SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 9/2/2020 at 11:54 PM, Vulturious said:

So what you're saying basically is the (N) is running via QBL if this was to be the case. Because there is actually no way to have this other than basically replace it with the (N) because there would be another bottle neck at Brooklyn if the (R) went express and running to Bay Ridge instead of Coney. The plan would've been fine if it didn't screw another borough in the process. 

Pretty much, and that’s why I’m not a fan of doing an express (R) in Queens. I’m just pointing out that it is possible. Unfortunately, it would create a big bottleneck at DeKalb Ave in Brooklyn (on top of the big one we already have there), unless anyone can figure out how to get the (R) from the Manhattan Bridge to the 4th Avenue local tracks without interfering with the (B), (N) and (Q) along the way. 

On 9/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, Union Tpke said:

Wow. I personally don't understand why they feel to replace signs that are perfectly readable. If it is very faded and scratched, that is one thing. This is a waste of money at a time the agency doesn't have money to spare.

Agreed. Why waste money on signs that are still readable (as long as the information given hasn’t changed)? Personally I would have liked for them to keep the early 80s Aksidenz typeface signs. They could have been one of the subway’s identifying features.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a while: Boarded an (E) train from Sutphin Blvd-JFK to 7 Av-53 St around noon. When it got to 71 Av, it went express but maximum was 38 flying past Woodhaven Blvd and other local stations that also consisted of an (R) stopping at Grand Av-Newtown. Also at 71 Av (Jamaica bound), there was an (E) at that station but an (F) was behind not that far. 

I wonder if the speed changed on the Queens Blvd Express or that it was always like that. 

The (E) I was on is a Siemens R160B (8973-8977):(8998-9002)

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

It's been a while: Boarded an (E) train from Sutphin Blvd-JFK to 7 Av-53 St around noon. When it got to 71 Av, it went express but maximum was 38 flying past Woodhaven Blvd and other local stations that also consisted of an (R) stopping at Grand Av-Newtown. Also at 71 Av (Jamaica bound), there was an (E) at that station but an (F) was behind not that far. 

I wonder if the speed changed on the Queens Blvd Express or that it was always like that. 

The (E) I was on is a Siemens R160B (8973-8977):(8998-9002)

That might have to do with the CBTC testing happening or the (MTA) just testing out how fast trains should run be running. I'm pretty sure about 1 month ago, the (MTA) was doing high-speed testing on Culver for how fast they should make the curves. I think there was a video on YouTube showing the test in progress which was pretty fast roaring past 7th Avenue. Although, I'm too lazy to go and find the video myself.

37 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

That might have to do with the CBTC testing happening or the (MTA) just testing out how fast trains should run be running. I'm pretty sure about 1 month ago, the (MTA) was doing high-speed testing on Culver for how fast they should make the curves. I think there was a video on YouTube showing the test in progress which was pretty fast roaring past 7th Avenue. Although, I'm too lazy to go and find the video myself.

11 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

[video]

That second pass through 7th Ave. is something else! That was a real clip. But what's really interesting is the prospect of trains running through a platform without doing the usual RTO-required slowdown. If we could get rid of that...

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

That second pass through 7th Ave. is something else! That was a real clip. But what's really interesting is the prospect of trains running through a platform without doing the usual RTO-required slowdown. If we could get rid of that...

Speaking of slowdown, it sucks how they have to slow down because every time (D) runs express on West End because it was behind schedule either it got rerouted local on 4th Av or there wasn't enough trains running at the time, it's always running on the local tracks rather than switching onto the express track. If trains are going to run express on a local track, you might as well not have the slowdown or just have them switch to the express track. Sure it would take a while to get the switches lined up, but at least there wouldn't be a slowdown.

9 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

If trains are going to run express on a local track, you might as well not have the slowdown or just have them switch to the express track.

I’m pretty sure that's done as a way to protect standees on the platform and/or to  Vision Zero when there's a suicidal person on the platform.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

I’m pretty sure that's done as a way to protect standees on the platform and/or to  Vision Zero when there's a suicidal person on the platform.

Yeah i know that much, I wouldn't be one to really want this to happen, but it would be better to at least have them switch onto an express track. I forgot to add this in the other comment, but especially when they go express on a local track, people tend to be confused because they think their train is arriving, but is just slowing down and then speeding up. It is what it is at the end of the day, just a thought the MTA should do.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Yeah i know that much, I wouldn't be one to really want this to happen, but it would be better to at least have them switch onto an express track. I forgot to add this in the other comment, but especially when they go express on a local track, people tend to be confused because they think their train is arriving, but is just slowing down and then speeding up. It is what it is at the end of the day, just a thought the MTA should do.

Every time it happens on (1) or (6) the station makes announcements.

Dunno what happens on B-Div since I almost never ride those trains unless I’m going to an airport.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Good luck doing that on Nostrand Avenue!

41 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

How would the signaling system be confused?

Doesn't the signal usually change from red to green as you approach the end of the platform as it expects you to stop in time? But since you're doing a battery run you can't just barrel through the station or you might trip the signal at the end of the platform. 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Doesn't the signal usually change from red to green as you approach the end of the platform as it expects you to stop in time? But since you're doing a battery run you can't just barrel through the station or you might trip the signal at the end of the platform. 

No, I've never seen this unless of course the blocks ahead are occupied.