BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Story time.

So after work, I managed to catch 5878 on the M34A(and for those inquiring, it does have Quill decals). As the bus turned over to 9th Avenue, I happened to notice a buff(an adult at that) that was literally at the front. The op had to open the front door only because there was traffic and two coach buses blocking the stop at 9th/42nd. As folks were going in to the bus, this buff was in the way, and that in itself was annoying.

As we made our way down 9th Avenue, this same buff got off at a stop just to get a picture of the bus, this kept happening at several other stops along the way. The people sitting behind me were getting annoyed at the dude, and the bus op looked completely over it and just wanted him off. It didn't help that he was delaying the bus to the point where an M34 caught up.

If you're a buff and you do this kind of nonsense, you guys gotta stop. And if any of ya'll read this and catch feelings over this post, that's your problem and I don't care. That was pretty annoying to go through, especially since I was trying to go the f**k home. 34th was already bad with traffic tonight, this just made things worse. Think before you act, and use some freaking common sense, especially on a bus that was progressively getting more crowded.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of buffs or whatever they are called, there's a guy that gets on at one of the stops I use in the City. Something about him screamed to me that he wasn't a commuter. Always arrives with his food and drink from Chick-fil-A for one and just seems awkward, as if he doesn't normally take the express bus. Just the vibe he gives me. Just wanted to say that if you arrive at a stop for the express bus, most of them have lines. Don't just run and wait right by the bus stop pole. That's another thing that had me looking, as this isn't the first time it's happened. Guy never skips anybody when boarding, but someone is going to chew him out just for doing it. A big no-no at most express bus stops. Now some stops don't have lines, but still function as if they did, so if you skip, you will hear about it. You see a line, get in the line in the order you arrived.

3 hours ago, SubBus said:

Drove across Linden/Caton the other day.  I was wondering, where does the Bay Ridge bound (B16)turn off Caton to head south?

Dahill rd.

I used to go to that Burger King on that corner quite often (when coming off the B103 from Downtown Brooklyn or coming off the BM3/4 from Manhattan)... Afterwards, I would walk over to the B35 & catch it at Church/McDonald.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Speaking of buffs or whatever they are called, there's a guy that gets on at one of the stops I use in the City. Something about him screamed to me that he wasn't a commuter. Always arrives with his food and drink from Chick-fil-A for one and just seems awkward, as if he doesn't normally take the express bus. Just the vibe he gives me. Just wanted to say that if you arrive at a stop for the express bus, most of them have lines. Don't just run and wait right by the bus stop pole. That's another thing that had me looking, as this isn't the first time it's happened. Guy never skips anybody when boarding, but someone is going to chew him out just for doing it. A big no-no at most express bus stops. Now some stops don't have lines, but still function as if they did, so if you skip, you will hear about it. You see a line, get in the line in the order you arrived.

.....doesn't sound like one to me lol

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Dahill rd.

I used to go to that Burger King on that corner quite often (when coming off the B103 from Downtown Brooklyn or coming off the BM3/4 from Manhattan)... Afterwards, I would walk over to the B35 & catch it at Church/McDonald.

Thanks bro...

As many times I drove in the area, I would always see the (B16)in the same section of  Caton Ave between Ocean and  CI Avenues.  Must be all that congestion.... :lol:

Yes I'm always tempted to go to the BK over there as well.  In fact, I thought that it was shut down because I didn't see it driving across at first....

1 hour ago, SubBus said:

Thanks bro...

As many times I drove in the area, I would always see the (B16)in the same section of  Caton Ave between Ocean and  CI Avenues.  Must be all that congestion.... :lol:

Yes I'm always tempted to go to the BK over there as well.  In fact, I thought that it was shut down because I didn't see it driving across at first....

Caton av. used to be a good Church av. bypass.... Not so much anymore, between too many people having caught on to using it for that purpose, and the double-parking parents dropping off/picking up their kids to/from school... The part of Caton that's gotten worse over the past handful of years or so (maybe even a little before that timeframe), is the portion b/w McDonald & CI av.... So depending on time of day, Caton av. b/w McDonald & Flatbush, I'd say offers no difference in terms of time savings....

Don't feel too bad.... Lol.... That part of the B16 b/w McDonald & 39th st is pretty forgettable :lol:

Getting a Q35 from Rockaway Park to Kings Plaza use to be 10-minute wait around except late nights during summer weekends. This time, when one leaves to Flatbush-Brooklyn College, next one departs in about 20 minutes. Saving the 20 minutes, saw that a Q22 was arriving nearby Beach 116 St bound for Beach 169 St where the Q35 makes a loop. Ended up taking the Q22 to the last stop and 5 minutes later, two of each Q35s arrive at that stop before follows another making a loop to the Bridge to Flatbush Av in Brooklyn. Saves one from waiting a long while at Beach 149 St. 

This Past Sunday reminded me how the Q114 sucks ass after 6pm. I don't know how the (MTA) thought it was a good idea to end Q113 service after 6pm on a sunday was a good idea. I used to live along the Q111,Q113 and the Q114 (originally the Q113 local) and It was never this bad.

44 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’d like to know why 99% of people along Boston Road continue to get on the 60/61 delaying it even further while empty Bx30’s go by.

Maybe because they're trying to get to Fordham, which the Bx30 doesn't serve?

7 hours ago, Bx41 boi said:

did anyone even remember the LFS Classic Existed in NYC or is it just my dad who remembered

995 was a demonstrator from 1998 that was then sold Verreault Transport in Quebec.

956 and 957 were assigned to MTA Bridges and Tunnels.

post-3369-1235282744.jpg

48 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

995 was a demonstrator from 1998 that was then sold Verreault Transport in Quebec.

956 and 957 were assigned to MTA Bridges and Tunnels.

post-3369-1235282744.jpg

As an aside, am I the only one that sees this and thinks of the CTA?

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

As an aside, am I the only one that sees this and thinks of the CTA?

The MTA got them straight from Nova and not as demoes, I just wonder why they chose to have the CTA scheme. Maybe it was easier for Nova to just apply the same scheme instead of making a new one for the MTA?

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

The MTA got them straight from Nova and not as demoes, I just wonder why they chose to have the CTA scheme. Maybe it was easier for Nova to just apply the same scheme instead of making a new one for the MTA?

DId MTA B&T even have a scheme back then? I feel like their vehicles have been a mush of various colors until the Cuomo scheme a few years ago

On 8/13/2022 at 12:56 AM, Cait Sith said:

Story time.

So after work, I managed to catch 5878 on the M34A(and for those inquiring, it does have Quill decals). As the bus turned over to 9th Avenue, I happened to notice a buff(an adult at that) that was literally at the front. The op had to open the front door only because there was traffic and two coach buses blocking the stop at 9th/42nd. As folks were going in to the bus, this buff was in the way, and that in itself was annoying.

As we made our way down 9th Avenue, this same buff got off at a stop just to get a picture of the bus, this kept happening at several other stops along the way. The people sitting behind me were getting annoyed at the dude, and the bus op looked completely over it and just wanted him off. It didn't help that he was delaying the bus to the point where an M34 caught up.

If you're a buff and you do this kind of nonsense, you guys gotta stop. And if any of ya'll read this and catch feelings over this post, that's your problem and I don't care. That was pretty annoying to go through, especially since I was trying to go the f**k home. 34th was already bad with traffic tonight, this just made things worse. Think before you act, and use some freaking common sense, especially on a bus that was progressively getting more crowded.

I thought they only do that on the trains as they get off snap a pic and get back on (That's annoying in itself) . Nah If i was on that bus, He would have stayed off. Esp if I'm going home.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:56 AM, Cait Sith said:

Story time.

Foamer would be the politically correct term to describe this person, but yeah, I agree with you 100%. There are ways to do busfanning, and that is not one of them.

12138740_081822-wabc-bus-enforecement-ti

https://abc7ny.com/bus-lane-violations-crackdown-mta-manhattan/12138112/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1wWWB4dW3olLbaLvpy2kjcOGeJQoIc7iO2WMh2UULsC8wnmCOVpmDIlSg

Currently, parking tickets are distributed as MTA officers board the bus and when they see a vehicle blocking the lane: stepping out and then given. Mentioned that it was around the East Side today. 

Edited by Calvin

On 8/4/2022 at 7:19 PM, Cait Sith said:

Word is the op passed away due to heart problems.

From what I saw in a News 12 report, the driver is still in the hospital but in a coma. She still has a chance to survive and she did unfortunately suffer a heart attack that caused her to crash the bus.

Link to the clip for those interested: https://youtu.be/Y0RhnZ2ZJ5w

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382
Erroneously credited Pix 11 for the news report.