BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

There's more than enough nuggets (that's what I call the wrapped XD40s, long story lol) to spare. Service is usually less frequent on weekends compared to weekdays, therefore less buses being used.

That's a copy. However, when the fall pick begins will weekend service on the 46 pick up or those service levels will remain the same. (SBS) wise.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: What are the requirements for a certain depot that can use hybrid buses?

(example: Eastchester Depot, and Flatbush Depot in the past before the NGs were delivered)

They have to have the equipment to maintain the engine, batteries and the hybrid drives.

Question: What are the requirements for a certain depot that can use hybrid buses?

(example: Eastchester Depot, and Flatbush Depot in the past before the NGs were delivered)

They have to have a battery conditioner, IVN package set up, an area where a fall protection cable with harnesses are set up so the roof/battery tubs can be accessed, and all of the rest of the miscellaneous tools and equipment needed to service the hybrid drive components

Talk about friendships!!!

This morning at about 10am, I was running late to a JFK airport convention near the Q6 terminus. I told the MTA dispatcher about my story and I got the ride of a life time. He let me on a NOT IN SERVICE bus which was going back to the depot. Lesson Learnt-MTA dispatchers are nice people [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Talk about friendships!!!

This morning at about 10am, I was running late to a JFK airport convention near the Q6 terminus. I told the MTA dispatcher about my story and I got the ride of a life time. He let me on a NOT IN SERVICE bus which was going back to the depot. Lesson Learnt-MTA dispatchers are nice people [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I once got a ride from a bus operator I knew from always getting his bus home from middle school. I was running late to Fort Hamilton HS so he drove me down Shore Road on his way to Ulmer Park

So today in Greenpoint I saw a 1999-2000 C40LF numbered 0018 or 0019 with fictional transit logos, which I'm guessing is a movie bus. If anyone has any info on that one I'm curious to know

That one used to be 847. Unknown if it's still CNG or not since the tanks were expired once we were done with it.

I wonder if the MTA is considering Artics for the B42 someday... I seen people get flagged on the B42 during the midday afternoon going towards the (L) station multiple times. AFAIK getting flagged on a NYCT route off peak, specifically during midday's is pretty rare.

I live on the line, and I don't think I've seen that, but part of the reason is because the drivers on this line like to play games. They are getting electric buses tho.

And what type of games do they play exactly? It's amazing that even with BusTime the nonsense still continues.

The big problem is that the majority of people don't complain because of course to the average person complaining is too time consuming. I hear people complain at bus stops and wherever all the time but instead of doing that complain to the MTA themeselves. I know you and the folks of Riverdale complain anytime there is a problem with service and stuff actually gets done. Leave things up to the MTA and they will think everything's running fine.

Once again, one tube of the Queens Midtown Tunnel is closed. This time, the Manhattan tube is closed, and the Queens tube is closed. They never post any alert though for all the express buses because of the extensive delays this causes, especially in the afternoon. I wish they also allowed for buses to take a detour to bypass some of that traffic at the very least. IMO, it's retarded to just let BO's take the normal route, when both Hampton Jitney and 7 Bus leave the expressway to enter through 21 Street (other people who know the street layout do that to avoid the traffic, so it would take less time to get to the tunnel, and take less time to get to Manhattan). The delays are sometimes more than an hour (I remember once being on the express bus for two hours and 20 minutes, for a ride which should be 35 minutes). 

Anyways, all the Queens express buses and the BM5 would stay on the LIE until exit 16, then take exit 16 to Hunters Point Avenue, which then turns into 49 Avenue. Alternatively, buses can exit at exit 15, then take Borden Avenue to Van Dam Street, and make a right onto Van Dam, and then a left on 49 Avenue, and then a left on 21 Street, to the QMT entrance ramp.

That saves at least 30 minutes of sitting in traffic. It's annoying to be moving a few inches a minute.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

The M42 (and most of the cross towns between 14th and 86th Streets) should be a light rail line with tracks in the center, but apparently the MTA disagrees.

You would need a rail yard to maintain & store the Light Rail vehicles, no room anywhere in Manhattan

SIR North Shore line and the Bay Ridge branch are the best places for light rail in NYC IMO.

Once again, one tube of the Queens Midtown Tunnel is closed. This time, the Manhattan tube is closed, and the Queens tube is closed. They never post any alert though for all the express buses because of the extensive delays this causes, especially in the afternoon. I wish they also allowed for buses to take a detour to bypass some of that traffic at the very least. IMO, it's retarded to just let BO's take the normal route, when both Hampton Jitney and 7 Bus leave the expressway to enter through 21 Street (other people who know the street layout do that to avoid the traffic, so it would take less time to get to the tunnel, and take less time to get to Manhattan). The delays are sometimes more than an hour (I remember once being on the express bus for two hours and 20 minutes, for a ride which should be 35 minutes). 

Anyways, all the Queens express buses and the BM5 would stay on the LIE until exit 16, then take exit 16 to Hunters Point Avenue, which then turns into 49 Avenue. Alternatively, buses can exit at exit 15, then take Borden Avenue to Van Dam Street, and make a right onto Van Dam, and then a left on 49 Avenue, and then a left on 21 Street, to the QMT entrance ramp.

That saves at least 30 minutes of sitting in traffic. It's annoying to be moving a few inches a minute.

Well, looks like they actually posted an alert, for once:

Delays  Posted: 08/27/2016 11:34AM 

QM2QM5QM6QM15 and BM5 buses are running with delays in both directions due to construction in the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

Allow additional travel time.

EDIT: Looks like they expanded it to just about everything in the LIC area 

Delays  Posted: 08/27/2016 11:49AM 

B62, Q32, Q39, Q60, Q66, Q67, Q69, Q100, Q102, QM2QM4, QM5QM6QM15 and BM5 buses are running with delays in both directions due to construction in the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

Allow additional travel time.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

To bad it won't be for long I've had a hard time tracking 9071 since my bustime is currently acting up.

Worked for me. It was the next bus at the stop anyway, but BusTime tracked it fine. Not sure I can remember the last time I rode on a bus that old--probably one of the GMC rebuilds from a few years back.

The big problem is that the majority of people don't complain because of course to the average person complaining is too time consuming. I hear people complain at bus stops and wherever all the time but instead of doing that complain to the MTA themeselves. I know you and the folks of Riverdale complain anytime there is a problem with service and stuff actually gets done. Leave things up to the MTA and they will think everything's running fine.

Definitely true... 

----

Side note... So I've been staying in the city and sometimes need to use the M101 from the express bus... Does Tuskegee Depot not have any new artics? All they put out are those skeevy old buses.