BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

If you're referring to the 2015-16 XD60s, 5364 failed during its testing period, thus delaying the order. As for the 2015-16 LFS', SEPTA had to recall theirs (I believe, not too sure), and the MTA decided to have our buses spec'd like SEPTA's to speed up the order.

5364 failed about 4-5 times. Even broke down en route to Zerega.

As for the LFSs, they're 2014-2015 models.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a really good ride on the B46 on the way to Kings Plaza. The trip started at Malcolm X/DeKalb and only took about 51 minutes to complete, not to mention that the bus had no more than a fully seated load. Then again, I passed up two LTDs before I got on.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Those AM QM18s get packed! I can understand why too. Took the 7:42am trip from Liberty Avenue and that bus got pretty packed once we got to Queens Blvd. I can't understand why the AM trips get a lot of people, but the PM trips mostly carry air.

I feel it's due to the rush hour traffic. There is at least one PM trip which does fine, but the rest lack a lot of riders. I believe it's similar to the QM3, and I have to say that the QM24 to some extent exhbits the same type of ridership pattern. Those PM trips are delayed usually. 

I wonder if using Queens Blvd straight down would make the route faster, in addition to the QM21. The LIE gets congested during the PM hours moreso than the AM. They wouldn't have to deal with LIE traffic, and they don't have to worry about merging onto Queens Blvd at Eliot Avenue, which is congested at that time (it may take 2-3 lights to pass that intersection most times).

I feel it's due to the rush hour traffic. There is at least one PM trip which does fine, but the rest lack a lot of riders. I believe it's similar to the QM3, and I have to say that the QM24 to some extent exhbits the same type of ridership pattern. Those PM trips are delayed usually. 

I wonder if using Queens Blvd straight down would make the route faster, in addition to the QM21. The LIE gets congested during the PM hours moreso than the AM. They wouldn't have to deal with LIE traffic, and they don't have to worry about merging onto Queens Blvd at Eliot Avenue, which is congested at that time (it may take 2-3 lights to pass that intersection most times).

I kinda think it would. I took the x64 back into Queens today and we were going through Queens Blvd pretty nicely, even with the moderate bits of traffic. I kinda get the rush hour bit, as going into Manhattan today was smooth sailing. Only traffic we hit was in Manhattan. I might take that QM18 trip more often now over the E.

Had a really good ride on the B46 on the way to Kings Plaza. The trip started at Malcolm X/DeKalb and only took about 51 minutes to complete, not to mention that the bus had no more than a fully seated load. Then again, I passed up two LTDs before I got on.

Not bad. You had a good driver. These days the B46 drivers drive like shit. Especially the female drivers. I'm not disrespecting in anyway. However, sometimes you could wish that the commute can be a bit faster instead of the molasses driving I've been observing as of late with Flatbush Depot drivers. Just my 2 cents.

Carry on.

Not bad. You had a good driver. These days the B46 drivers drive like shit. Especially the female drivers. I'm not disrespecting in anyway. However, sometimes you could wish that the commute can be a bit faster instead of the molasses driving I've been observing as of late with Flatbush Depot drivers. Just my 2 cents.

Carry on.

The B/O I had was a woman and she drove pretty well. We did hit some traffic between Fulton and Atlantic and near Eastern Parkway as usual, but it was smooth sailing afterward.

The B/O I had was a woman and she drove pretty well. We did hit some traffic between Fulton and Atlantic and near Eastern Parkway as usual, but it was smooth sailing afterward.

That's per usual traffic. The one I had the last 2 nights on the 46 heading towards KP driving a mere 20mph. Stopping at all red lights and these were limited buses I tell you. However, not all are bad as indicated in your post. You just have those few who don't make the riding experience as great as that particular driver.

Sad thing is, that's not much quicker than what the schedule calls for. It's good that you had a quick trip and a good B/O, but it shouldn't be so uncommon that it's worth talking about. 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Has anyone ever been on a Nova RTS where the bus is moving, then the driver stops, the bus shuts off, and the driver tells everyone inside to move to one side because the other one lost pressure and it has to be restarted? Happened to me.

these RTS suck and need to go 

Anyway does anyone know how much usage the QM4 get around pre-rush hour?(6:30am-7:30am)

Soooooo....them Xcelsiors at Casey Stengel, quite a bunch of them are out of service for very dubious reasons.

No wonder they kept the 2 Orion Vs.

Speaking of which, I saw 7370 on the Q44 +SBS the other day.. It had a messed up sign. The blue background was now mixed in with an orange background and it looked like some sort of orange brown. The text was blue instead, and I have to admit it kinda looked nice with the blue text and dark-orangey background. There's also some other buses that have/had messed up signs, like 7426 and 7367. 7367 (pre-Q44 SBS) had this blue patch in its sign, and 7426 when I saw it the other day had random green lines on the front sign, reminded me of Christmas in a way. Those buses sway like crazy under uneven roads as well, which kind of is uncomfortable. 

Edited by R188 7857

I don't like the XD40'S on Casey stengel routes. I felt that Casey Stengel should of got the LFS instead. The LFS look nice especially on the q31 bus when they do trippers out of Queens Village. In my opinion I think the LFS 2014-15 model look better than the XD40'S.

There be a lot of XD40'S on the q20A/B.

these RTS suck and need to go 

Anyway does anyone know how much usage the QM4 get around pre-rush hour?(6:30am-7:30am)

The 1996's RTS are the better ones.

Edited by Far rockaway

lol... Not surprised... Crappy AC... They look good on the outside, but I guess they're total garbage.

That they are...that's what happens when they go the cheap route.

Speaking of which, I saw 7370 on the Q44 +SBS the other day.. It had a messed up sign. The blue background was now mixed in with an orange background and it looked like some sort of orange brown. The text was blue instead, and I have to admit it kinda looked nice with the blue text and dark-orangey background. There's also some other buses that have/had messed up signs, like 7426 and 7367. 7367 (pre-Q44 SBS) had this blue patch in its sign, and 7426 when I saw it the other day had random green lines on the front sign, reminded me of Christmas in a way. Those buses sway like crazy under uneven roads as well, which kind of is uncomfortable. 

They sway because they're lightweight, a prime "feature" of the Xcelsiors to promote fuel efficiency. It definitely does make for an uncomfortable ride. Their suspensions aren't stiff either. They also way in certain wind speeds and certain speeds over 40mph.

Edited by Cait Sith

I don't like the XD40'S on Casey stengel routes. I felt that Casey Stengel should of got the LFS instead. The LFS look nice especially on the q31 bus when they do trippers out of Queens Village. In my opinion I think the LFS 2014-15 model look better than the XD40'S.

There be a lot of XD40'S on the q20A/B.

The 1996's RTS are the better ones.

it not even about looks all Queens NYCT depos handle pretty much the toughest and most demanding line and the LFS does a much better job than the XD40's which are better for cities that don't get many people riding their buses probably could survive the downtown Manhattan routes because they really don't get too crowded.

Its crazy how Orion stopped making buses, with New Flyer putting out sub par buses and the 3G being better performers than those first batch of LFSs we got as well as the XD40s, MTA probably could have single handily kept Orion afloat lol.

Prior to the 3G all those Orion LF buses had there fair share of issues, then they make the 3G which AFAIK is a very good bus with no major issues then they stop making buses. -_-

Edited by trainfan22

Good luck getting a 100% made in America bus. That costs waaay too much for any TA to even bother.

Yeah with the labor costs for these "unions", I guess that's asking too much.  <_<  As someone who purchases a lot of Made in USA products, I must say that American products are basically a luxury item these days, even though they aren't imports. They often times cost more than the things I buy from Japan or Western Europe.