BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the new Select Bus routes, which one has seen the biggest jump in ridership?

B44, Q44, M86 or M60?

Id put my money on the M60 just on the illusion of a quicker ride to the Airport.. And to be fair it's not bad.. east of 2nd ave.

I don't think anyone can say since I don't believe there are figures out yet for all of those routes.  Perhaps sometime next year...

True.

Out of the new Select Bus routes, which one has seen the biggest jump in ridership?

B44, Q44, M86 or M60?

I would say the M60. 125th street traffic is not like hell

B44 sucks like hell. Nostrand Avenue traffic is HELL.

Just hope the B46SBS+ turns out good with the 48 buses that are plasured for SBS+ service.

Speaking of high ridership routes, the Bx12's annual summer schedule is online. I'm incredibly pleased with the weekend service levels being provided. For the vast majority of the day on Saturday and a decent chunk of Sunday Bx12 local and SBS service will combine to exceed 20 BPH with some hours seeing close to 30 BPH. I'm not impressed with the severe weekday peak reductions though. 17 BPH during the AM Rush gets cut down to 12 Westbound and 11 Eastbound on the SBS and the local will run on a flat 10 minute headway for the entire duration of weekday Orchard Beach service which includes rush hours. 

There's a huge gap in B46 service down Utica Avenue... two LTDs are bunched together, and the next LCL bus after that is 3.1 miles away, with the next LTD 4.2 miles away. Within that 3.1 mile distance, 8 or so B46's (LCL and LTD) are fairly bunched together heading to Kings Plaza.

I don't know, seeing as how the B46 is a highly used route, it kinda surprises me... but it is the MTA, after all. Hopefully SBS helps the line when it starts tomorrow.

There's a huge gap in B46 service down Utica Avenue... two LTDs are bunched together, and the next LCL bus after that is 3.1 miles away, with the next LTD 4.2 miles away. Within that 3.1 mile distance, 8 or so B46's (LCL and LTD) are fairly bunched together heading to Kings Plaza.

I don't know, seeing as how the B46 is a highly used route, it kinda surprises me... but it is the MTA, after all. Hopefully SBS helps the line when it starts tomorrow.

This is another systemwide issue that needs to be looked at. I've been vocal about wide gaps in Bx12 SBS service that can at times be nearly 30 minutes wide and given what I observe on BusTime other high frequency routes are having such problems as well. You get these seriously wide gaps and then a whole swarm of buses come in close together to close the gap. There's no way you're maximizing ridership on the high ridership routes with buses running like that.

This is another systemwide issue that needs to be looked at. I've been vocal about wide gaps in Bx12 SBS service that can at times be nearly 30 minutes wide and given what I observe on BusTime other high frequency routes are having such problems as well. You get these seriously wide gaps and then a whole swarm of buses come in close together to close the gap. There's no way you're maximizing ridership on the high ridership routes with buses running like that.

Speaking of service fluxuations, there's a ton of Bx12 LCLs in service (way more than there are SBS' on the line. Not sure if it's due to the fact that it's running the full route today (Inwood to Orchard Beach), or if its all the KB loaners on the route, but there are a lot of buses on the route for Sunday service.

Speaking of service fluxuations, there's a ton of Bx12 LCLs in service (way more than there are SBS' on the line. Not sure if it's due to the fact that it's running the full route today (Inwood to Orchard Beach), or if its all the KB loaners on the route, but there are a lot of buses on the route for Sunday service.

That's a yearly tradition over the summer to give the local high frequencies for the weekend Orchard Beach crowds. The SBS is currently running on 4-5 minute headways as I post so it should be about even between them.

Usually the Orchard Beach buses are run by KB. Idk how they're doing it this year with the Bx5 not going there.