SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The 50 dollar fine is BS, what about people who eat on the train cause there's no indoor dining? If a cop sees me eating my lunch on the train I could get an 50 dollar ticket cause I can't eat inside of Burger King, bullshit.

They'll also probably say go eat somewhere else, but it is used a precaution because we still are in a pandemic and cases can sky-rocket out of nowhere. Although, I do agree about this part about not being able to find a place to eat because there isn't any to begin with. Sure there is the outside dinning, but even that has its flaws.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The 50 dollar fine is BS, what about people who eat on the train cause there's no indoor dining? If a cop sees me eating my lunch on the train I could get an 50 dollar ticket cause I can't eat inside of Burger King, bullshit.

I would say the bigger issue is why they would prioritize something like that when the rate of shootings is skyrocketing, property crimes have increased, and they still can't catch the vandals that have been smashing the windows on the (7) or the nutjob that's been throwing rocks at the buses out in SI.

Or on another level, one would think the powers that be could put the same amount of effort towards helping the people who have lost their jobs, the roof over their heads, and their next meal....

Edited by R10 2952

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

Word is that starting Monday, September 14: If you're not wearing/refuse to wear a mask on the train (or waiting at the platform), you'll be fined $50. 

And I bet I’ll see a bunch of cops violating that rule too.

I swear the city is finding any way possible to get money, and watch how minorities will be targeted like crazy until the city calls it off. 

On the R46s: there's a program reading on the (W) that'll have 96 St/2 Av. However, the Second Av line will all have "via" out of its own line like Broadway or Sea Beach for the (N) . Ho local or express indication. I wonder if Pitkin sets have this update to the R46s or that it's only the Coney Island fleet. 

On 9/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, Calvin said:

Word is that starting Monday, September 14: If you're not wearing/refuse to wear a mask on the train (or waiting at the platform), you'll be fined $50. 

....but vandals can get away with chucking shit at buses in Staten Island & breaking windows on subway trains... Amazing.

Let's see how many homeless people they'll go after with this.

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

....but vandals can get away with chucking shit at buses in Staten Island & breaking windows on subway trains... Amazing.

Let's see how many homeless people they'll go after with this.

If they did this properly, they'd give every homeless person they saw a mask for the first few days and make them clearly publicly available, and they wouldn't enforce it for a beginning grace period. And then they'd begin to ticket people (with an emphasis on non-homeless people). But honestly, I'm generally with this – some guy not wearing a mask puts the entire train car at risk (including the homeless, FWIW, who have even fewer options at moving away or going elsewhere), so there needs to be a serious consequence. Masks are free from the MTA, it's the easiest thing in the world, there just isn't an excuse for this. 

The vandalism they need to figure out asap, but this is also a big deal for the MTA, since as long as the majority of the public feels the subway is unsafe, the budget disaster will continue. Cities in Germany and Asia have figured this out, and ridership isn't as low there. It's all the MTA can do towards closing some of that budget gap before federal money (if it exists) comes in. So in a way, the people not wearing masks are costing the MTA a lot more money than the vandals with the broken windows.

I don't think there really is a realistic answer to this issue (masks). I put the over/under on one week before a stream of videos showing MTA personnel/NYPD officers having contentious interactions with the public shuts this whole policy down.

Don't get me wrong, there are incidents of officers being abusive and inappropriate. However, people know now that if you cause a big enough scene it becomes a "controversy" and the politicians will back down. I see people just walk onto the train with no mask at all and they just look at you like "Go ahead and say something, get yourself cut". If an officer says something, then out will come the cellphones and people screaming. 

10 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

I don't think there really is a realistic answer to this issue (masks). I put the over/under on one week before a stream of videos showing MTA personnel/NYPD officers having contentious interactions with the public shuts this whole policy down.

Don't get me wrong, there are incidents of officers being abusive and inappropriate. However, people know now that if you cause a big enough scene it becomes a "controversy" and the politicians will back down. I see people just walk onto the train with no mask at all and they just look at you like "Go ahead and say something, get yourself cut". If an officer says something, then out will come the cellphones and people screaming. 

After the protest that happened back in May & June for George Floyd, it seems like the NYPD has been more lenient. I’ve seen people with no mask past by the NYPD in the subway and they didn’t say anything. They really don’t enforce anything mask related like they did before. I literally saw two cars head down a one way the other day and they passed the NYPD and the police didn’t do jack. It blew my mind because that is definitely a ticket and I believe you could lose your license for that. So with this new mask enforcement rule I don’t really see them enforcing this too heavy because the last thing the city wants is an incident and then rioting cause you know some folks don’t know how to act. I think that’s also why there isn’t people on the buses enforcing the fare. The way the MTA made it seem is that many buses would have eagle team members “reminding” folks to pay, but in this day an age, the less interaction the better. 

11 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Which is both a sign that policing in America isn't fit for purpose, and the Facebook era of America made all of society as selfish and insular as the upper classes and racists that run/ran this country.

We're doomed.

16 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

After the protest that happened back in May & June for George Floyd, it seems like the NYPD has been more lenient. I’ve seen people with no mask past by the NYPD in the subway and they didn’t say anything. They really don’t enforce anything mask related like they did before. I literally saw two cars head down a one way the other day and they passed the NYPD and the police didn’t do jack. It blew my mind because that is definitely a ticket and I believe you could lose your license for that. So with this new mask enforcement rule I don’t really see them enforcing this too heavy because the last thing the city wants is an incident and then rioting cause you know some folks don’t know how to act. I think that’s also why there isn’t people on the buses enforcing the fare. The way the MTA made it seem is that many buses would have eagle team members “reminding” folks to pay, but in this day an age, the less interaction the better. 

You're confusing leniency with simply not giving a shit.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:53 PM, Deucey said:

Dunno what happens on B-Div since I almost never ride those trains unless I’m going to an airport.

So you're telling me, if you needed to get to Williamsburg, you would rather drive that take the (L) train

(Not meaning to be rude, just asking)

Edit: I know it's a stupid question

Edited by Bklyn Bound 2 Local

15 minutes ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

So you're telling me, if you needed to get to Williamsburg, you would rather drive that take the (L) train

(Not meaning to be rude, just asking)

Edit: I know it's a stupid question

It's a stupid question because driving wasn't mentioned in my post, nor in the one I quote replied to - which was about local trains going express on local tracks without announcements being made.

C38868-F6-4-FFD-4-C29-BF8-E-1-AAFE316510