SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I noticed that West Farms Sq and the Yankee Stadium station has a big gap that isn't used

That's from when the Polo Grounds shuttle used to connect to Jerome.

Speaking of Polo Grounds, there was a picture floating around that some guy managed to reopen the tunnel between Jerome and Sedgwick Avenue's on the Jerome bound side at Sedgwick. I don't know if he was able to reopen the side at Jerome (near Yankee Stadium). But from what I saw, the tunnels in BAD condition.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking back at some of the older subway timeables, and I just now noticed on the (J)(Z) that one trip from the (Z) was removed.

Older (Z) schedule:

Manhattan bound: 7:09, 7:21, 7:33, 7:43, 7:53, 8:03, 8:13

Newer schedule: 7:21-8:13

Queens bound: 4:45, 4:55, 5:05, 5:15, 5:25, 5:35, 5:45

Newer schedule: 4:55-5:45

Is there any particular reason one trip was removed from each peak hour?

Edited by S78 via Hylan

When and where do AM and PM rush hour put ins occur on the  (W)? (via Coney Island or City Hall?)

AM Rush: 6:24AM, 6:42AM and 6:50AM from CIY,

6:53AM then every 10 minutes till 7:43AM at Astoria,

7:55AM from City Hall to Canal St

PM Rush (during G/O): 2:23PM and 2:43PM (CIY),

5:24PM from City Hall to Canal St, 

--------

Also, the Train of Many Metals will run along the Second Av line during the summer

Edited by CH3348

Sometimes when waiting at 5th Aave on the (7) I hear and feel the 42nd street Shuttle going by. What is the profile of the area around Bryant Park, is it built like a 6 track line with a wall between services?

From the Bryant Park (B)(D)(F)(M) platform, that doesn't seem to be true. It curves on a strange grade, and there's an indentation in the ceiling towards the north where you can hear a ~4 car train go by (the Shuttle). It's raised in the middle, presumably to allow the (7) to go under.

AM Rush: 6:24AM, 6:42AM and 6:50AM from CIY,

6:53AM then every 10 minutes till 7:43AM at Astoria,

7:55AM from City Hall to Canal St

PM Rush (during G/O): 2:23PM and 2:43PM (CIY),

5:24PM from City Hall to Canal St,

--------

Also, the Train of Many Metals will run along the Second Av line during the summer

Back up back up, what was that?

I have a question concerning the (G) 's current termination at Court Square.

Since the (R) doesn't cover the Queens Plaza local platforms at night, would it be possible for the (G) to terminate there at those hours? And since the (G) can't turn after QP, would the segment between Court Square and QP be capable of bidirectional operation?

Edited by 46Dover

I have a question concerning the (G) 's current termination at Court Square.

Since the (R) doesn't cover the Queens Plaza local platforms at night, would it be possible for the (G) to terminate there at those hours? And since the (G) can't turn after QP, would the segment between Court Square and QP be capable of bidirectional operation?

It actually can. There's a relay track between Queens Plaza and the merge with the (F) (D5 track, same track the Holiday train uses to turn back), so if there really was some sort of problem where they can't be turned back at Court Sq, they can easily go to Queens Plaza to turn back.

But on the other hand, would such an extension really be worth it? Especially since there's already a connection at Court Sq for the (E) and (G).

It actually can. There's a relay track between Queens Plaza and the merge with the (F) (D5 track, same track the Holiday train uses to turn back), so if there really was some sort of problem where they can't be turned back at Court Sq, they can easily go to Queens Plaza to turn back.

But on the other hand, would such an extension really be worth it? Especially since there's already a connection at Court Sq for the (E) and (G).

I wouldn't say yes as much as I would say it wouldn't hurt just because of the cross platform transfer at QP as opposed to walking for distance at Court Square. I'd like to have both CS and QP available (hey, you can never have too much of a good thing right? :) ) Edited by 46Dover

From the Bryant Park (B)(D)(F)(M) platform, that doesn't seem to be true. It curves on a strange grade, and there's an indentation in the ceiling towards the north where you can hear a ~4 car train go by (the Shuttle). It's raised in the middle, presumably to allow the (7) to go under.

I meant on 42nd street in the 5th Ave (7) station. West of the station the tracks curve to go to 41st street, but I'm referring to the portion on 42nd street.

I would say yes because especially (on an unlimited ride MetroCard) you can then walk over (with such card) and take the (N) at Queensboro Plaza (of course, you can also take the (7) at Court Square, but if you're looking for 57th-60th it is easier).  

Manhattan bound platform at 121st on the (J) had its platforms completely removed, noticed the pillars that hold up the wall were completely rusted though at the bottom.

Always thought every elevated station rehab should get new concrete platforms and stairs. Pennsylvania Ave on the (3) still has the same stairs it had prior to the rehab and the same platforms, just with ADA strips. 

Manhattan bound platform at 121st on the (J) had its platforms completely removed, noticed the pillars that hold up the wall were completely rusted though at the bottom.

Always thought every elevated station rehab should get new concrete platforms and stairs. Pennsylvania Ave on the (3) still has the same stairs it had prior to the rehab and the same platforms, just with ADA strips. 

When they rehabbed Ditmas Avenue, they replaced some of the concrete on the southbound platform, but not all of it.

On the remaining older parts, you can still see the orange platform edge strip under the windscreen, which is from when it was an island platform serving the Culver Shuttle.