BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

So as mentioned by transitman in the scrapped buses thread, 6536 was scrapped b/c of front end damage... anyone know what hit it/what it hit?

It's gotta be the first 2005 Orion scrapped... a shame IMO but it makes sense at least

The LaGuardia effect. You put something in the triboro coach depot 70% chance of being destroyed or damaged or dirty.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Nice I fixed a sentence I somehow didn't finish.

Looks like we're getting close to the end of an era at WF. The Orion VII CNGs have been leaving fast as of late, and only SEVEN of them are left (145, 7792, 7815-7819). That's about the same amount of D60s at GH, which is also severely low. 

It seems as if the O7 CNGs will finally meet their end by the end of this month given that the tanks are beyond expiring and in poor condition. I will miss these buses, so catch them while we can! 

With the rate that RTS's are leaving ENY it seems like the last depot to operate RTS will come down to FLA, UP or JA. Please let it be FLA or UP haha.

As for the D60HF, the WF units are the easiest to find for me, I seen one on the BX15 this past Saturday, was gonna ride it but it had snow chains so I passed. Hate riding buses with snow chains. 

Just now, trainfan22 said:

JA

With them starting to get 775X+ XD40s, i wouldn't put them in contention to possibly be the last depot.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

As for the D60HF, the WF units are the easiest to find for me, I seen one on the BX15 this past Saturday, was gonna ride it but it had snow chains so I passed. Hate riding buses with snow chains. 

It helps that they have the most d60s and relatively few nonSBS artic routes

17 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

With the rate that RTS's are leaving ENY it seems like the last depot to operate RTS will come down to FLA, UP or JA. Please let it be FLA or UP haha.

Yeah it's a shame that the RTS are leaving ENY pretty fast. First JFK, then LGA, then Grand bit the dust for their RTS. Now ENY may be the next depot to lose all its RTS. Flatbush and Ulmer may be the last since they haven't lost any RTS whatsoever in a long time and the XD40s aren't being diverted to those two depots. 

The RTS are basically my favorite buses; nothing will ever come close to beating them in my opinion. 

The D60HFs I also like, but they have also been dropping fast as of late. I like the green-signed ones better because they're more nostalgic than the orange ones. I've fanned them a lot as of late, and I've caught them on plenty of routes. 

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

Yeah it's a shame that the RTS are leaving ENY pretty fast. First JFK, then LGA, then Grand bit the dust for their RTS. Now ENY may be the next depot to lose all its RTS. Flatbush and Ulmer may be the last since they haven't lost any RTS whatsoever in a long time and the XD40s aren't being diverted to those two depots. 

The RTS are basically my favorite buses; nothing will ever come close to beating them in my opinion. 

The D60HFs I also like, but they have also been dropping fast as of late. I like the green-signed ones better because they're more nostalgic than the orange ones. I've fanned them a lot as of late, and I've caught them on plenty of routes. 

Ulmer Park or East New York is next after Jamaica for the XD40 order. So as of right now it appears that Flatbush will more than likely retain its RTS until it receives XD60’s. Remember, Ulmer Park would of been done if DOB didn’t shift some of their XD40 buses to West Farms. 

8 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I thought they would be moving the NG out for the LFS buses but there doing the exact opposite.

I'm guessing Yukon might be changing their mind in terms of recieving these Nova LFS's or the Nova LFS's are being delayed

4 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I'm guessing Yukon might be changing their mind in terms of recieving these Nova LFS's or the Nova LFS's are being delayed

The Nova order is definitely delayed. Now that Jamaica is getting more XD40’s some of those NG’s have to go somewhere. Usually JA swaps with Queens Village and Stengel. This is a first that Jamaica is sending buses outside the mainland to Staten Island. 

15 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The Nova order is definitely delayed. Now that Jamaica is getting more XD40’s some of those NG’s have to go somewhere. Usually JA swaps with Queens Village and Stengel. This is a first that Jamaica is sending buses outside the mainland to Staten Island. 

The Nova LFS might be delayed due to what the MTA has in store for Staten Island since they are planning to have the new OMNY on those buses starting April or June

13 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

The Nova LFS might be delayed due to what the MTA has in store for Staten Island since they are planning to have the new OMNY on those buses starting April or June

The LFS are delayed due to a failed audit as ENY pointed out. It has nothing to do with OMNY. YU is still set to receive the LFS as transit wants the hybrids off the island.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey can someone explain how Bus Interlining works? I don’t understand how the term interlining makes sense when it comes to buses

One B/O does one roundtrip on a route, then may end up on layover and continue with another roundtrip with a different route in the same area or would run light to another terminal and serve another route a depot has runs with.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey can someone explain how Bus Interlining works? I don’t understand how the term interlining makes sense when it comes to buses

No problem.... But first, I'd like to know what is your understanding of the term, interlining?

Let's start there, bud...

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

It's like this:
-A bus op starts at Spring Creek leaving the garage to do a round trip on the B100, then deadheads from Kings Hwy to Brooklyn College to do a roundtrip from Brooklyn College to Canarsie as a B103 Limited. Later deadheads to either Williams Av for break (later doing a roundtrip to Dowtown Brooklyn).

Edited by Calvin

Why do some B/Os drive insanely slow? I get that sometimes it's with scheduling, but on the B9 today there was one b/o who almost drove at walking speed with no cars in front of him and then the B9 behind him managed to catch up, creating bunching. Although weekend B9 service in general is atrocious. Only reason I haven't started taking an uber yet is cuz at least the bus is only S2.75,

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Why do some B/Os drive insanely slow? I get that sometimes it's with scheduling, but on the B9 today there was one b/o who almost drove at walking speed with no cars in front of him and then the B9 behind him managed to catch up, creating bunching. Although weekend B9 service in general is atrocious. Only reason I haven't started taking an uber yet is cuz at least the bus is only S2.75,

I was on an B83 that crawled for no reason a couple days ago, bus got caught in traffic around Broadway Junction, Alabama Ave area and still crawled, and our follower passed us and we never caught up to him.

13 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Then you get why they drive insanely slow.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Does daylight savings affect service overnight? (Ex. Bus departs C.I at 1AM and gets to Spring Crk Twrs at 2AM but it's 3AM today with a B82 to depart C.I at 2AM)

Guess that thay just skip the 2AM departure.