations are overzealous, others are not diligent enough.

The aim of the ADA is honorable, but some of the requirements have been unnecessarily broad.

Unfortunately, with the current clowns running the country, we'll be lucky if any legislation designed to help the challenged will be left standing.

Today I rode a 160 on the (F) where one sign inside the car was stuck on the (E) to Jamaica Center showing the next stop as, 5th Ave - 53rd (But the time was correct though) while the other sign showed the correct signage for the (F), FIND said please listen to manual announcements, I wonder what causes such an bizarre malfunction of the signs?

Couple weeks ago for the first time in years I seen a 160 with an stuck FIND, it was an E train but the FIND was stuck on the (F) line :lol:  

Today I rode a 160 on the (F) where one sign inside the car was stuck on the (E) to Jamaica Center showing the next stop as, 5th Ave - 53rd (But the time was correct though) while the other sign showed the correct signage for the (F), FIND said please listen to manual announcements, I wonder what causes such an bizarre malfunction of the signs?

Couple weeks ago for the first time in years I seen a 160 with an stuck FIND, it was an E train but the FIND was stuck on the (F) line :lol:

I was on a (Q) yesterday, and one of the ceiling displays kept saying "THIS IS CANAL ST" :lol:. The other displays and the announcements were fine though. I think it's the sign of aging. Also, I remember the (Q) train program when the FIND displayed the Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center transfers at all of the local stops.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

I was on a (Q) yesterday, and one of the ceiling displays kept saying "THIS IS CANAL ST" :lol:. The other displays and the announcements were fine though. I think it's the sign of aging. Also, I remember the (Q) train program when the FIND displayed the Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center transfers at all of the local stops.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Still remember that (Q) program like it was yesterday. Also remember when the (N)(Q) FIND would get stuck at Brooklyn or Canal St, and the constantly broken screens.

Edited by BayParkwayW